MG4 Managing Expectations

KMC

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
In November 2023 my wife took the plunge and ordered the Trophy LR, following my advice to order the one with “all the toys on it”.

I love cars and although I'm not “wealthy”, in 2003 I was the first in the UK according to BMW to order Dakar yellow on my convertible M3 individual. BMW said “I think Sir is making a very expensive mistake “ It took 7 months and Sir started quite a trend as it turned out 😎. Other new or under 5000 miles cars included: RS Focus/ Golf R32 DSG/ suburu sti pro drive/ Focus ST3 (Orange of course) / Range Rover vogue autobiography and so on. Had I been “Wealthy” I would definitely have tried an Audi R8 v10 & would love to drive a 911.

Anyway here I was “all grown up” with 22 years NCD, police advanced driving certificate (not ex policeman) and zero points on my licence, a motorcycle history too so a certified “petrol head” and at the time of my wife's MG4 purchase I was driving a Skoda Enyaq iv60 with nice spec including 21” alloys & leather. I wanted the Enyaq RS in snot green but refused to spend £50+ grand on an EV. The Enyaq was comfy & with my Omnie pro charger & octopus tariff it cost peanuts to run.

My wife's MG4 arrived and I quickly realised it was very well equipped, agile and comfortable, whereas my Enyaq at over 2 tonnes handled like a fridge freezer 😩. If you are still reading please know that every car no matter how thrilling will have compromises and niggles with it. Every car I’ve owned has been back for a snagging list or annoying something or other. In December I ditched the Enyaq and in need of some fun I ordered the X Power realising that although my Enyaq had done an Ikea trip and swallowed the weekly Aldi shop I NEVER once “went for a drive” in it, the way car lovers do in a car they enjoy.

Youtube and forums are littered with content picking fault with all cars and the majority of YouTube reviewers are poor drivers 🫢, whining about steering wheel button placement while their hands are in totally the wrong place to drive 🤪. EV owners notice every squeak in the car now the ICE isn't there to deafen all the noises; if you get in a lift alone the noises are unnerving 😱 yet in a crowded lift with a pushchair or two they’re not heard. Yes the X Power has “niggles”, all cars do! But it is FUN and I do go out simply to drive it; it has all the toys on it (when they work) and handling-wise it is capable beyond my limits and way beyond UK traffic law and safety. The car is capable well beyond the point my talent runs out!

I believe as we make the huge mental leap from ICE to EV we should manage our expectations and try to think of one car that didn’t frustrate us in some small way 😊. Focus on the positive, enjoy floating past petrol stations ⛽️ when it's freezing and raining 🥳. Sainsbury's are putting over 2500 rapid chargers in, drowning the UK total by Tesla and every other provider, and they're 75p/kWh too! The future is bright so enjoy your driving & enjoy your car as NOTHING is perfect. 🤩

Attachments

• IMG_6754.jpeg
    IMG_6754.jpeg
    605.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the sermon, best wishes…..a disciple 🤣🤣🤣
Here endeth the lesson.

Although somehow I think not!🤣🤣

Anyway, who am I to talk.

Some of my early posts are MASSIVE 🤣👍

Also @KMC, am I imagining it or do you have an LED strip in the bonnet gap?

Edit, just checked your messages and have answered my own question.
Looks Great.👍

In November 2023 my Wife took the plunge & ordered the Trophy LR. Following my advice to order the one with “all the toys on it”
I love cars & although Im not “wealthy” in 2003 I was the first in the UK according to BMW to order Dakar yellow on my convertible M3 individual. BMW said “I think Sir is making a very expensive mistake “ It took 7 months & Sir started quite a trend as it turned out 😎. Other New or under 5000 miles cars included: RS Focus/ Golf R32 DSG/ suburu sti pro drive/ Focus ST3 (Orange ofcourse) / Range rover vogue autobiography and so on. Had I been “Wealthy” I would definitely have tried an Audi R8 v10 & would love to drive a 911.
Anyway here I was “all grown up” with 22 years NCD, police advanced driving certificate (not ex policeman) & zero points on my license, a motorcycle history too so a certified “petrol head” and at the time of my Wifes MG4 purchase I was driving a Skoda Enyaq iv60 with nice spec including 21” alloys & leather. I wanted the Enyaq RS in snot green but refused to spend £50+ grand on an EV. The Enyaq was comfy & with my Omnie pro charger & octopus tariff it cost peanuts to run. My Wife's MG4 arrived & I quickly realised it was very well equipped, agile & comfortable. Whereas my Enyaq @ over 2 Tonnes handled like a fridge freezer 😩. IF you are still reading please know that every car no matter how thrilling will have compromises & niggles with it. Every car I’ve owned has been back for a snagging list or annoying something or other. In December I ditched the Enyaq & in need of some fun I ordered the X Power realising that although my enyaq had done an ikea trip & swallowed the weekly Aldi shop I NEVER once “went for a drive” in it, the way car lovers do in a car they enjoy. Youtube & forums are littered with content picking fault with all cars & the majority of youtube reviewers are poor drivers 🫢 wining about steering wheel button placement while their hands are in totally the wrong place to drive 🤪. EV owners notice every squeak in the car now the ICE isn't there to deafen all the noises, if you get in a lift alone the noises are unnerving 😱 yet in a crowded lift with a pushchair or 2 they’re not heard. Yes the X Power has “niggles” all cars do ! But it is FUN & I do go out simply to drive it, it has all the toys on it (when they work) & handling wise it is capable beyond my limits & way beyond UK traffic law & safety. The car is capable well beyond the point my talent runs out !
I believe as we make the huge mental leap from ICE to EV we should manage our expectations & try & think of 1 car that didn’t frustrate us in some small way 😊. Focus on the positive, enjoy floating past petrol stations ⛽️ when its freezing & raining 🥳 Sainsburys are putting over 2500 rapid chargers in ! Drowning the UK total by Tesla & every other provider & they're 75p/kWh too ! The future is bright so enjoy your driving & enjoy your car as NOTHING is perfect 🤩
Those rapid charges at Sainsbury's are expensive costing 78p/kWh.
However, I am glad you are so pleased with both of your MG4.
I know a guy close to my house who has a green XPower. Looks stunning and he tells me how much he loves driving it. He too is a petrol head and used to do a bit of rallying. And he said that the XPower is by far the best road car he has driven.

Thank you for the sermon, best wishes…..a disciple 🤣🤣🤣
Sorry lol clearly my ADHD meds hadnt quite kicked in 😇

It's nothing to the length of some of my posts. The OP needs to learn about paragraphs and leave out the smilies in the middle of sentences though! :cool:
Apologies, too many years with a p.a. I waffle & she types.

Those rapid charges at Sainsbury's are expensive costing 78p/kWh.
However, I am glad you are so pleased with both of your MG4.
I know a guy close to my house who has a green XPower. Looks stunning and he tells me how much he loves driving it. He too is a petrol head and used to do a bit of rallying. And he said that the XPower is by far the best road car he has driven.
Wow thats high praise!
Sainsburys are putting 6 rapid chargers on every site & dropping to 75p.
Saw a YouTube video on it last night (so it must be true) other supermarkets will follow 🐑 so price war apparently inevitable. Main thing is almost 2600 new places to charge appearing overnight!

It's just easier to read a lot of text when it's split up into manageable paragraphs. And smilies dotted at random throughout the text also interrupt the flow of reading.
Agreed.

And you have it in a brilliant colour!
Perrys were puzzled. They offered me any paint colour F.O.C including Hunter Green. When I said “white please” they looked amazed & said “are you sure?

I appreciate all the replies & the patience. After all the waffle I set off to visit my friend & had to pull over! The apple carplay dropped twice & refused to re connect? Serves me right. Finally here is a pic of my 2003 Dakar Yellow M3 for any car nuts on here 😇
IMG_6425.jpeg

I appreciate all the replies & the patience. After all the waffle I set off to visit my friend & had to pull over! The apple carplay dropped twice & refused to re connect? Serves me right. Finally here is a pic of my 2003 Dakar Yellow M3 for any car nuts on here 😇View attachment 23123
That's nice! even though its a BM. 😉🙂👍

White was my first choice but when going to order the dealer's allocation of White SE SR cars had already been reserved, so I chose Camden Grey. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back