MG4 or Megane E Tech

I've just test driven a Megane today and I hope it's not a competitor. The Megane was way too small in the back. It destroys things like the Corsa/208 but it's not even close to the cupra born or niro in terms of passenger space.

This is what I posted on speakev:

I've just test driven a Megane today and I hope it's not a competitor. The Megane was way too small in the back. It destroys things like the Corsa/208 but it's not even close to the cupra born or niro in terms of passenger space.

This is what I posted on speakev:

At first glance they are very similar, size wise, battery wize and power wize. Very different though on the other side, FWD RWD, prise wize and appearance I would say. I am testing MG4 on 1st October.

I think for the extra money for less range I can't see why anyone would really.
Could not agree more, this is why I have an order placed for MG4, not for the Renault, but I do like the appearance of Ariya's little sister. In fact this is the first ever Renault I am interested in, this is why I am curious.

At first glance they are very similar, size wise, battery wize and power wize. Very different though on the other side, FWD RWD, prise wize and appearance I would say. I am testing MG4 on 1st October.
I'm hoping the mg4 is more id3/born in that it's interior space over styling rather than the reverse

I have a deposit on both, am veering toward the Renault but haven't seen the mg4 with my own eyes yet, so should know my mind better on Saturday.

It's the Google control instant response screen, great looking car and alloys (mg4 looks very under wheeled in photos).

If I could get a born built for this year I'd build a specced out v3 eboost. But factory delays and near 45k tricked out with options I can't justify it.

I have a deposit on both, am veering toward the Renault but haven't seen the mg4 with my own eyes yet, so should know my mind better on Saturday.

It's the Google control instant response screen, great looking car and alloys (mg4 looks very under wheeled in photos).

If I could get a born built for this year I'd build a specced out v3 eboost. But factory delays and near 45k tricked out with options I can't justify it.
Yes one of the key point for me is Google based infotainment that scores high for E tech. I completely get it. However I used to own MG5 and quite liked the native satnav. Personally I can't justify 40k for top spec Renault compared to 32k for MG4 trophy in dynamic red and VTL. Just been wondering whether people see MG4 as competitor to Megan E Tech.

Doesn't the Megane get a smaller touch screen here in the UK?

Renault have down specified the model in the UK.
I am not sure whether the 7 inch gets Google, I am currently driving Zoe from ONTO and it has Google based satnav so I do not know. One more thing, does anyone know whether MG4 native satnav is an active one, like geta traffic updates and so on.

I am not sure whether the 7 inch gets Google, I am currently driving Zoe from ONTO and it has Google based satnav so I do not know. One more thing, does anyone know whether MG4 native satnav is an active one, like geta traffic updates and so on.
The one I drove today had the smaller screen and Google. I completely get that it is a massive thing, it was really that good. It's just a shame I'm too big to fit.

Even though the centre screen is smaller than the euro version the drivers display is where you would want the maps anyway so it's not a big deal

The Renault is native AAOS like the Polestar, so should be excellent. The 10" secondary screen would be fine apart from people knowing that Johnny Foreigner gets a 12" one - apparently once they reach a certain size anything bigger isn't helpful but it's more what you do with it (according to the Wife at least 🙄).
Otherwise it's a triumph of flair over practicality, and in a different price bracket to the MG (particularly if you look at monthly costs where the base model is about 20% more than a Trophy). Perhaps we should compare a Taycan Cross Turismo with an MG5 next?

The Renault is native AAOS like the Polestar, so should be excellent. The 10" secondary screen would be fine apart from people knowing that Johnny Foreigner gets a 12" one - apparently once they reach a certain size anything bigger isn't helpful but it's more what you do with it (according to the Wife at least 🙄).
Otherwise it's a triumph of flair over practicality, and in a different price bracket to the MG (particularly if you look at monthly costs where the base model is about 20% more than a Trophy). Perhaps we should compare a Taycan Cross Turismo with an MG5 next?
I do not like the look of Taycan Cross Turismo and it is way more inefficient car than MG5. I will pass 😜

I can't understand why all OEMs don't switch to Googles native software?

The amount of money manufacturers are spending on their own systems is eye watering!

back on topic

It'll be interesting to see which way the pricing goes once the MG4 hits the ground, will SAIC put the price up or will Renault bring theirs down?

I can't understand why all OEMs don't switch to Googles native software?

The amount of money manufacturers are spending on their own systems is eye watering!

back on topic

It'll be interesting to see which way the pricing goes once the MG4 hits the ground, will SAIC put the price up or will Renault bring theirs down?
This is interesting because Zoe has been around what nearly 10 years now and it is priced right on par with MG4. My personal opinion is that Renault will not price the Megane E Tech down because will compete with ZOE too. I do not know, just thinking out loud.

The Megan-E-Tech looks great but I was so disappointed with the at the dealer preview, seemed like a car from the class below size wise. They've made the boot big and compromised on the cabin space, MG 4 seems to be the other way round (I'll know when a dealer can be bothered to book me a test drive).

I've just sold my ZS EV and booked a Zoe with ONTO to tide me over until my MG4 is available. How have you found ONTO to deal with? Is it pretty straight forward? And do they deliver the car on a low-loader with a full battery?

I've just sold my ZS EV and booked a Zoe with ONTO to tide me over until my MG4 is available. How have you found ONTO to deal with? Is it pretty straight forward? And do they deliver the car on a low-loader with a full battery?
It was pretty much straight forward, I just had a little bit of fiddling adding my wife as a second driver but other than that spot on. I got my ZOE delivered with 70 odd % charge, freshly washed. I am quite happy with ONTO.

I had my first look at the MG4 today and it was disappointing. I viewed a Trophy and the SE. Externally, apart from the front and Trophy rear lights, it was a bit boring. Internally it looked down market and kind of matched its low'ish price. Could I enjoy the dash layout etc everyday, I would prefer not to. I used to have a Kona Electric so know how nice EVs are to drive but....
I think the Megane E does a better job around, which it should of course at the price. I'll be keeping my '21 Tucson PHEV longer since I can't imagine losing its good feeling when ever I sit in it and in 2500 miles it's not emptied the tank of petrol I had when I bought it so I have the EV drive benefits.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back