Just like the village shop in league of gentlemen - it’s a local charger for local people. 🤪

Confession. I got my SR from 19% to 85% yesterday evening for £10.74, on the charger at the end of my road, in 55 minutes.

I mean, seriously, why wouldn't I? There was nobody else in sight. I should leave that and granny charge just in case someone might be passing through and want a charge? Locals, leave the village charger in case someone else comes along? Really?
The general decision for yourself is that getting close to saving on your installation costs, on current octopus intelligent over night figures (if my maths is right) you filled about 2/3 of your battery that would cost you £2.56 on intelligent a saving of £8.18 on that one charge.
The fact you qualify for the rural grant saves you a few quid, even if you only use the village charger once a week for that amount that's £425 a year saving, part the way through year two you break even and towards the end of the year your saving money.
Going on IO and your last village charge costs.

There have been people on this forum talking about doing it

I agree, stuff like that is silly. As is driving at 50 with the heater off to increase range. But scolding people that they should install a wall box to leave a seriously underused public charger for hypothetical drivers "passing through" is even sillier.

The general decision for yourself is that getting close to saving on your installation costs, on current octopus intelligent over night figures (if my maths is right) you filled about 2/3 of your battery that would cost you £2.56 on intelligent a saving of £8.18 on that one charge.
The fact you qualify for the rural grant saves you a few quid, even if you only use the village charger once a week for that amount that's £425 a year saving, part the way through year two you break even and towards the end of the year your saving money.
Going on IO and your last village charge costs.

Yes, I can see that. But I also have to consider that it would make my daytime electricity more expensive. I need to do some sums. But it's only been a month since I got the car. I haven't even sorted out the finances enough to think about an upgraded phone that will support Android Auto, never mind a wall box.

Bear in mind my position isn't "no", it's "not yet, let me think about this!"

Yes, I can see that. But I also have to consider that it would make my daytime electricity more expensive. I need to do some sums. But it's only been a month since I got the car. I haven't even sorted out the finances enough to think about an upgraded phone that will support Android Auto, never mind a wall box.

I agree, I think the potential energy price drop in July might help with dropping the day prices a bit further (at least that's what I hope will happen)

I done this recently before I decided to go about getting a home charger installed.

It's fairly simple to figure out with the correct sums:

•Annual Electricity Consumption (kWh) (without car charging)
X
0.33 (p)
=
£.... (Current yearly cost of home electric (without car charging))

Then

X
0.38 (p) (current IO day tariff)
=
£.... New yearly cost of home electric (without car charging)

Same applies to the cost of car charging:

•Expected annual kWh for car charging
X
0.33p / 0.30p
=
£ current car charging cost

Then

X
0.075p (IO current night tariff)
=
£ New car charging cost

The difference between the 2 totals (current and IO) is your saving per kWh.

I done this recently before I decided to go about getting a home charger installed.

It's fairly simple to figure out with the correct sums:

X
0.33 (p)
=
£.... (Current yearly cost of home electric (without car charging))

Then

X
0.38 (p) (current IO day tariff)
=
£.... New yearly cost of home electric (without car charging)

Same applies to the cost of car charging:

X
0.33p / 0.30p
=
£ current car charging cost

Then

X
0.075p (IO current night tariff)
=
£ New car charging cost

The difference between the 2 totals (current and IO) is your saving per kWh.
Let me throw a spanner into your calculations. If you have an EV it might be worth going on to an EV tariff.
I'm going on to one next month with the day rate of 47p/kWh and seven hours at night at 11p/Kwh

But that isn't better than Intelligent Octopus, provided you have an OHME or one of the other working (+soon to be) smart chargers.

38.9p day
7.5p night
6 hours 23.30-05.30

I can get 60%+ charge (Trophy) in 6 hours on a 7kw charger, I don't let it go below 20% anyway

I can see the argument that electrical safety might be an issue with relying on a granny charger rather than a wall box. That's my main concern in the longer term, together with whether I'd really save a great deal (factoring in the cost of the wall box as well as the increased price of daytime electricity). The inconvenience of having to plan to run the dishwasher and the washing machine and so on overnight is also a (small) consideration.

The availability of rapid charging from a little-used public charger only five minutes walk from my home and at a tariff marginally cheaper than my current domestic electricity price seems to me like a nice bonus. It gives me the opportunity to charge the car quickly if I need to (or just want to) instead of just letting the granny charger gradually get me there. It also allows me to avoid using the granny charger for very prolonged periods - if I charge from the public charger when the car is low, as I did yesterday evening, it means the granny charger is only running for four or five hours rather than 14 or 15 hours or even more. Electrical safety again.

If the public charger does become more frequently used in future, so that I can't necessarily rely on popping out to use it with about a 90% certainty of finding it idle, that might be another factor in the decision to get a wall box. On the other hand the council might decide to install a second one. (Or increase the price, who knows.) But at the moment the thing is idle most of the time. Despite at least two people I know of who don't have home charging of any sort (not even a granny charger) using it as their main (possibly only) source of power.

It's giving me time to get used to the car and how the whole thing works, and weigh up the pros and cons, as well as getting my finances into a position where the cost of the thing doesn't seem like such a big deal. (As well as the £3,000+ central heating bill in April it's also less than a year since I had to cough up £8,000 for new eyes (cataract surgery) or I wouldn't have been driving anywhere right now, let alone risking being caught speeding on the M74. It all adds up.)

When I first got the car, rather more suddenly than I had intended, having only got as far as concluding that my next car, when it came, would be electric, I just assumed I would get a wall box and a variable tariff and so on. Then I found out the price of wall boxes and came to a rather screeching halt. I'm glad I have options that mean I don't have to fund another four-figure bill quite so soon. Granny charger on a decent garage circuit, nearby rapid charger to help out, and neighbours who have offered me the use of their wall box if I'm stuck. I'll see how things work out over the summer.

The last thing I expected was to be told that I was selfish for using the local public charger for maybe an hour a week (it probably won't be that often) because someone passing through might want it.

Sorry, more words. Just skip them.

I can see the argument that electrical safety might be an issue with relying on a granny charger rather than a wall box. That's my main concern in the longer term, together with whether I'd really save a great deal (factoring in the cost of the wall box as well as the increased price of daytime electricity). The inconvenience of having to plan to run the dishwasher and the washing machine and so on overnight is also a (small) consideration.

The availability of rapid charging from a little-used public charger only five minutes walk from my home and at a tariff marginally cheaper than my current domestic electricity price seems to me like a nice bonus. It gives me the opportunity to charge the car quickly if I need to (or just want to) instead of just letting the granny charger gradually get me there. It also allows me to avoid using the granny charger for very prolonged periods - if I charge from the public charger when the car is low, as I did yesterday evening, it means the granny charger is only running for four or five hours rather than 14 or 15 hours or even more. Electrical safety again.

If the public charger does become more frequently used in future, so that I can't necessarily rely on popping out to use it with about a 90% certainty of finding it idle, that might be another factor in the decision to get a wall box. On the other hand the council might decide to install a second one. (Or increase the price, who knows.) But at the moment the thing is idle most of the time. Despite at least two people I know of who don't have home charging of any sort (not even a granny charger) using it as their main (possibly only) source of power.

It's giving me time to get used to the car and how the whole thing works, and weigh up the pros and cons, as well as getting my finances into a position where the cost of the thing doesn't seem like such a big deal. (As well as the £3,000+ central heating bill in April it's also less than a year since I had to cough up £8,000 for new eyes (cataract surgery) or I wouldn't have been driving anywhere right now, let alone risking being caught speeding on the M74. It all adds up.)

When I first got the car, rather more suddenly than I had intended, having only got as far as concluding that my next car, when it came, would be electric, I just assumed I would get a wall box and a variable tariff and so on. Then I found out the price of wall boxes and came to a rather screeching halt. I'm glad I have options that mean I don't have to fund another four-figure bill quite so soon. Granny charger on a decent garage circuit, nearby rapid charger to help out, and neighbours who have offered me the use of their wall box if I'm stuck. I'll see how things work out over the summer.

The last thing I expected was to be told that I was selfish for using the local public charger for maybe an hour a week (it probably won't be that often) because someone passing through might want it.

Sorry, more words. Just skip them.
The only other thing to consider is whether you are intending keeping the car long term, if you are then with regards to your battery health long term fast charger use can have an impact on it, obviously as you say you are only using it about once a week so shouldn't impact it to much.

I have deleted all my messages in this thread. Enough said.
Never deleted any of your messages when you were mean to me 😉

I have deleted all my messages in this thread. Enough said.
I’ll delete mine in relation to this issue. It would be great if Chequers could delete his too which is the one that started the issue. Then we can get back to supporting each other and respecting each other’s situation. You have been very helpful in responding to issues I have raised and have appreciated the comments you have made.

But that isn't better than Intelligent Octopus, provided you have an OHME or one of the other working (+soon to be) smart chargers.

38.9p day
7.5p night
6 hours 23.30-05.30

I can get 60%+ charge (Trophy) in 6 hours on a 7kw charger, I don't let it go below 20% anyway
I agree but my point was if you were working out the economics of having a home charger you also need to consider what other tariffs are available in your area.
Also pricing at the moment is a bit like gazing into a crystal ball.

I agree but my point was if you were working out the economics of having a home charger you also need to consider what other tariffs are available in your area.
Also pricing at the moment is a bit like gazing into a crystal ball.

This is true, I'm thinking we should see a considerable drop come June/July.

The wholesale prices are looking promising, anyway.

The only other thing to consider is whether you are intending keeping the car long term, if you are then with regards to your battery health long term fast charger use can have an impact on it, obviously as you say you are only using it about once a week so shouldn't impact it to much.

I'm certainly intending on keeping the car long-term! I have a history of keeping cars until they fall apart (or in the case of the last one, are nudged over the edge by an idiot who trusted his child's word for it that the road was clear). I think this may be my last car, and I'm hoping it keeps going until I'm too decrepit to be capable of driving one. Whenever that may be!

You do produce a neat cleft stick. Use the granny charger exclusively and set fire to your house. Or spare the granny charger by using the rapid charger sometimes, and bugger the battery.

On the other hand practically everybody must use rapid chargers from time to time, some probably a lot more often than I do, and isn't the SR battery supposed to be more robust in this respect than the LR?

All these conversations are actually really helpful in terms of making up my mind on the issue, and I genuinely thank everyone contributing.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back