MG4 Rejected but not dejected

beefyj

Established Member
Reaction score
Rejected but not dejected

Our LR SE was refunded today. Unfortunately the oil leak and under-tray issues were not something we could afford to take a chance on.

I fully understand that some people are prepared to wait, but our circumstances wouldn’t allow that.

The true worth of a car dealer is only experienced when there is a problem IMO, and as far as my dealer is concerned they’ve been brilliant. Nathaniel of Bridgend have been nothing other than exemplary in my dealings with them even down to the rejection process being relatively easy and stress free. They had the car recovered to them on a Sunday (actually saying they’ll accept a recovery 24/7/365 due to on-site security) and worked on it on the Monday. Unable to resolve the issues quickly enough though, due to MG UK / MG rather than themselves, we decided to reject.

I returned the v5 to them this morning and they processed my refund there and then, whilst offering drinks and fussing my dog with treats. Great team down there (and don’t forget they do 3 years free servicing….ask for Matt).

They give me faith that when, if, I decide to revisit the Mg4 once these early issues are fully resolved I wouldn’t even consider another dealer.

It’s a great concept of a car, with the long range and fantastic rapid charging speeds being just what we wanted.

For now we return to our ultra efficient Hyundai Ioniq 38kWh with its slow rapid charging, not the end of the world but when we’re sat at a charger for an hour and watch 3 MG4s pull in and leave in the same time……it might be a little frustrating.

Will stick around the forums to see how things develop. Wishing all those with an MG4 quick and satisfactory resolution of any faults and for those awaiting their car fingers crossed the factory issues are sorted before they make yours.

As I said, great concept, brilliant handling, ride and features……just need to iron out these early issues that some have experienced and give confidence to those awaiting delivery or considering ordering.

Sorry to read of your disappointment Beefy. Though you must do what is best for you.

I believe it is known my thoughts on the matter, so will not dive in to that again. 😁

suffice to say, good luck (and I hope all my positivity and nonchalance regarding the current issues, do not end up haunting me! 😁).

Cheers 🍺

Our LR SE was refunded today. Unfortunately the oil leak and under-tray issues were not something we could afford to take a chance on.

I fully understand that some people are prepared to wait, but our circumstances wouldn’t allow that.

The true worth of a car dealer is only experienced when there is a problem IMO, and as far as my dealer is concerned they’ve been brilliant. Nathaniel of Bridgend have been nothing other than exemplary in my dealings with them even down to the rejection process being relatively easy and stress free. They had the car recovered to them on a Sunday (actually saying they’ll accept a recovery 24/7/365 due to on-site security) and worked on it on the Monday. Unable to resolve the issues quickly enough though, due to MG UK / MG rather than themselves, we decided to reject.

I returned the v5 to them this morning and they processed my refund there and then, whilst offering drinks and fussing my dog with treats. Great team down there (and don’t forget they do 3 years free servicing….ask for Matt).

They give me faith that when, if, I decide to revisit the Mg4 once these early issues are fully resolved I wouldn’t even consider another dealer.

It’s a great concept of a car, with the long range and fantastic rapid charging speeds being just what we wanted.

For now we return to our ultra efficient Hyundai Ioniq 38kWh with its slow rapid charging, not the end of the world but when we’re sat at a charger for an hour and watch 3 MG4s pull in and leave in the same time……it might be a little frustrating.

Will stick around the forums to see how things develop. Wishing all those with an MG4 quick and satisfactory resolution of any faults and for those awaiting their car fingers crossed the factory issues are sorted before they make yours.

As I said, great concept, brilliant handling, ride and features……just need to iron out these early issues that some have experienced and give confidence to those awaiting delivery or considering ordering.
Happy to hear they were good as that’s where I’ve ordered mine from

Sorry to read you returned your car but staying faithfully to mg for future 🍻 they will get better and only today we find out the issue and how they going about it so it will get better but maybe not for your time frame keep reading and giving us your thoughts 👍👌

Sorry to read you returned your car but staying faithfully to mg for future 🍻 they will get better and only today we find out the issue and how they going about it so it will get better but maybe not for your time frame keep reading and giving us your thoughts 👍👌
Yep, it’s a great product that will dominate the market and that’s why getting these early issues sorted is so important.
Thanks for your kind words.
👍

Glad you had a good experience with your dealer, restores the faith somewhat. Totally understand your decision and when the time is right, hope you come back to the MG family.

Hope it won’t be long before you rejoin us in an MG4. I completely understand your reasons for rejecting your car, although it sounds like you had a great dealer to help you along the way.

I have also today rejected my MG4 due to the Oil Leak and other issues.
I have had the car for around 3.5 weeks and it had the leak from day 2 at 200 miles, made a total mess of my block paved driveway.
Spoke with the dealer who said they would investigate and raise with MG, said it was ok to drive for the moment.
Also had the lower door trims on the left hand side not fitted correctly to the point that the rear door trim isnt even fastened on at the rear, you can see the yellow button fastener in the gap between the door and the trim.
The dealer said they would deal with everything no problem at all and have been great up to press with communications etc.
But its just come to a head today.

Multiple other issues have also come to light in the past 3 weeks of ownership too.
Which has today made my decision to reject.
Rear Undertray bulging and warped (which we also know about)

Android Auto 'Pre Release equipment - not for resale' message (again no fix forthcoming)

Bluetooth is shonky at best - Half the time it doesnt connect to my phone so cant make calls and when it does connect, the incoming call rings for 1 ring then rejects the call.

The centre screen goes black now and again and you have to disconnect the phone and reconnect again via the cable to get it back on, or reset the screen by holding the Home Button.

Pre-heat sometimes doesnt work while still hooked up to the charger

Regular ACC error messages on starting the car up, so no ACC can be used until turned off and on again.

iSmart app refuses to connect now and again, meaning you cant pre-heat (when it does work)

The seats are also horrendous, I was sceptical about the seat quality before buying the car, due to bad stitching and bunching of the material on some cars.

But my issue is with seat comfort, after 900 miles I can now feel the stitching on the seat base and also on the backrest of the seat.

Overall I am totally peed off with the standard and quality of this BRAND NEW CAR.

I genuinely feel like a Beta Tester for MG with this vehicle.
Give us 30k and we'll give you a car and can you tell us what the faults are please....!

Not acceptable from any manufacturer

So as my initial 30 days is up next week, I am rejecting it for a full refund.
What I'll change to for the money, I have no idea especially with another EV.

But I cant have all this money tied up in what feels like some sort of experiment for a manufacturer.

I may take a look again next year once all the issues have been resolved.
But for now, I wish I'd kept my ZS EV

Thank you both of you for posting your detailed reasons, it helps other people make up their minds.

Sincerely hope you both have better luck with your next car.
Agree with you there @tsedge 👍

I do hope these members eventually get what they are looking for, and it is acceptable to them.

to play devils advocate, for me…..

My MG4 is utterly brilliant and I love driving it.

I have the oil leak, (well I had it, stopped looking now), just done 1700 miles and loved every moment of it.

Dealerships will call me when the this new fan-dangled breather thingy bob arrives, then off to get it fitted and pick up some free fancy driveway cleaner (even though so far the amount is minimal), but I know you should not leave any oil amount, no matter how small, on a new piece of Tarmac, (well any piece of Tarmac for that matter).

I am so happy with my car, I am going to massively miss it when I trade it in for the new Triumph (Christ I hope they call it that) 4WD utter nasty Bassa ! This is providing that they extend the range on this little beast as well.

Every morning getting in my MG4, is an utter pleasure.

Agree with you there @tsedge 👍

I do hope these members eventually get what they are looking for, and it is acceptable to them.

I have the oil leak, (well I had it, stopped looking now), just done 1700 miles and loved every moment of it.

Dealerships will call me when the this new fan-dangled breather thingy bob arrives, then off to get it fitted and pick up some free fancy driveway cleaner (even though so far the amount is minimal), but I know you should not leave any oil amount, no matter how small, on a new piece of Tarmac, (well any piece of Tarmac for that matter).

I am so happy with my car, I am going to massively miss it when I trade it in for the new Triumph (Christ I hope they call it that) 4WD utter nasty Bassa ! This is providing that they extend the range on this little beast as well.

Every morning getting in my MG4, is an utter pleasure.
I hope it comes with a larger battery for your sake as it strikes me with your driving you'll be lucky if you get 2kWh/mile 🤣

I hope it comes with a larger battery for your sake as it strikes me with your driving you'll be lucky if you get 2kWh/mile 🤣
🤣😂… you would be surprised Ian 😁

Normally claw back from 2.8 to 3.9 (ish) from a 90 mile combined trip ( have a play, well lots) but then get sensible ….. very sensible LOL

Last edited:
Can people let me know which dealerships they're returning their MG4's too? Asking for a friend.

Can people let me know which dealerships they're returning their MG4's too? Asking for a friend.
Mine will be going back to Charles Warner, Lincoln.
Though this bares no issue or argument with the dealer, they have been very good and I wouldnt hesitate to buy from them again.
The Car issue is with MG themselves and allowing the car to market when its clearly not ready or fit for purpose.

I'm glad that you are still in love with yours and hope that you remain that way. I too could cope with the oil "leak" and other "characterful" type faults if the bloody thing would AC charge. Each of the last ten attempts that actually started dropped out after less than 4kWh with a combined total of less than 20kWh so I don't have the option of anything other than driving like Miss Daisy was in the car due to continual range anxiety.

Last edited:
I'm glad that you are still in love with yours and hope that you remain that way. I too could cope with the oil "leak" and other "characterful" type faults if the bloody thing would AC charge. Each of the last ten attempts that actually started dropped out after less than 4kWh with a combined total of less than 20kWh so I don't have the option of anything other than driving like Miss Daisy was in the car due to continual range anxiety.
That would proper get on my nerves too 👍. So far as the car being un-doable.

I am finding my scheduled charge is only putting three hours in during the night and that is getting right my buttons!

Mind you, I am convinced this is my fault somehow, gonna check to make sure the time changed last week on the Zappi, I thought it would auto update, but maybe not.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back