MG4 power %?

exzoe

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi All,

The MG4 reports the motor power being used in % and I think this is actually motor torque since it reaches 100% almost immediately at low speed which would imply massively more torque than the motor is rated for.
All thoughts?

Thanks

Simon

EVs' motors are torque-limited (i.e. constant-torque) at low-speeds, and power-limited (constant-power) at high speeds.

There is also the motor temperature factor - the quoted maximum power is, I believe, a peak power figure. As to how long you can maintain that - it doesn't seem to be well defined...

As to how long you can maintain that - it doesn't seem to be well defined...
From a lap of the Nurburgring in the XPower the power output was limited after a lap and a half - which isn't set in stone because it could be the battery getting too warm.

Best bet would be for someone to do another couple of laps with an OBD reader installed to monitor temps.

Last edited:
I don't think it has more torque than quoted. You can really feel the difference off the line between the old 64kw 204hp/395nm kona ev and the 204hp/250nm MG4.

The kona is also capable to do 6.5-6.9 0-62 mph (and it's FWD)

Maybe it's because of torque, and maybe it's because the traction control that doesn’t allow any slip and restrict the first movement.

I don't think it has more torque then quoted. You can really feel the difference off the line between the old 64kw 204hp/395nm kona ev and the 204hp/250nm MG4.

The kona is also capable to do 6.5-6.9 0-62 mph (and it's FWD)

Maybe it's because of torque, and maybe it's because the traction control that doesn’t allow any slip and restrict the first movement.
RWD cars are quicker off the line any way due to the weight transfer, that’s nothing to do with torque - really, more the physics of how cars are driven.

When you accelerate in a FWD car the weight transfer lifts the front wheels which reduces traction.

Last edited:
RWD cars are quicker off the line any way due to the weight transfer, that’s nothing to do with torque - really, more the physics of how cars are driven.

When you accelerate in a FWD car the weight transfer lifts the front wheels which reduces traction.
And still the FWD kona is quicker. I think MG should increase a little the torque and allow the car to slip a bit.

When traction control is off the mg4 slips?

And still the FWD kona is quicker. I think MG should increase a little the torque and allow the car to slip a bit.

When traction control is off the mg4 slips?
Why? Just buy the XPower if you care about 0-60.

On Autotrader here a new Kona and an XPower are the same price. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I thought some of the early video reviews showed the Trophy getting close to 7 seconds dead for the 0-60, I know it was faster than the official figure anyway.
They did ... but are the official figures 0-60 or 0-62 (100 kph)?

The Kona EV does 0 to 60 in 7.6 seconds. The MG4 SE takes 7.5 and the LR takes 7.7
Maybe official numbers, but in reality the kina ev can do 6.5. (Almost 40 kg/m on 204hp)

Why? Just buy the XPower if you care about 0-60.

On Autotrader here a new Kona and an XPower are the same price. 🤷‍♂️
You right but i already ordered the Trophy lr. I just think that the heavy 64kw could have more torque. 310nm+ for 204hp EV is normal.

Last edited:
7.1. Still "slower" then FWD heavier kona EV 64kw
The acceleration figures are just a part of the comparison. The MG4 is one of the best drivers cars, its 50/50 weight distribution, design and rear wheel drive means that its a hoot to drive, unlike the Kona, which is a bit.....meh

Maximum torque is 250 Nm for the 51 & 64 kWh battery versions and 350Nm for the 77kWh version but as with all EVs this is delivered from 0 rpm & how it is put on to the ground depends upon the drive mode selected.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back