MG4 "Oil" Leak Poll Part 2

If you have checked and confirmed the MG4 "oil" leak, which motor variant is your car?

• SR

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • LR

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

siteguru

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
This poll is specifically for people who own an MG4 and have encountered the oil leak. The purpose is to try to understand whether the issue is motor-variant-specific. (Hence why the choices are SR and LR ... the Trophy comes under LR).

Please only vote if you have checked and actually suffer the "oil" leak issue. ("Oil" because at least one user report suggests it wasn't actually oil - but that's to be confirmed).

Good poll!

Is the motor actually different? I know it has different specifications, but is it physically a different design? I've not found anything to suggest it is.

I don't know - but it can't but help to try to capture more data.

I realise that the results also need to be qualified vs the number of SR and LR models sold - not sure how to capture that.

Good poll!

Is the motor actually different? I know it has different specifications, but is it physically a different design? I've not found anything to suggest it is.
The problem could have been related to a production line run, and the different motors could have been batched run produced on production line capturing this info could help narrow down.

The problem could have been related to a production line run, and the different motors could have been batched run produced on production line capturing this info could help narrow down.
I agree, that's why I think it's a good poll. I just suspect that they are the same.

I agree, that's why I think it's a good poll. I just suspect that they are the same.
I suspect they could be different, as the SE is 125kW (168hp), whereas the LR is 150kW (201hp). It could just be electrical and software differences, but I wonder if the extra power of the LR would need a mechanically different, i.e more robust, design to that of the SE?

I suspect they could be different, as the SE is 125kW (168hp), whereas the LR is 150kW (201hp). It could just be electrical and software differences, but I wonder if the extra power of the LR would need a mechanical different design to that of the SE?
That's the premise behind why I created this poll.

Low numbers of responses so far, 2:1 in favour of the LR. But that could well also be the ratio of sales (in favour of the LR).

So the early signs are that this is not motor-variant-specific.

Current status:

SR 40% (4 votes)
LR 60% (6 votes)

So only 10 members here with an MG4 have experienced the oil leak?

Current status:

SR 40% (4 votes)
LR 60% (6 votes)

So only 10 members here with an MG4 have experienced the oil leak?
Do we know how many on here actually have the car? Can Admin find out via profiles?

As a point of interest, the poll has already achieved its purpose of confirming both long and standard range cars are affected.
True, just would like to know what percentage of cars have the leaking breather problem. If it is that of course? Cant imagine other cars with no signs of oil leak have a different breather. If the cases are over 70% then can assume a component fault. If less than 10% cant see it being the breather.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back