MG4 Restricted speed - weird

and a liquorice stick!
It takes all sorts...

1669832121014.png

Well more odd behaviour tonight.
Made sure everything speed related off, it didn’t stop at 70mph like it did last night, but it did stop at a ‘higher’ speed (nowhere near the claimed 100mph top speed)
It’s definitely holding back, it should go much faster.
I’m wondering if it’s battery temp related as yesterday was freezing and today much milder.
And my commute is short so I’m demanding high speeds within a short time.
Whatever it is it’s bloody annoying me as my Leaf went up the same hill much faster, no drama.
I didn’t buy the 4 to be slower than the Leaf!!
What a baffling, odd car this is….

My Zero electric motorcycle will only do about 80mph on a very cold day fully charged, whereas book spee is just over the ton, so that could be your problem.

My Zero electric motorcycle will only do about 80mph on a very cold day fully charged, whereas book speed is just over the ton, so that could be your problem.

Well more odd behaviour tonight.
Made sure everything speed related off, it didn’t stop at 70mph like it did last night, but it did stop at a ‘higher’ speed (nowhere near the claimed 100mph top speed)
It’s definitely holding back, it should go much faster.
I’m wondering if it’s battery temp related as yesterday was freezing and today much milder.
And my commute is short so I’m demanding high speeds within a short time.
Whatever it is it’s bloody annoying me as my Leaf went up the same hill much faster, no drama.
I didn’t buy the 4 to be slower than the Leaf!!
What a baffling, odd car this is….
Maybe the next run set the battery preheat for before you set off and see if it makes a difference?

I had it the other day when I tried the car in sport mode .
Found that it doesn't like sport mode and keeps going into snow .Although the driver display shows sport .
Have a look .It may be that yours is doing something similar
Could it be a temperature related thing? Perhaps below 4c it doesn't like Sport mode?

Man I’m at my wits end with this car…
So while it was into the dealer for TPMS and stuck rear seat issues, I had a loan 5.
It was a joy to drive, flying up the bypass I use to go home with no issues.
Started cold, battery conditioner off (I checked).
My car tonight, same bypass, foot the floor, 61mph….!!!!!!!
Any speed limiting is off.
The speed sign thing is on, but was showing 70mph (so why stop me at 61mph…?)
I’m at a loss to explain why my car pleases itself what speed I’m limited to on the way home, no rhyme nor reason to it.
I’ve never felt such utter despair with a car…
Not something I can easily show to the dealer either as it seems to be peculiar to my journey home.
But it’s my bloody journey home and I can’t change that!
Honestly…61 foot to the floor…what the hell

My current EV, with the limiter function permanently off, warns me when exceeding the displayed speed limit with a silent advice indicator (speed limit turns red) but does not restrict speed irrespective of battery temp such as this morning on the bypass at 2°
It will when battery % drops below a certain level and will advise me accordingly but your car seems to have an electronic mind of its own if all such settings are off...that you can easily locate...and it screws your speed down on a road that is legally permitted to 70mph. Could be described as "hazardous" if overtaking if you want to push it with the dealer again. Should be something in the logs if examined I would have thought.

Are you flooring the throttle or being more progressive about it?

Flooring it, like I have every other car on that road including the 5 I’ve had for two days.
I did think acceleration felt really lethargic tonight, and generally disappointing since I got the car ti be honest.
Should have felt faster than my Leaf, never has.
When it ‘stuck’ at 61mph I did try coming off the throttle and going back on gently etc
The 5 felt like it had another 50bhp on top of my car and felt positively fast in comparison.
If my 4 went like the 5 I’d love it.

Well I had a repeat of the lumpy/slow acceleration and restricted top speed tonight (low 50s mph)
Guess what percentage the battery was at….
Yup, 40%….

Well I had a repeat of the lumpy/slow acceleration and restricted top speed tonight (low 50s mph)
Yup, 40%….
There is some problem with your car if I put my toe down in ours let's just say it will go

Yup, 40%….
I think you have a MBS or battery issue. The car doesn't really seem to know what state of charge it has and this could be why you are also getting poor range as 100% indicated isn't a full charge. 40% is not a low charge and you shouldn't be seeing restricted power until a much lower charge.

Last edited:
I think you have a MBS or battery issue. The car doesn't really seem to know what state of charge it has and this could be why you are also getting poor range as 100% indicated isn't a full charge. 40% is not a low charge and you shouldn't be seeing restricted power until a much lower charge.
Just had a thought on our MG ZS EV MK1 you can view the battery voltage, motor speed and current on one screen, can you do this on the MG4, and see if the voltage collapses in the situation above, as this would indicate the BMS doesn't know the true SOC potentially due to not balancing fully or a fault battery pack

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back