MG4 Powering down if you wish to remain seated in the car.

We had someone here who wanted to camp in the car, and the DRLs staying on was a bit of a deal-breaker. I suppose one could cover them with something (the point being that the car should not attract attention by appearing to have its lights on) but there should be some way to turn them off when the car isn't moving.

My dealer showed me the power-down button and I think he told me I should do this before getting out of the car every time, but I don't. I just get out and press the door button. Never looked to see whether the power-down shut off the DRLs. I never really understood that "Function is available after vehicle is started" message.

So it is in effect a camping mode?

I have powered down my Trophy that way and just sat in the car listening to the radio. Unfortunately after about 10mins the Infotainment system shuts down and I had to power up again to continue to listen. Did not look for a change in the DRLs.

The PDF manual says quite explicitly that you should power down before DC charging.

But, screw that. It works without powering down, so I'm not doing that.
Never done it, not had an issue. It wouldn't be practical to sell a car that relied on people reading the manual.

There’s one problem with this and that is after you have switch off as shown above and your sat there reading or watching a video playing music or radio if after a few minutes you decide to shift you position and move on the seat the car might/will switch on again especially if you lift you weight off the seat and then you need to do it all over again same every time you move it is a pain in the butt.
Please can we have an on off button back this seat switch is useless IMHO.
Les
A nice way to shutdown the car would have been to hit the park button three times in quick succession. Saves you going through the menu etc. I hope MG will get the idea and provide the functionality in the next software upgrade.

A nice way to shutdown the car would have been to hit the park button three times in quick succession. Saves you going through the menu etc. I hope MG will get the idea and provide the functionality in the next software upgrade.
Hi Carmelo. That’s an excellent suggestion yes something along these lines could work at the moment even after powering down in the screen when you move it can power up again it a pain in the ar— if you can pardon the pun, I see you are coming to us from Malta been there a couple of times in the past on holiday so is there Many MG EVs in that part of the world.?
Les

Not sure what the problem was with this solution and why using your rear end was seen as progress

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 16.50.53.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 16.50.53.png
    447.5 KB · Views: 36
Sensor was already there in respect of detecting the driver in the seat per seatbelt indication, so they've saved cost of additional Start/Stop switch by utilising an existing sensor?

Lost count how many times at first the wiper stalk switch as been left in the on position you open the door to get in and as soon as any pressure is put on the seat the wipers have wiped all the rain water off the screen and you and the door trim get wet stupid idea for me. She has now learned I think.
Les

Hi Carmelo. That’s an excellent suggestion yes something along these lines could work at the moment even after powering down in the screen when you move it can power up again it a pain in the ar— if you can pardon the pun, I see you are coming to us from Malta been there a couple of times in the past on holiday so is there Many MG EVs in that part of the world.?
Les
Hi Les,
I see some MG4s running around the island. I've had mine for around 6 months now. Although electric car sales in Malta are on the increase, it is still a low overall percentage to ICE cars.

Hi Les,
I see some MG4s running around the island. I've had mine for around 6 months now. Although electric car sales in Malta are on the increase, it is still a low overall percentage to ICE cars.
Thank you for that information so a further question if you don’t mind: what’s the charging infrastructure like there and what’s the cost of electricity on public chargers and at home? Just out of interest to compare how it is compared to the uk.
Thanks
Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that information so a futher question if you don’t mind what’s the charging infrastructure like there and what’s the cost of electricity on public chargers and at home just out of interest to compare how it is compared to the uk.
Thanks
Les
I charge at home. With my installation, charging costs €0.13/kWh. The public infrastructure is growing and currently charging cost about €0.19/kWh

What are the current rates in the UK?

Hi again and thank you, interesting to see only a small difference €0.06 in your figures for home and public power excellent.

Here in the UK it can be much bigger lots of EV owners have an (TOU) time of yes tariff, which can be as low as 7.5 pence per kWh for around 4-7 hours over night but the rest of the day is around 27-33 pence pkWh and the public charging can be anywhere between 35p-85p with many now at around 79p so much higher here with a bigger difference in it too, so thank you again for your postings and information also.
Les

On some EV’s the DRL’s remain off until D or R is selected.

If I’m spending time in the car, I tend to sit in the passenger seat (for precisely the reasons explained above!). I’ve found that using Apple CarPlay keeps the entertainment system running for quite a while, but it does still tend to switch off unexpectedly.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back