MG4 losing power

RewqNo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hey.

I have a MG4 SE. The car has been idle since saturday. When I started to drive today it gave 100% power up to about 50-60 kmph and then it dropped down to 56% power. Battery was around 76%.

After driving about 10 min it could give 100% at 120 kmph.

It is -5c outside. Does the battery need to get warm before giving 100% power all the way?

Hey.

I have a MG4 SE. The car has been idle since saturday. When I started to drive today it gave 100% power up to about 50-60 kmph and then it dropped down to 56% power. Battery was around 76%.

After driving about 10 min it could give 100% at 120 kmph.

It is -5c outside. Does the battery need to get warm before giving 100% power all the way?
A cold battery may limit power output, because if it is too cold a high power drain could damage it. The SR battery chemistry (LFP) is a little more sensitive to low temperatures. So what you suggest is possible, although hasn't been mentioned by many people - so it might not be this.

This is one of the reasons for battery heating (main one being faster charging) - you could switch this on before your journeys (at the cost of some range).

However, there has also been a fault with some SR cars in the past that isn't temperature related - it tends to show up not as a power limit but a speed limit on the car (won't exceed a specific speed, which changes on different journeys). If you are seeing this, your car needs some updates to fix and it is not likely temperature related - so approach your dealer for a fix.

Last edited:
You could have a read at this if you make a coffee and put your feet up.

It's possible yours is not the same issue. But if it is, then the spoiler alert for the thread is that in the end the fault seems to have been cured by a software update that became available last summer.

You could have a read at this if you make a coffee and put your feet up.

It's possible yours is not the same issue. But if it is, then the spoiler alert for the thread is that in the end the fault seems to have been cured by a software update that became available last summer.
But then you would have to read pages and pages of Bowfer whining and saying how much better a Born is….

No it isn't - and I'm sure it wasn't me ... the forum threw a wobbly. I actually quoted (or at least thought I had) the post where you mentioned someone having the wrong car in their profile. 🤷‍♂️

Just a quick update. This morning i tried battery heating from the app. Set it to 06:00, i started driving at 06:30. No problems. So it must be that the battery is to cold so give max power. It was -10 c. Just like you wrote.

All good. Thank you 👍
A cold battery may limit power output, because if it is too cold a high power drain could damage it. The SR battery chemistry (LFP) is a little more sensitive to low temperatures. So what you suggest is possible, although hasn't been mentioned by many people - so it might not be this.

This is one of the reasons for battery heating (main one being faster charging) - you could switch this on before your journeys (at the cost of some range).

However, there has also been a fault with some SR cars in the past that isn't temperature related - it tends to show up not as a power limit but a speed limit on the car (won't exceed a specific speed, which changes on different journeys). If you are seeing this, your car needs some updates to fix and it is not likely temperature related - so approach your dealer for a fix.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back