MG4 only : we're using more than 200kWh / week

Tig170

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
.... for home & MG4!

...... we're not paying 34p / KWH at this current time, but it does cause some worries going forward (genuinely we are currently double bagging the house with superquilt etc. / A+rated windows, nevertheless even at 34p/KW - its still cheaper than a ICE car & home heating oil combined)- I'm glad to see that Introducing Cosy Octopus, has just been launched!

1671637440133.png

Last edited:
How many miles are you doing? A LR model has 61.7kWh usable battery, so 80% charge 3 times a week would use almost 150kWh. (Actually a little more, once charging losses are accounted for).

Since 28-Nov I've used 232kWh to store 199kWh in my SR car. (Today's charge will increase those figures). I'm on the 34p cap rate.

I use around 230 kWh a week (in winter). About 65% of which is car charging. I just looked at the ‘cosy octopus’ rates and for me -
Day rate:

33.73p / kWh​

Cosy rate (04:00 - 07:00 & 13:00 - 16:00):

20.23p / kWh​

Peak rate (16:00 - 19:00):

53.96p / kWh​

Standing charge:

47.5p / day​

I think you’ll need to be very sure of how much and when to sign up, but I have not looked in any detail.

... about a 1000 miles / month, but in recent weeks (less than zero) are only getting 2 miles / KWH (i.e according to my simple calcs is 115KW / month, and I guess the rest is on the house?), I'm one of the lucky ones who are getting the electricity way under cost??

Octopus can show you daily, hourly, monthly and annual usage for a detailed usage analysis

Octopus can show you daily, hourly, monthly and annual usage for a detailed usage analysis
.... if only, I have EDF - very long story for another day (have to use a 3rd party app to read my brand new smart meter (SMETS II), no HID here/ online connection here!)...... but at least I'm fixed (00:00 - 05:00)at 4.5p / off peak for another 18months - which gives me time to get in solar during the day / insulate the house! et al.?

I’ve no details of what an average house without a EV consumes but I would guess at say 75kwh/week?
Roughly double that if you run an EV. All depends on so many factors.
Also living in a big old house in Shakespeare country doesn’t help! 🤪

... of course it doesn't but am still picking my self up (from the floor) in that running a simple house & car each week is 200KWH / week (ok this is all in one basket with electricity, but how much carbon (i.e. negatives etc.....) is this each week? )

Apparently (according to an email from EDF on 15-Nov) my house used 298 kWh of electricity in the previous month - and this was before I got the MG4 (so no EV charging at all). 🤷‍♂️

In other words - you're a lightweight. ;)

..... okay this is a real eye opener! - but just running the basic domestic setting(i.e. house & car), lets neglect holidays et al. !!!! - is that we are burning over 1KW/hr each day (i.e. a simple heater on the low(ish) setting 24x7?) - am i way off the mark here?

Bit disappointed that the on board charger is wasting 15% 😵‍💫 Maybe that's just par for the course with AC to DC conversion, doesn't get factored in to many peoples calcs though I bet.

Bit disappointed that the on board charger is wasting 15% 😵‍💫 Maybe that's just par for the course with AC to DC conversion, doesn't get factored in to many peoples calcs though I bet.
my records are showing that the AC-DC conversion (or visa versa, as Im using the MG4 to power the home- which I have not noted todate!), are around 10% or less, the main thing here is external temp. (its looking like 1-2KWH loss per Deg. Cel. /hour?), maybe I need to be corrcted here?

Guess when I took delivery !
Fortunately no-one British Gas's ev driver tariff so get 12p/kwh over night .

Attachments

• 20221221_191012.jpg
    20221221_191012.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 61
.., its my beleif is that what ever we are paying with the council tax, then the energy bills should be silimar? (its been similar like that for ourselves over the past 25 years) - but in recent months it may have changed? - I dont know?, all i can say is that we are using over 200kw / month - which in our eyes !!! - does seem to be quite a bit (to say the least!)

.., its my beleif is that what ever we are paying with the council tax, then the energy bills should be silimar? (its been similar like that for ourselves over the past 25 years) - but in recent months it may have changed? - I dont know?, all i can say is that we are using over 200kw / month - which in our eyes !!! - does seem to be quite a bit (to say the least!)
200 a month or 200 a week?

We use between 240 and 280 kWh per month in electric. We have free charging at work so it is very rare that we charge the car at home.

This is for 2 of us plus a three year old so the tumble drier is running often.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom