MG4 Restricted speed - weird

I had something quite similar on Wednesday evening. I was actively trying to waste electricity as I wanted to get the car down below 10% to do the long charge that's recommended every 3 to 6 months. So on my way home I tried to accelerate up a fairly steep hill, although I was slightly hampered by there being traffic ahead of me. My main thought was, I think my Golf (GTi) would have pulled away better than that. It was fairly subtle, but I thought it was less than the car's usual performance. Like an idiot I didn't look at the % power readout. I was fairly low on battery, probably about the same as you, and the weather was cold. The battery level bar went amber about 10-11% charge, and about the same time the car asked if I wanted to go into power-saving mode (which I declined as I was only about three miles from home).

Anyway, today the car is fully charged and although I wasn't on the same bit of hill I didn't notice any reduction in the performance I would expect from the car. I think it was just a combination of low state of charge and cold weather.

I had something quite similar on Wednesday evening. I was actively trying to waste electricity as I wanted to get the car down below 10% to do the long charge that's recommended every 3 to 6 months. So on my way home I tried to accelerate up a fairly steep hill, although I was slightly hampered by there being traffic ahead of me. My main thought was, I think my Golf (GTi) would have pulled away better than that. It was fairly subtle, but I thought it was less than the car's usual performance. Like an idiot I didn't look at the % power readout. I was fairly low on battery, probably about the same as you, and the weather was cold. The battery level bar went amber about 10-11% charge, and about the same time the car asked if I wanted to go into power-saving mode (which I declined as I was only about three miles from home).

Anyway, today the car is fully charged and although I wasn't on the same bit of hill I didn't notice any reduction in the performance I would expect from the car. I think it was just a combination of low state of charge and cold weather.
Thanks for that. Makes me feel a lot better knowing that I’m not the only one to experience this.

Like you, my car also offered the power-saving mode at one point.

I did suspect it was normal behaviour for the car to throttle back the power in order to save some battery percentage, but with all I’d read on here before, it was hard not to think it might have been something more sinister.

Car is set to charge during the night and I’ll check it tomorrow and report back.

It was very subtle, at least what I experienced, and I really don't think it's the same as the fault that affected Bowfer and others. I probably wouldn't have much remarked on it except that I thought it wasn't quite the car's usual style.

I should say I think the cold weather was part of it. I remember one day back in the summer when I was down to about 5% battery being able to fly past a car in front while I was doing about 80 or 85 mph, without any discernible loss of power.

Last edited by a moderator:
As promised, just reporting back after testing again thoroughly today since charging.

Happy to report that the car behaved impeccably. Acceleration as good as it always was beforehand.

That was my experience. I think it's a combination of cold and low SoC. The car probably can't get enough out of the battery in these circumstances.

In contrast Bowfer was very clear that the effect he experienced was very marked, and occurred irrespective of state of charge or ambient temperature.

mg4 just had its first service, asked them to check the front collision detection because as much as we love surprises I'm getting a shade tired picking my teeth out of the steering wheel.

anyway, other than that the car was fine, lka had calmed its fits of murderous rage, android auto sort of mostly worked and the car even opened mostly.

i know they did something to the brakes as the car pinged me a message.

so i picked up the car took it on the motor way and bosh nothing over 60, was quite scary as i was positioned to head out into the outside lane on a very busy bit of the m60 at rush hour

i pulled off at the first chance and turned off everything that could limit the speed, but no joy at all.

seems exactly the same as everyone else in this thread.

are there any quick fixes or is it back to the dealer?

edit:

also charge was 60ish percent and it was pretty warm here today

A new member just appeared earlier today reporting pretty much the same thing.

A new member just appeared earlier today reporting pretty much the same thing.

cheers rolfe, the more i read the more it seems the same. pretty gutted, we'd been running brilliantly since the lka fix

I've had a power restriction before ... but that was when SoC was ~10%, it was cold (ish) and power was restricted to 80% when I floored it. I was still able to achieve maximum legal speeds though. (With SoC 20%+ I was easily hitting 100% power ... I made a point of testing this that day on a "pointless" drive to get SoC below 10% so I could do an overnight <10% to 100% and balance charge).

I've had a power restriction before ... but that was when SoC was ~10%, it was cold (ish) and power was restricted to 80% when I floored it. I was still able to achieve maximum legal speeds though. (With SoC 20%+ I was easily hitting 100% power ... I made a point of testing this that day on a "pointless" drive to get SoC below 10% so I could do an overnight <10% to 100% and balance charge).
is a full balancing charge worth a try do you think?

If you look a little way upthread you'll see I noticed the same thing - a combination of cold ambient temperature, low SoC, and me trying to floor it. Even so it was pretty subtle. Diggsy had it too. But we reported everything was normal after we'd charged our cars.

If you look a little way upthread you'll see I noticed the same thing - a combination of cold ambient temperature, low SoC, and me trying to floor it. Even so it was pretty subtle. Diggsy had it too. But we reported everything was normal after we'd charged our cars.

I would take a modest bet that won't change a thing.
only one way to find out.....

CHAAAAAARGE!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums