MG4 lane keeping assist

Johnny g

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,
I am looking to purchase a 2023 MG4 ev in the next month.
Based on looks and value for money they look worthwhile, however I have noticed on videos that the lane keeping assist and front collision assist can be very agressive. Is this still the case or has the software been updated?
Thanks John

Hello fellow namesake 😊….I wouldn’t let that put you off your purchase. Both can be turned off in a few seconds. The newer and later software does seem to improve LKA. Front collision can also be set to different sensitivities and reports of full blown emergency stops are fairly rare.

Thanks Jonnyg for your prompt reply. Can the LKA be assigned to the favourite button on the steering?
I'm afraid not.
We have a 2023 Trophy and I don't find LKA a problem, although my wife doesn't like it and it's on our pre-flight checklist to turn off. I don't like the automatic headlights during the day, so I turn these off on the stalk.

Have a look at this thread.

And this one.

Me, I don't want my car to take control of the steering wheel (at least not above about 10 mph, maybe the TJA has a place) so I just turn it off before I start. It only takes a few seconds.

The regular LKA has been updated last year, making it a little less aggressive. I think it's usable now.

The Emergency Lane Keeping Aid however, can still be extremely dangerous if you ask me. No matter the software version. It almost caused a very severe crash on the highway for me a few weeks ago. Please do yourself and loved ones a favor and turn this off every time you use this car.

The only time it's been a real pain is when I've let my concentration lapse and drifted over the white line. A slight twitch on the steering wheel and a beep to let my wife know we need to swop drivers...
Exactly the same for me. You can feel the car is correcting you but it is not over aggressive.I use the Emergency Lane Keep setting on medium intensity. I also agree that the longer I have driven the car the fewer warnings I get, so I have adapted my style of driving to the car, which can only be a good thing as I am now keeping away from lines more than I was!

2 Years, thousands of complaints, at least one serious accident. And they were able to come up with a button on the drop down menu to temporarily disable it! What an accomplishment :)
Yeah it's honestly quite lazy when the car have two shortcut buttons on the steering wheel as well.

Oddly, I never noticed LKA, and I've got a few posts on here saying I didn't find it a problem.

Last month we got a full software upgrade from the dealer (in an effort to sort DAB radio issues, among other niggles). And now I notice LKA a lot. My wife has always turned it off before every drive. I didn't but now I might.

I think I need to relax into trusting it. It sometimes feels as if it's wrenching you towards a line, but it's probably actually following it exactly.

They are very aware of the problem, and the standard version got a one swipe shortcut last update.
Give us driver profiles!

Start in a standard configuration, to satisfy NCAP. Give us a one-tap "Driver 1" "Driver 2" etc. to store and reload our preferences, such as sport/normal/eco mode, LKA, all of that.

2 Years, thousands of complaints, at least one serious accident. And they were able to come up with a button on the drop down menu to temporarily disable it! What an accomplishment :)
Thats terrible, can you let us know the serious accident? i know there was one in Norway that the driver blamed LKA for, but nothing proved.

Thats terrible, can you let us know the serious accident? i know there was one in Norway that the driver blamed LKA for, but nothing proved.
Not a serious accident, but another member on this forum damaged his car because of the LKA.

It's probably no worse than any other car that has it.
The main problem is, if you don't like it you have to turn it off every time you get in the car, you can't permanently turn it off since mid 2023 2022 thanks to the nanny state bureaucracy at NCAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably no worse than any other car that has it.
The main problem is, if you don't like it you have to turn it off every time you get in the car, you can't permanently turn it off since mid 2022 thanks to the nanny state bureaucracy at NCAP.
Fixed your typo. :)

Hi,
I am looking to purchase a 2023 MG4 ev in the next month.
Based on looks and value for money they look worthwhile, however I have noticed on videos that the lane keeping assist and front collision assist can be very agressive. Is this still the case or has the software been updated?
Thanks John
Not gonna lie, LKA being dangerous and a pain to turn off during every single journey and the build quality issues made me sell the car after only 1 year.

It’s a good EV and one of the best handling cars out there, but software and assistance systems are garbage. Sometimes the main screen would take forever to boot up, random yellow warning triangles on the dash, poorly calibrated air conditioning, automatic lights that were erratic, I could go on….

I ended up with a E-golf which handles terribly by comparison and has a small range, but just works and has all the nice little things missing from the MG.

Hope this helps. Never turned it off. Delivered in AU late November, no issues with LKA other than the usual getting used to driving ANY car with LKA. 1500km complimentary vehicle inspection and software update completed and again no change. Getting my wife used to driving this car from a 2012 Camry with over 330k maintained to this full EV has been a breeze, not withstanding charging versus refuelling management and range anxiety. Still massaging that. Presently 6,500km in and no complaints keeping LKA and all functions on.
IMO from what I have read it is either model year, software/firmware updates and/or driving enviornment to identify. We have no experience in 6,500km in the last couple of months of driving in country unmarked roads where we use our car. Definately no issues or complaints.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back