MG4 - LKA - NCAP ratings

PercyMinder

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I watched this podcast the other day.

The chap who does most of the car reviews for the associated channel raised interesting points about Euro NCAP - starts at 34.36. Another of the presenters on the podcast owns an MG4. Specific referral to the MG4 LKA improvement comes at 36.06.

The new NCAP requirement for LKA to default to on has certainly put me off buying any make of new car now. 😟

The new NCAP requirement for LKA to default to on has certainly put me off buying any make of new car now. 😟
There are easy ways round it depending on the brand.

Any VAG car you can easily code it to remember the last setting, so it remains off permanently until you change it again regardless of startups. All you need is an OBDEleven dongle and their pro software.

Other brands make it very easy to turn off with just the push of a button on the end of the indicator stalk.

There are easy ways round it depending on the brand.

Any VAG car you can easily code it to remember the last setting, so it remains off permanently until you change it again regardless of startups. All you need is an OBDEleven dongle and their pro software.

Other brands make it very easy to turn off with just the push of a button on the end of the indicator stalk.

Yes. We need either customised driver settings that it remembers, or at the very least a single button-press to disable it.

Some cars have this. More manufacturers are going to have to go that route.

LKA turn off is now available a little more easily with 1100R33 software on the SE. Swipe down for the pull-down menu, press the LDP icon, press confirm, swipe up to close the menu.

"Press confirm." Sod that for a game of soldiers. If the car is trying to run you into the ditch, you want ONE BUTTON to get the thing off.

It sounds as if it isn't really any advantage for day to day driving because I want the speed limit detection off too, and do both at once from the MG Pilot screen.

"Press confirm." Sod that for a game of soldiers. If the car is trying to run you into the ditch, you want ONE BUTTON to get the thing off.

It sounds as if it isn't really any advantage for day to day driving because I want the speed limit detection off too, and do both at once from the MG Pilot screen.
Isn't the Speed Limit Detection OFF by default? It certainly doesn't work in my Trophy (s/ware version R40)

On my car it defaults to on. Though maybe that doesn't happen in the new software version? Oddly, it doesn't default to on quite as readily as the LKA does - sometimes if I've been out of the car but not shut everything down, only LKA needs to be re-disabled. But on every new startup, both have defaulted to on.

Maybe that's another SE software bug. If the speed limit recognition isn't needed for the NCAP rating there's no reason it can't remember its last setting.

I wouldn't mind it if it didn't lie to me so often, and if it didn't flash when it thinks I'm going too fast. It can be handy to have an accurate display of the current speed limit, but only if it's accurate, and if it doesn't leap about and make a distracting nuisance of itself. The display in Android Auto behaves well.

My Trophy (R33) also defaults Speed Limit Signs to on.

Because I disable that and the AEB, I will still have to use the menus, especially as with the Trophy I use the left button to bring up the 360 camera, so I need to select Sport mode and Adaptive regen on every journey from the menus.

But for those that only care about LKA it may help a fraction.

At least MG officially know the problem. They're set up for Chinese roads apparently and MG uk have invited them to come over and drive one. Thing is, even off it still twitches the wheel. The turning isn't fluid, it's like it's fighting you back. The only way it's driveable for me is to blind it, or unfortunately have the car back. Motability certainly say it shouldn't do it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back