MG4 Loud bang when charger connected

Goldie007

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Just asking a question regarding charging. Yesterday I plugged into a BP pulse ccs charger and it displayed a waring to disconnect the cable as there was an issue with the connection to the car. So thought it was a charger issue and left it at that. This morning I took it to a charger I normally use a Lidl and it did the same but after taking it out and back in again it started to charge.
So... I decided to try a AC charge lead at the same Lidl charger this afternoon to see if it was something to do with the CCS. After plugging in both ends I started the charge on the app then I heard a loud bang from the car and the charger showed on screen it had stopped the charge due to something gone wrong.

What could be wrong with it now. Think this is a Friday car or is it just MG

Any ideas?

Wow. Loud bang doesn’t sound good! That needs to be checked out. If you were AC charging in could be inverter related.

Does not show any errors on either screen. Just waiting for the dealer to call back. Was dues to go in on Monday but they will have to look today or tomorrow

I think it's more than teething problems to be fair as Cocijo said you're not having much luck

Tried it on the CCS and it works fine. The charger I used for AC has gone out of action. Think I might have blown it up when it went bang.
Trying to find a AC charger to try it on

Tried it on the CCS and it works fine. The charger I used for AC has gone out of action. Think I might have blown it up when it went bang.
Trying to find a AC charger to try it on
You could try charging it at home with the granny charger if you haven't got a wall charger.

Just tried it ona pod points 7kw and it's tripped the charger and now that won't see the car. Looks like it's going back

Just tried it ona pod points 7kw and it's tripped the charger and now that won't see the car. Looks like it's going back
Goldie you've not had a lot of luck, you would think it would be an easy one for them to check they just need to do what you did

It honestly sound like a faulty inbuilt AC/DC charger or wiring/contact fault to the charger..DC works fine eliminating bms and battery...did they actually test it on an AC charger or does the dealership have DC charging capability and they used that to test? Did they test it with your cable?

I honestly 🤷‍♂️🤔 with some dealerships or technicians...but I have to balance that with most technicians probably just wanted to fix mechanical bits when they started in the trade so all this EV stuff might not be for them...but it is the customers who feel the brunt of any potential shortcomings unfortunately. Just my view being a mechanical engineer who moved to digital technologies then computing and some colleagues could not cope.

P.s inverter is dc to ac from batteries to motor...charger is input

To be honest I think they did not test anything. A comment they made was 'oh our charger is broken' but there was some one using it when I looked

Or the socket....or the wiring given DC doesn’t use L1 and N but AC does...or the ac charger hence diagnostics are a good idea but either way if it requires parts it could be a long wait 🚀🤔

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back