MG4 & Ohme Home Pro Charging Rate?

Sorry in advance for kinda hijacking your thread but also hoping you'll have the answer for me hence posting here...

Got my MG4 today and had an Ohme Home Pro fitted a couple of weeks ago in anticipation, also just switched to the Intelligent Octopus tariff so should be all good to go, however...

I was playing around and wanting to check the charger etc but whatever I did in the Ohme app it wouldn't start charging, however if I left it in a 'max charge' setup and then used the iSMART app I could start the charge from the car end and it all worked as you'd expect, car was reporting 6.5kWh speeds.

But now I'm worried that even with the schedule on the Ohme app it'll get to 23:30 tonight, the Ohme will 'allow' a charge but the car just won't start it one!

Is there some setting in the car I'm missing, or the Ohme app, to force it to start the charge from the charger side?

Sorry in advance for kinda hijacking your thread but also hoping you'll have the answer for me hence posting here...

Got my MG4 today and had an Ohme Home Pro fitted a couple of weeks ago in anticipation, also just switched to the Intelligent Octopus tariff so should be all good to go, however...

I was playing around and wanting to check the charger etc but whatever I did in the Ohme app it wouldn't start charging, however if I left it in a 'max charge' setup and then used the iSMART app I could start the charge from the car end and it all worked as you'd expect, car was reporting 6.5kWh speeds.

But now I'm worried that even with the schedule on the Ohme app it'll get to 23:30 tonight, the Ohme will 'allow' a charge but the car just won't start it one!

Is there some setting in the car I'm missing, or the Ohme app, to force it to start the charge from the charger side?
No problems :) You've got to remember that because the MG and Ohme do not have API integration ... the OHP is then a dumb charger that adds a set % every night during the cheap hours of 2330 - 0530.

My setup:
  • Manage all scheduling via OHP, not the MG.
MG:
  • In the Ismart app, set the battery max charge %. I set it at 80% for pro-longed life. I increase it if I know I'm going on a long trip OR performing a monthly top-up. The MG will just stop the OHME from charging if the target % is reached.
OHP:
  • Set up your chargers settings to never charge more than 10p per kwh. Be careful though as a large charging demand can cause the charger to overun the 6hr window (2330 - 0530).
  • Setup a schedule for your car ... (Manage my EV)
  • Set the desired avg % you will need to charge per day. Mine is at 40%. (You can change this on a daily basis, don't worry about it being completely correct)
  • Set the time of depart at 5:30am. I don't use pre-conditioning as it's cheaper to use car battery for this function!
  • When you've saved that schedule; click the settings button in the top right and it'll open a preferences window. All mine are selected.
Good luck :)

Thanks for that, that mostly matches my setup but a few new things to look at I hadn't noticed :)

Overnight it did trigger the charge which was a nice relief to see this morning :p So I think my issue/what I saw yesterday is that if the OHP is in 'Max Charge' mode (so a true 'dumb charger') it won't initiate a charge, the car needs to. I think if I'd set it in max charge prior to connecting the car it would've auto-started...

However the OHP does trigger the charge when the schedule starts so all good :)

I had mine set (via the MG app) to 100% just cause I have a long trip today but like you say I'll be limiting it to 80% in the future.

Thanks again for that post :)

Set up your chargers settings to never charge more than 10p per kwh. Be careful though as a large charging demand can cause the charger to overun the 6hr window (2330 - 0530).

Octopus recommend that you switch off max charging rate. The reason for this is that on Octopus Intelligent the system can charge outside your cheap rate window if it wants to but still give you the cheap rate. I dont have the max rate set and the system only charges between 23:30 and 05:30 except if 1. more time needed than this window allows or 2. Octopus decided the car can charge outside the window on cheap rate (doesn't happen often but it can and has)

Octopus recommend that you switch off max charging rate. The reason for this is that on Octopus Intelligent the system can charge outside your cheap rate window if it wants to but still give you the cheap rate. I dont have the max rate set and the system only charges between 23:30 and 05:30 except if 1. more time needed than this window allows or 2. Octopus decided the car can charge outside the window on cheap rate (doesn't happen often but it can and has)

Is that based on some other setting in the Ohme app to determine when Octopus is 'allowing' the charge?

I have mg app set to 80% charge.

Set similar % on Ohme app (which adjusted target down when I clicked limit to 10p)

But each morning it has charged to over 80%. How do I stop it doing this please?

Thanks

(Sorry I couldn’t find the answer when searching forum)

Attachments

• 47F8FA85-D3C7-416B-9812-10AEE1D12C09.png
    47F8FA85-D3C7-416B-9812-10AEE1D12C09.png
    249.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 5D3A90FA-F83A-4A95-934B-840EE065A3E6.png
    5D3A90FA-F83A-4A95-934B-840EE065A3E6.png
    425.7 KB · Views: 61
  • ABAA2D1A-48FA-4EEA-A818-3411EFADD2A2.png
    ABAA2D1A-48FA-4EEA-A818-3411EFADD2A2.png
    815.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 6A3C03E3-2872-4B10-8A1E-26683119365A.png
    6A3C03E3-2872-4B10-8A1E-26683119365A.png
    659.2 KB · Views: 63

Set similar % on Ohme app (which adjusted target down when I clicked limit to 10p)

But each morning it has charged to over 80%. How do I stop it doing this please?

Thanks

I don't know which version you have but you don't seem able to limit the amount of charge on the SE SR version only on the SE LR and Trophy's as they have a different battery chemistry.

Thanks

To be honest, it looks like your app hasn’t synced properly on the screenshot you posted: make sure you can see the battery %.

If I physically go into the car and then into the charging settings … it somehow resets the % target to 100. So every time I open the charging settings in the car, I have to reset the app target to 80%

To be honest, it looks like your app hasn’t synced properly on the screenshot you posted: make sure you can see the battery %.

If I physically go into the car and then into the charging settings … it somehow resets the % target to 100. So every time I open the charging settings in the car, I have to reset the app target to 80%
Yeah when I disconnect charging cable and get in car it synced ok. Do you think if I ensure it is synced the the night before it will stop it charging at the right level?

Yeah when I disconnect charging cable and get in car it synced ok. Do you think if I ensure it is synced the the night before it will stop it charging at the right level?
Forgot to say it always says target 80% on mg app on mine

Attachments

• 87304580-B51C-48EA-AAF2-D53661EBFE91.png
    87304580-B51C-48EA-AAF2-D53661EBFE91.png
    526.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 67

Forgot to say it always says target 80% on mg app on mine
I think there is a bug; as the app thinks the target is 80% but the car sets to 100%. As I said previously, this only happens when I go into the charging menu in the car … it will reset it back to 100%. So if you do go into the settings (in the car), load your phone app and reset it back to 80%.

Make sure that the app has refreshed correctly before setting it to 80% otherwise it won’t sync.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back