MG4, fault with rapid charging

ippy1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Well, got my car back from the dealer on Saturday after a 5 week repair!
Actually came back earlier than anticipated by them. As the car was collected fully charged was unable to verify the repair had worked at the time.
Roll on 5 days and….. NO, it’s just as before.. tried 3 different rapid chargers today and car won’t connect.
So another weekend in the Diesel and the MG sits on the drive.
Contacting Which, Ombudsman, or whoever can sort this mess out.
NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

Tried all the above.
Had a MG4 hire car from MG while they fixed it, and went to Ullapool Scotland.
Many charging stops there and back with no issues at all.
Only difference, mine is first gen model, hire car was the newer one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for mentioning that.
MG4 long range.
I initially put a deposit on a ZS that never came, so I switched to the MG4.
I’ll update my profile.

Tried all the above.
Had a Mg4 hire car from MG while they fixed it, and went to Ullapool Scotland.
Many charging stops their and back with no issues at all.
Only difference, mine is first gen model, hire car was the newer one.
My advice would be to take it back in and insist that a technician come with you and demonstrate the problem to them at a rapid charger. Then tell them you don’t want it back until they can demonstrate it working on it.

There is clearly a fault with the car that they have done something to fix and haven’t even bothered checking it worked. If they gave it you back at 100% it was almost certainly charged on AC.

Unfortunately there are some pretty crappy dealers out there for all makes of cars. I traded in my last car (Cupra Born) because I had such a bad after sale experience. Really I should have taken it somewhere else. I’ve had a few problems with my MG4 but the service centre I’m using is really helpful so far (Baylis MG Gloucester); Unlike Heritage Gloucester, that I like to take a swipe at whenever the opportunity to save people from them presents itself!

My advice would be to take it back in and insist that a technician come with you and demonstrate the problem to them at a rapid charger. Then tell them you don’t want it back until they can demonstrate it working on it.

There is clearly a fault with the car that they have done something to fix and haven’t even bothered checking it worked. If they gave it you back at 100% it was almost certainly charged on AC.

Unfortunately there are some pretty crappy dealers out there for all makes of cars. I traded in my last car (Cupra Born) because I had such a bad after sale experience. Really I should have taken it somewhere else. I’ve had a few problems with my MG4 but the service centre I’m using is really helpful so far (Baylis MG Gloucester); Unlike Heritage Gloucester, that I like to take a swipe at whenever the opportunity to save people from them presents itself!
Well it’s booked in again for next Wednesday, I’ll dig out whoever is in charge and insist what you mentioned.They clearly haven’t got a clue, it’s booked in for 9am and I was told to collect it at 5pm the same day! Last time they had it for 5 weeks. There’s a160kw rapid charger about a mile from the dealer.

Just an update regarding my rapid charging problem.
Took car in on April 17.
Got engineer to sit in and do diagnostic check. Threw up fault as I suspected,
He then cleared the fault and accompanied me to a rapid charger.
Failed to charge, timed out.
I decided to take the car home as there was nothing he could do until he got a response back from MG.
That was almost a month ago now……I rang the dealer, who said ” they will contact ME when they have something to report”, and MG customer care said they were working on a solution ?
I also pointed out since this problem started, I’m unable to regulate the home charger to stop at 80%, I have to manually stop the charge, so unless I’m awake at 2 -3 am it just charges to 100%.
Anyway, that’s where I’m at.
So I’ve had to make alternative (long range) transport arrangements twice again.
MG have no urgency whatsoever.

I also pointed out since this problem started, I’m unable to regulate the home charger to stop at 80%, I have to manually stop the charge, so unless I’m awake at 2 -3 am it just charges to 100%.
I know it doesn't solve your charging problem but to stop you having to wake up at 2 am have you tried setting a charging start and stop time either on your home charger or in the iSmart app?
You know your batteries capacity and you know roughly at what speed your home charger charges and you should be able to work out how long to charge to bring your car to 80% ish.

I know it doesn't solve your charging problem but to stop you having to wake up at 2 am have you tried setting a charging start and stop time either on your home charger or in the iSmart app?
You know your batteries capacity and you know roughly at what speed your home charger charges and you should be able to work out how long to charge to bring your car to 80% ish.
I have the iSMART set to 80%, but that has no effect. I have the Octopus go set to 80% with no effect. I get a message from Octopus saying “we were unable to control your device”.
I’ll try a schedule charge on the Zappi and see if that works.
Problem is as soon as I plug in, Octopus decides what’s going to happen and when, and I’m not sure other settings will override their schedule?

Maybe start sending them some letters quoting consumer rights. If they think they will be giving you a refund and taking the car back it might make the be more proactive. An electric car that is not able to charge as advertised or specified by the manufacturer is not fit for purpose or has been mis-sold.

Maybe start sending them some letters quoting consumer rights. If they think they will be giving you a refund and taking the car back it might make the be more proactive. An electric car that is not able to charge as advertised or specified by the manufacturer is not fit for purpose or has been mis-sold.

Well, as this problem was discovered in the 11th month of ownership, I suppose it’s worth trying at least.

It can be useful to go in hard with Consumer Rights to try and ass-kick the seller/MG. However it is important that you understand those rights to avoid making things worse.

7th or 11th month is irrelevant in respect of Consumer Rights ... after 6 months then any fault is not assumed to be inherent (present at the time of sale) and it is for the consumer to prove otherwise (if the seller so requires). Before 6 months then the fault is assumed to be inherent and it is for the seller to prove otherwise (if they wish to avoid providing a remedy).

In this situation (fault found at month 11) it seems like you're using the warranty ... maybe have a close read of the warranty document to see if it makes any reference to timescales? If you do go the Consumer Rights route, just be careful re. the burden of proof switch at 6 months. However, if the seller/MG have already acknowledged the fault then that helps greatly. :)

It can be useful to go in hard with Consumer Rights to try and ass-kick the seller/MG. However it is important that you understand those rights to avoid making things worse.

7th or 11th month is irrelevant in respect of Consumer Rights ... after 6 months then any fault is not assumed to be inherent (present at the time of sale) and it is for the consumer to prove otherwise (if the seller so requires). Before 6 months then the fault is assumed to be inherent and it is for the seller to prove otherwise (if they wish to avoid providing a remedy).

In this situation (fault found at month 11) it seems like you're using the warranty ... maybe have a close read of the warranty document to see if it makes any reference to timescales? If you do go the Consumer Rights route, just be careful re. the burden of proof switch at 6 months. However, if the seller/MG have already acknowledged the fault then that helps greatly. :)
I’ll contact MG customer services, whom I have a chain of emails with, telling them of my intents.
First issue is the dealer I purchased from isn’t aware of said issue to my knowledge, as I’ve been using a newer dealership geographically closer to me.
I guess I’ll have to book it in there first, to give them the opportunity of a repair.
If that fails, I’ll go down the consumer rights approach.

I've just realised that nobody in this thread has linked to this one.

If you haven't read it, @ippy1, I think you should.

I've just realised that nobody in this thread has linked to this one.

If you haven't read it, @ippy1, I think you should.
Thanks, just read the whole thread.
I’ve had this fault since October last year
( months11 after purchase)
Currently unable to dc charge temp sensor replaced, and when I collected the car made engineer accompany me to a DC Gridserve with his laptop.
Wouldn’t complete the handshake and failed to charge! At least he now knows my frustration. That was almost a month ago now.
MG customer service are fully aware and appreciate my patience?
I messaged them today asking for a replacement or refund as the car is not fit for use and cannot be used as described.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 525 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back