MG4 Range

I've just come back from Kames (near Tighnabruaich) today, including a little sightseeing. 125.3 miles and returned with 36% SoC. (Was charged to 100% overnight using the granny lead, as the hotel had an outside socket they let me use). By calculation that's 3.85 mpkWh ... the car was showing 3.9 mpkWh for the Since last charge metric.

I'm confused about the mileage reporting. I noticed an under-reporting when I first got the car, for sure. There is a particular stretch of road that was always 8 miles dead in my Golf, and I saw something like 7.3 miles when I did it in the MG4. But then more recently I was a little bit past the 8-mile spot and looked down and saw 8.3 miles. Odd.

So this week, coming back the same way, I made a point of looking. Same distance that was 7.3 miles earlier, was now 8.1 miles. The car hasn't been anywhere near the dealer so it isn't an update thing.
Wheelspin. 😉
burn out GIF

I've just come back from Kames (near Tighnabruaich) today, including a little sightseeing. 125.3 miles and returned with 36% SoC. (Was charged to 100% overnight using the granny lead, as the hotel had an outside socket they let me use). By calculation that's 3.85 mpkWh ... the car was showing 3.9 mpkWh for the Since last charge metric.
Those are great figures.

I have to be honest, my mpkWh has declined, not because the car is less efficient but because I have relaxed about range and I tend to just drive the car in a fun way more than eek out the miles.

But there are still long journeys when it matters.

Mine was showing 250 range but following a visit to the dealer it is now showing 200 range The display shows 4.1 miles per kw on an accumulated basis which suggests 250 range not 200. Hopefully it will revert to normal soon.

I've just recharged mine to 100% and the GoM (in the app) shows 209 miles. (I think this is for Normal mode with no AC).

The extreme reactions EV's tend to provoke in people still shocks me on occasion, some are bizarrely angry at the mere suggestion of the things :confused:
I never evangelize, and we still have a Toyota Yaris petrol in our household, yet a dear friend told me I was a mug for 'buying into this crap' :LOL:

I'm still slightly surprised that people will complain about the charging rate they achieve on chargers away from home eg only got 7kW on a 22kW as they don't understand that 7kW is the maximum their car will do, or only 130kW on a 350kW etc.

EV ownership is still relatively early in its lifespan and I think you still need to do a lot of research on things like charge rates, charger availability, range etc. It's still not mature enough for people who just want to get in, drive and not have to do any planning.

The information is out there if you are prepared to put the effort in.

The extreme reactions EV's tend to provoke in people still shocks me on occasion, some are bizarrely angry at the mere suggestion of the things :confused:
I never evangelize, and we still have a Toyota Yaris petrol in our household, yet a dear friend told me I was a mug for 'buying into this crap' :LOL:
People fear change - it wears holes in their pockets!

I'm still slightly surprised that people will complain about the charging rate they achieve on chargers away from home eg only got 7kW on a 22kW as they don't understand that 7kW is the maximum their car will do, or only 130kW on a 350kW etc.

EV ownership is still relatively early in its lifespan and I think you still need to do a lot of research on things like charge rates, charger availability, range etc. It's still not mature enough for people who just want to get in, drive and not have to do any planning.

The information is out there if you are prepared to put the effort in.
I'm quite technical, but I didn't find out many of the subtleties until I had the car, and from experience.

Common sense says, if it can get 150kW from a 150kW charger, it can get the full rate from a charger with any lower number. Common sense is wrong.

It doesn't help that the SE and Trophy have different AC capabilities -- I thought I could get 11kW from a 22kW charger. I couldn't.

I do think the industry has to iron out these technicalities so people don't need to become "enthusiasts" to get on with using the car effectively.

Last edited:
Earlier this week I was told that EVs are bad for the roads, terribly polluting, and the speaker would never have one because the batteries explode. Although I have to say that most people I've spoken to have been very positive about them.

My flute-playing partner remarked last week, I really should be taking a turn at the driving (to our lessons) but I just really really like riding in this car! And since I really really like driving it, I always volunteer.

EVs are still far too complicated and technical for people used to just filling up at the garage. I am not saying they couldn't learn it but many won't and don't want to try.

To be an EV owner, just for "filling up" you have to wrap your head around:
  • Battery/range option: which do I need?
  • Battery chemistry and relationship to charging (range vs health charges).
  • Chargers: grannies, home chargers, public AC chargers, tethered, untethered, rapid chargers.
  • Charger networks and apps: installing, configuring, finding chargers, contactless cards, different rates and memberships.
  • Route planning apps: stops, charger availability, are they working, busy periods, peak/off peak.
  • Charge schedules: cheap rates, EV tariffs, trade offs vs personal usage.
  • Cables: single phase, 3 phase, 16A, 32A.
  • Charge curves, preheating, battery balancing.
  • Type 2, CCS, Chademo connectors.

And that's just part of the story.

It is totally learnable and possible, but 'simple' it ain't.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel