MG4 Range

These are my recorded/calculated miles per kWh per the spreadsheet I've been keeping since I got the car. kWh Stored is calculated based on the %age added x 50.8kWh (usable capacity of the battery); kWh Charged is derived from my Wallbox app (or calculated based on 80% efficiency if I've been using the granny lead):

DateEnd %Start %kWh StoredkWh ChargedCharge EfficiencyMileage
That's impressive amount of data, and highlights the effect the colder months can have.
Also good to see charge efficiency factored in, DC conversion and transmission losses during charging don't seem to get mentioned a lot for whatever reason, possible because people believe they're something they can't do anything about, which isn't strictly true.

I was surprised to read somewhere the level of variability on those losses can be anywhere from 3-20% depending on manufacturers design and environment conditions
Apart from the physical components used for the conversion/transmission the speed is also relevant (and battery conditioning)
Hence why the granny lead you mention has higher losses vs the Wallbox, I'm not sure everyone considers this when using these.

From personal experience I've noticed when my home charger supplies 7.4kw, the MG4 is only showing as receiving 6.9kw, while with same unit our Kia Eniro receives 7.2kw (with same output of 7.4kw)
Of course these figures are taken from charger and car apps so can't be sure of accuracy, in fact they sound a bit optimistic, although I'm seeing almost identical numbers on work chargers so probably close enough.

Just another question on your charging efficiency numbers, I see while they're normally around the expected 87% area, sometimes they show in mid/high nineties, is that from same Wallbox or a DC chargepoint?
DateEnd %Start %kWh StoredkWh ChargedCharge EfficiencyMileageEfficiency (mpkWh)
28-Nov-22100%50%25.4030.0784.5%79.03.11
06-Dec-22100%30%35.5640.8187.1%104.02.92
09-Dec-22100%20%40.6446.5087.4%97.42.40
12-Dec-22100%24%38.6140.2595.9%92.02.38
14-Dec-22100%18%41.6643.7495.2%73.31.76
18-Dec-22100%65%17.7822.0080.8%31.91.79
21-Dec-22100%32%34.5436.3595.0%90.32.61
31-Dec-22100%50%25.4029.1987.0%67.8

Any charge not to 100% (other than the one to 99%, that was on a granny lead) was using a DC rapid charger - these are inherently more efficient as they bypass the on-board charger. In those cases the kWh Charged value was what the charger said was delivered. All others (except those at 80% efficiency) were on the same Wallbox Pulsar Plus I have at home.

I guess some of the variability depends on if/how much balance charging goes on.

My charging efficiency seems to be a constant 90% from my home charger when comparing the charger & mg app stats
Screenshot_2023-09-13-17-19-20-743_com.saicmotor.iov.europe.jpg
Screenshot_2023-09-13-17-19-09-210_com.simpsonpartners.simpsonpartners.jpg

Mine reports higher than that via the apps (6.4 iSmart, 6.9 Wallbox = ~93%), but when charging has finished and I enter the actual kWh delivered (vs calculated stored) then the efficiency tends to be lower. I'm assuming this is due to balance charging.

MG4 SE LR MY 23 - Be gentle,

Hi All, Picked the car at the weekend, only 3 months late :) so, I am very new to range and the car etc, only done 40 miles so far and I like the car. was charged when I picked up to 80%, the Range said 216 miles does that seem normal for a LR? reason I ask is the lease company have been a shambles to deal with, and I am not convinced I have actually received a long range, first car delivered wasn't mine, 2nd had issues and they rejected it, 3rd (this one) had incorrect reg plates on when it arrived, my faith in the lease company is pretty low... I cant see any way on the car myself or any of the paperwork to identify what I actually have. anyone know an easy way of finding out? Have searched about and cant seem to find anything. Thanks in advance

MG4 SE LR MY 23 - Be gentle,

Hi All, Picked the car at the weekend, only 3 months late :) so, I am very new to range and the car etc, only done 40 miles so far and I like the car. was charged when I picked up to 80%, the Range said 216 miles does that seem normal for a LR? reason I ask is the lease company have been a shambles to deal with, and I am not convinced I have actually received a long range, first car delivered wasn't mine, 2nd had issues and they rejected it, 3rd (this one) had incorrect reg plates on when it arrived, my faith in the lease company is pretty low... I cant see any way on the car myself or any of the paperwork to identify what I actually have. anyone know an easy way of finding out? Have searched about and cant seem to find anything. Thanks in advance
Sounds perfectly normal. The range display is not called a guessometer for nothing. On that basis it would show 270 miles at 100%. You can use your efficiency in miles/kWh to check the actual capacity of the battery. For example, if on a journey you get 3.7 miles/kWh, that's a range of about 228 miles as the battery has a useable capacity of 61.7 kWh (3.7 x 61.7). In other words, you would be getting around 23 miles for every 10% consumed. You can adjust that calculation based on the efficiency you are actually getting on any given journey. It's actually a far better guide of your real-world range than the guessometer, which always overestimates.

Sounds perfectly normal. The range display is not called a guessometer for nothing. On that basis it would show 270 miles at 100%. You can use your efficiency in miles/kWh to check the actual capacity of the battery. For example, if on a journey you get 3.7 miles/kWh, that's a range of about 228 miles as the battery has a useable capacity of 61.7 kWh (3.7 x 61.7). In other words, you would be getting around 23 miles for every 10% consumed. You can adjust that calculation based on the efficiency you are actually getting on any given journey. It's actually a far better guide of your real-world range than the guessometer, which always overestimates.
Thank you, puts my mind at ease.

My GoM is pretty accurate. Mind you I charge to 100% every other day and drive pretty much similar routes all the time.

Take it from me, an SR is never going to tell you you have 216 miles range at 80% charge, not in this version of reality. Even at 100% you'd have to have been driving pretty sedately to get 216 showing. Mine's currently showing 193 miles at 100% charge, following some cross-country driving. Par for the course.

No question that yours is the LR. Happy motoring!

I've had my Excite 51 (same as SE SR) for 2 weeks now and have been getting phenomenal efficiency. Conditions have been perfect with temps in mid 20s, no rain and light winds and I haven't done any long motorway trips yet, but I'm still a bit amazed at the 12.4 kWh/100km (5.0 miles/kwH) accumulated usage.
MG4 range.jpg

This indicates a range of over 400 km (250 miles) for my current driving which has included town driving and also a fair bit of 80-100km/h sections with lots of hills (up and down). Way above even the WLTP claim of 350 km. The one pedal driving seems to be helping the efficiency.

Looking forward to seeing what I get on a 200 km return motorway trip next week and probably ending up closer to, or below, the WLTP.

Take it from me, an SR is never going to tell you you have 216 miles range at 80% charge, not in this version of reality. Even at 100% you'd have to have been driving pretty sedately to get 216 showing. Mine's currently showing 193 miles at 100% charge, following some cross-country driving. Par for the course.

I’ve got 223 showing at 100% after mostly town and country driving, but I can get quite a bit more than that.

Mine get about 230 miles ish but I do drive like miss daisy, hypermiling charging about once every 3 weeks

I once saw 220 at 100%. But seeing 216 at 80%, that would be the day.

No question that average speed has a huge effect and I do almost no city driving, but I don't think there's any question that the OP's car is an LR.

I once saw 220 at 100%. But seeing 216 at 80%, that would be the day.

No question that average speed has a huge effect and I do almost no city driving, but I don't think there's any question that the OP's car is an LR.

Isn't it correct that the GOM range is a calculated figure from the average miles per kWh and the battery percentage. As far as I know it is reasonably accurate, as an instantaneous figure.

Isn't it correct that the GOM range is a calculated figure from the average miles per kWh and the battery percentage. As far as I know it is reasonably accurate, as an instantaneous figure.
I think it factors in your most recent driving efficiency rather than any average. It's not sophisticated enough to be accurate. It doesn't know the weather, it doesn't know whether you're pootling around locally or heading off on a 400-mile drive up the motorway, it doesn't know whether you're driving uphill or downhill. These are all significant factors in your range. It is possible for a car to do this. Tesla has nailed it. My last car, a Model 3, was always able to predict my actual range within a mile or two based on the destination in the satnav and prevailing conditions.

Yes. It's based on how you've been driving, either earlier in the journey in question, or the last time you took the car out. It has no idea how you're going to drive this time!

I belted up the M9/M74 one evening last month at a speed that was giving me only 2 to 2.5 miles/Kw. The car was making dubious remarks about turning on economy when I turned off the motorway and headed up the hill behind Moffat. According to the GOM the range was barely the mileage from there to my house.

I told the car to shut up and get on with it. I think it's about 20 miles from the Wells of Tweed to Broughton. The GOM range stayed at 29 to 30 miles all the way - downhill and seldom exceeding 50 mph. When I got home I had 9% left and based on my most recent driving the GOM was now estimating I had 18 miles remaining - so it had clocked that I had driven the last stage at better than 4 miles/Kw.

It pays to have an idea of what sort of miles/Kw you'll get with specific types of driving - height gain or loss, temperature, speed. That way you can interpret what the GOM says intelligently and know whether you're likely to get more - or, crucially, less - than the estimate in the real world.

It also pays, particularly with the SR battery, to balance frequently. Batteries that haven't been balanced seem to have a habit of suddenly revising their estimated range when they're nearly empty, and can go from a reported 10% to 2% rather suddenly. Which is awkward if you're on a motorway and it's a long way to the next exit.

Yes. It's based on how you've been driving, either earlier in the journey in question, or the last time you took the car out. It has no idea how you're going to drive this time!

I belted up the M9/M74 one evening last month at a speed that was giving me only 2 to 2.5 miles/Kw. The car was making dubious remarks about turning on economy when I turned off the motorway and headed up the hill behind Moffat. According to the GOM the range was barely the mileage from there to my house.

I told the car to shut up and get on with it. I think it's about 20 miles from the Wells of Tweed to Broughton. The GOM range stayed at 29 to 30 miles all the way - downhill and seldom exceeding 50 mph. When I got home I had 9% left and based on my most recent driving the GOM was now estimating I had 18 miles remaining - so it had clocked that I had driven the last stage at better than 4 miles/Kw.

It pays to have an idea of what sort of miles/Kw you'll get with specific types of driving - height gain or loss, temperature, speed. That way you can interpret what the GOM says intelligently and know whether you're likely to get more - or, crucially, less - than the estimate in the real world.

It also pays, particularly with the SR battery, to balance frequently. Batteries that haven't been balanced seem to have a habit of suddenly revising their estimated range when they're nearly empty, and can go from a reported 10% to 2% rather suddenly. Which is awkward if you're on a motorway and it's a long way to the next exit.
This reminds me of driving through the centre of France across the Massif Central in an EV. You might barely get 2.5 miles/kWh as you drive 150 miles up to the top of the A75 at more than 1,000 metres above sea level. You can easily get more than 5 miles/kWh on the next 150 miles down to the Mediterranean coast. All at the same motorway speeds in the same weather.

I've had my Excite 51 (same as SE SR) for 2 weeks now and have been getting phenomenal efficiency. Conditions have been perfect with temps in mid 20s, no rain and light winds and I haven't done any long motorway trips yet, but I'm still a bit amazed at the 12.4 kWh/100km (5.0 miles/kwH) accumulated usage.View attachment 20238
This indicates a range of over 400 km (250 miles) for my current driving which has included town driving and also a fair bit of 80-100km/h sections with lots of hills (up and down). Way above even the WLTP claim of 350 km. The one pedal driving seems to be helping the efficiency.

Looking forward to seeing what I get on a 200 km return motorway trip next week and probably ending up closer to, or below, the WLTP.
I've had my Excite 51 for just over a week now and I'm getting 410kms / full charge. So far I've done just shy of 900kms and the efficiency is very good. For my situation at least I feel MG have undersold the efficiency of the vehicle. At roughly 108kms/hr on the Gold Coast expressway I'm getting 14kwh/100km.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back