MG4 rear central jacking point?

MGw

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has used a trolley jack to raise the rear of the MG4 and if so, where was your jacking point? Some of you may have seen my woes on another thread whereby the engine undertray failed whilst driving and despite trying to tape it up, it dropped on the way back home and is absolutely torn to shreds with a lot of it snapped to pieces, no doubt littered on the side of the A21…

Until it gets seen next month I’ll be removing the remainder of the undertray so I can drive to and from work without fear. I can see the side jacking points per the manual, but was just wondering if anyone had safely raised both rear tyres simultaneously and if so, where was the jacking point you used? Thanks in advance 🙏

IMO, the car is too heavy to jack in just one point under the car safely.

I have a Sealy 3 ton trolley jack with a thick rubber pad.
I've jacked on the seam that runs along the bottom of the sill directly behind the little triangle indicator. (As you already know)

Not the answer you wanted, sorry.

I have also put her up on car ramps which would be a safer way to access your undertray.

20231006_115158.jpg

And before anyone starts moaning, those ramps are well up to the task.
Checked and inspected before every use.
They raised my previous Etron and Range Rover with ease.

Last edited:
Nice try @OriginalBigAl !

Trust me. That car was going nowhere!

Even if I could have accidentally left it in neutral with the handbrake off, it would have still not moved!

What do you think this is? The 00s?🤣

(Also read 90s 80s 70s etc)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help :)

I have 4 tonnes axle stands so I guess I can lift on one side and lower it onto the axle stand and then do the same on the other so it's not too much of problem. To be honest I'm new to the lifting game so the jack lift and stands are still in the box as they were bought solely for this job - you've made me question whether to just return it and buy ramps though I suppose having the lift does allow me to change brake pads, clean rims properly etc...

I've used all of them at some point for different tasks, so they will always be useful in the future if you like doing your own work. (As do I) 👍

Nice try @OriginalBigAl !

Trust me. That car was going nowhere!

Even if I could have accidentally left it in neutral with the handbrake off, it would have still not moved!

What do you think this is? The 00s?🤣

(Also read 90s 80s 70s etc)
You also have the cheaper 70s/80s Liverpool option ramps , half a dozen or so breeze blocks and a scaffold plank for leverage . Apparently you could remove all 4 wheels in a few minutes! ( add on another minute if you have/had locking wheel nuts.) Leaving it in gear or having the handbrake on makes no difference and also makes it the ideal height for placing a small bonfire underneath.

Thanks for your help :)

I have 4 tonnes axle stands so I guess I can lift on one side and lower it onto the axle stand and then do the same on the other so it's not too much of problem. To be honest I'm new to the lifting game so the jack lift and stands are still in the box as they were bought solely for this job - you've made me question whether to just return it and buy ramps though I suppose having the lift does allow me to change brake pads, clean rims properly etc...

Hey @MGw , I'm also after this info... I saw a YT vid where they jack up from under the rear springs, so I guess you could put in the stands at the actual jack points while the car is lifted from that point...

I want to take off all the wheels in one go to respray the calliper covers rather than piecemealing it a wheel at a time...

Would love to know what method you landed on...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back