MG4 Restricted speed - weird

My car is also an early one with the privacy glass . I've only had this problem twice early on in my ownership and it's never happened again. Is there a definitive list of what dealers are carrying out routinely. I've got a bulge,and the side airbags can be felt under the bolsters but nothing else.

I suddenly started to get a warning to slow down every time I went over 30 km/hr
Turned off speed sign recognition, set it manually did everything I could to turn it off from the "Pilot" menus to no avail until I found a "hidden" adjustment. When you activate the right middle button and the blue car comes up and toggle over to the gearwheel beside the eighth notes. Toggle down to "Overspeed Threshold" Push toggler. Adjust up and down to set speed. Mine was on 30 Km/hr so I set it up to 115km/hr which will just keep you up to speed without too much consumption on the german autobahns!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 13.05.02.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 13.05.02.png
    979 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 13.05.15.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 13.05.15.png
    597.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 13.05.25.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 13.05.25.png
    747.9 KB · Views: 72
Strange are the ways of the subconscious.

I dreamed a load of nonsense last night, but for part of it I was driving my MG4 SE SR along a country lane (somewhere in Sussex I think, and it was summer!) and wanting to overtake slower traffic in front, and the car simply wouldn't pull away. I looked at the power output and it said 100% the first time but then later it was lower, I think down to single figures. My heart sank but I thought, there is a software fix for this, I need to get it done.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with my car, why am I dreaming rubbish like this?

I think actually I was musing the previous evening about whether I would have bought an X-Power if the car had been available when I bought mine, and perhaps the bit in Bjorn Nyland's video where he experiences power loss in an X-Power in extreme cold was in the back of my mind.

I think Bjorn reported power losses at low state of charge rather than cold temp. He still got 0-60 in 4secs at high SoC in cold temps?

I suddenly started to get a warning to slow down every time I went over 30 km/hr
Turned off speed sign recognition, set it manually did everything I could to turn it off from the "Pilot" menus to no avail until I found a "hidden" adjustment. When you activate the right middle button and the blue car comes up and toggle over to the gearwheel beside the eighth notes. Toggle down to "Overspeed Threshold" Push toggler. Adjust up and down to set speed. Mine was on 30 Km/hr so I set it up to 115km/hr which will just keep you up to speed without too much consumption on the german autobahns!!
I set mine to max, I got a a right foot to control that.😉

I think Bjorn reported power losses at low state of charge rather than cold temp. He still got 0-60 in 4secs at high SoC in cold temps?

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that. It was a combination of low SoC and low temperature I think. Or did it restrict at low SoC at normal temperatures too?

Here are his 0-60mph (or is it 0-100kph😁) results at different states of charge ... I'm guessing all runs were all at low temp (sub zero c) and on Winter tyres as most of his Xpower testing was at sub zero temperatures. Also interesting that his charging speeds were generally all high (around 130 kwh) despite the sub zero temps in his 1000km test.

Xpower 0-60 at SoC.jpg

Here are his 0-60mph (or is it 0-100kph😁) results at different states of charge ... I'm guessing all runs were all at low temp (sub zero c) and on Winter tyres as most of his Xpower testing was at sub zero temperatures. Also interesting that his charging speeds were generally all high (around 130 kwh) despite the sub zero temps in his 1000km test.

View attachment 22967
Maybe he noticed the car has battery heating?

View attachment 22967
Yesterday, driving around to empty the battery before a full slow charge, when the SOC dropped a little below 10% it capped the top speed at ~70kph. No acceleration test possible lol.

Bowfer's first comment is exactly the reason mine's going back. Every time not once or twice even at full charge I’ve been cruising along at 60/70 on by pass or motorway and then all of a sudden it will slow right down to 59/49 then I’ll press foot flat down and nothing.
It’s nearly caused crashes.
That and I turn right into a shop car park and any cars that go by me set off the brakes slamming on, alarms bells whistles the lot. This car has been grand for not going on any roads above 30mph.
Granted she starts every time and will take me on the 30mph roads fantastically but woe betide me if I want to go out out of my area.
That’s why the damn thing is going back
Adios
All

Last edited by a moderator:
Bowfer's first comment is exactly the reason mine's going back. Every time not once or twice even at full charge I’ve been cruising along at 60/70 on by pass or motorway and then all of a sudden it will slow right down to 59/49 then I’ll press foot flat down and nothing.
It’s nearly caused crashes.
That and I turn right into a shop car park and any cars that go by me set off the brakes slamming on, alarms bells whistles the lot. This car has been grand for not going on any roads above 30mph.
Granted she starts every time and will take me on the 30mph roads fantastically but woe betide me if I want to go out out of my area.
That’s why the damn thing is going back
Adios
All
One reasons mine got rejected best decision I made and all the comments on this page make my decision and fight in court more worth it

Some months ago I was of the opinion that anyone experiencing this should reject the car as soon as they could. However we've had several cars that have been fixed completely by a software update. Are these problem cars ones that had the relevant update and that didn't cure the issue?

I had one of the early cars. It would not accelerate from 60mph under some scenarios. No need to get into when and how. The Garage did an update and it is perfect now. I think most things being described are software issues. Mine is fantastic to drive now. My passengers who are Porsche drivers comment on the acceleration. They are impressed. Enough said.

Hi, I’m new on here I’ve had an MG 4 SE for one year now it went into the dealership four months ago for a recall, and since then it keeps cutting the power when we are driving all the time does not matter how much charge we’ve got you can be trying to overtake the lorry, and it cut the power down it has been into the dealership, they cannot find a problem I’m just wondering if anybody else is at the same problem

What was the recall for? I have this issue at <20% SOC but it also happened recently at <30%. There should be an option to turn off the reduction in power I think (turning off energy saving mode) but this doesn't happen on mine. Dealer just said it's normal!

Hi, I had power reduction sometimes. I think the bms or something was too hot. The car was still drivable, but a like 20% less powerful. Mg4 luxury 64kw

I've merged this new thread in with the existing thread which describes what seems to be the same problem.

It's quite a saga but I think reading at least some of it will be informative for anyone experiencing this.

The good news is that there is a fix which has worked for several people. The bad news is that at least one member has not been able to get it fixed and is now in the process of rejecting his car.

The possibility that a car that was previously normal can develop the problem after an update is quite scary.

Having had the car (SE SR) for almost a year now, had my first experience of power throttling today. No idea if it’s as the others have had, or the car is just protecting the battery. Car was around 13/14% battery left and wouldn’t let me above 83/84% power.

I’ve never had the battery that low before, so I’m wondering if it’s just ‘normal’ behaviour? Also noticed that the battery level bar went amber not long afterwards, although that may have coincided with it going below 10% charge.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back