MG4 lane keeping assist

For us, front collision assist works so very well, but to note, only when engaging cruise control, non existant when not engaged which we find pointless in congested traffic areas anyway. Makes sense to keep the driver engaged and responsible in whatever the driving environment. That said, I was hoping for full automation but it seems only I can idiotproof myself when I'm behind the wheel...that is when she let's me drive..... Absolutely no issues with our car, the software or the way the safety features work, we have turned nothing off.

Driving the MG4 on heavy snow, where everything in front of the car is totally white, this system still try to intervene. Yesterday like a couple of times a minute. Clearly the system can't see anything, but still think it does and do weird things. Feels like it is best to hold the steering wheel quite tight in case it does anything really crazy. In these conditions this system should shut off, as it is not anything else than dangerous when it is misleading the car left and right all over the road.

Not had a problem with LKA myself. Occasionally it will twitch the steering wheel and/or beep at me but nothing to warrant me switching it off. That's a mixture of country/town/motorway driving. If you're not using your indicator at the correct time then you may get a reminder!

The SR / Standard does not have ELK ... it has basic LKA. (I know the Trophy / Luxury has 2 or more distinct elements to lane keeping that can be configured ... in the SE it is all related to basic LKA: you can set Audible Alert [or not], Vibration Alert [or not], the LKA sensitivity [Low, Moderate, High], and obviously turn the whole LKA On or Off).

As a test I have tried setting LKA sensitivity to High (I normally set it Low) ... on my latest journey (mainly motorway but some smaller roads) I found it be to much less intrusive - my thinking being that perhaps High sensitivity means it'll see road markings more clearly. (I know this seems counter-intuitive). This is an experiment I'll continue with to see how it goes.

The SR / Standard does not have ELK ... it has basic LKA. (I know the Trophy / Luxury has 2 or more distinct elements to lane keeping that can be configured ... in the SE it is all related to basic LKA: you can set Audible Alert [or not], Vibration Alert [or not], the LKA sensitivity [Low, Moderate, High], and obviously turn the whole LKA On or Off).

As a test I have tried setting LKA sensitivity to High (I normally set it Low) ... on my latest journey (mainly motorway but some smaller roads) I found it be to much less intrusive - my thinking being that perhaps High sensitivity means it'll see road markings more clearly. (I know this seems counter-intuitive). This is an experiment I'll continue with to see how it goes.
I know. That is why I asked Mannakin what he is driving. Current complaints are not and probably never have been linked with the Standard. The versions with ELK cause the complaints (because elk is default).

You misunderstand ... I was finding LKA in my SE to be horrible, so I was always turning it off. So it's not all just Trophy/Luxury owners with specific ELK that are having concerns. (I presume ELK is enabled by default in the SE with no option to specifically turn off only that part of it).

I'm now trying with LKA on but sensitivity set to high as a test.

Have to say I love the car, but I have a very simple pre-flight checklist:
  • If daytime and weather is nice, switch off auto headlights
  • If not snowy/icy/nasty, switch to Sport (otherwise leave in Normal); Sport means the brake pedal responds “properly” rather than mushily
  • Switch down emergency front radar thingy to minimum distance
  • Switch off stupid speed-sign spotter (it spots speed limit signs okay, but is incapable of spotting “national speed limit” signs)
  • Switch off LKA (I’m glad some people like it – driving on rural roads, however, it’s a constant hazard; you never know when it’s going to leap into unexpected action)
Sounds like a long list, but it takes me just seconds to run through. At some point, I’m hoping most of these common settings will make it onto some kind of customisable “Home” screen, but I’m not holding my breath.

Hi,
I am looking to purchase a 2023 MG4 ev in the next month.
Based on looks and value for money they look worthwhile, however I have noticed on videos that the lane keeping assist and front collision assist can be very agressive. Is this still the case or has the software been updated?
Thanks John
The software for lane keep assist has been updated. So much better!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back