MG4 Restricted speed - weird

The cynic in me can’t help thinking this car has been rejected because of this and the dealer is just hoping the next owner won’t notice.
If I were you I’d get rid of it right now, while you’re still within an easy time frame.

EDIT you could post the reg here, see if anyone recognises it as their rejected car
Not sure where we stand for rejecting, having paid cash on a second hand car?
Reg is WR72BJZ - salesman said it was a motability return

2nd hand doesn't matter - the Consumer Rights Act 2015 still applies, other than the "price paid" element taking into account the condition of the goods (provided that the description properly described the condition of the goods).

BTW - WR reg is Bristol area.

I believe you can give them 1 go at fixing the issue, then can reject the car. You need to check with the citizens advice on exactly your rights (given you have just purchased you may be able to legally return now). Give them a call, I find them excellent and they have all the legally worded templates online for you(if they play silly b*****s).
I would be finding out why they have sold you a car that they must know is faulty.

I believe you can give them 1 go at fixing the issue, then can reject the car. You need to check with the citizens advice on exactly your rights (given you have just purchased you may be able to legally return now). Give them a call, I find them excellent and they have all the legally worded templates online for you(if they play silly b*****s).
I would be finding out why they have sold you a car that they must know is faulty.

There’s no need for citizens advise or template letters at this point.
The dealer ‘probably’ has some sort of time period during which you can return easily, most do.
Check that first, tell them your car has a well documented problem that is known to be a nightmare/impossible to fix and you want out.

There’s no need for citizens advise or template letters at this point.
The dealer ‘probably’ has some sort of time period during which you can return easily, most do.
Check that first, tell them your car has a well documented problem that is known to be a nightmare to fix and you want out.
I am sure you are right Bowfer, but given my experiences I now always take the belt and braces approach. The good thing about having a chat with CAB is that you will be absolutely sure of your legal rights, just in case the dealer starts spouting guff and attempts to have the uninformed running round in circles. It does happen :cautious:

Hi all, just to report back on this. Yesterday, I had my first proper opportunity to test this problem in my car after receiving it back with this new £5,000 part fitted (this is the 4th attempt at a fix after multiple software updates). Unfortunately, I was able to replicate the issue within about 1 minute of trying and then multiple times over. It seems this attempt has done nothing to help resolve the situation.

MG must have known about this issue for some months now, though it seems as though they still can't get a handle on it or really know what's causing it.

My advice to anybody who's experiencing this symptom is to consider carefully whether you wish to keep the car.

As somebody else mentioned above, there may be many more (maybe SR versions) out there with this problem that hasn't yet been noticed by the owners.

I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have it, as I have thrashed it on the motorway on a number of occasions and noticed nothing like that at all. The bloody car goes like a bat out of hell.

I still think it's software-related, but on the other hand that doesn't make sense that it's not all cars, because surely there isn't one software version that only a few cars have that's causing this.

I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have it, as I have thrashed it on the motorway on a number of occasions and noticed nothing like that at all. The bloody car goes like a bat out of hell.

I still think it's software-related, but on the other hand that doesn't make sense that it's not all cars, because surely there isn't one software version that only a few cars have that's causing this.
There have clearly been a number of software bugs, particularly with the newer LFP pack, however it could easily be some bad battery packs or faulty motors making it out into the world, meaning that this is fundamentally a hardware issue.

I'm beginning to think you must be right. I thought it might be battery-saving software that was turning itself on when it wasn't wanted, but I can't see why that would only affect some cars - indeed a small minority.

There have clearly been a number of software bugs, particularly with the newer LFP pack, however it could easily be some bad battery packs or faulty motors making it out into the world, meaning that this is fundamentally a hardware issue.

Yet they ‘allegedly’ replaced the drive motor in mine with no improvement.
Of course it could be that wasn’t the particular piece of hardware required.
Or it could be they replaced one bad motor with another.
Who knows…..MG don’t.

Hi all, just to report back on this. Yesterday, I had my first proper opportunity to test this problem in my car after receiving it back with this new £5,000 part fitted (this is the 4th attempt at a fix after multiple software updates). Unfortunately, I was able to replicate the issue within about 1 minute of trying and then multiple times over. It seems this attempt has done nothing to help resolve the situation.

MG must have known about this issue for some months now, though it seems as though they still can't get a handle on it or really know what's causing it.

My advice to anybody who's experiencing this symptom is to consider carefully whether you wish to keep the car.

As somebody else mentioned above, there may be many more (maybe SR versions) out there with this problem that hasn't yet been noticed by the owners.

So what’s next then?
Rejection, surely.

What exactly did you do to replicate the problem?

After reading this post a few days ago, and I took my SR out and gave it a good thrashing and there was no problems.
I wonder if it is a few isolated incidents and you've been unlucky dude.

After reading this post a few days ago, and I took my SR out and gave it a good thrashing and there was no problems.
I wonder if it is a few isolated incidents and you've been unlucky dude.

I've had mine out on the motorway a few times and I just hope the speed cops don't read this forum. No sign of any power loss. Not even at low SoC. It overtook a slowcoach on an A road doing 80+ when I was at only 5% once.

It's obviously a significant number of cars, but still only a small % of the whole as far as I can see. Some people have been really unlucky.

I was out for a "bimble" a few months ago and joined the M74 at J11 (I think - the Route 74 truck stop junction). That has a longish uphill slip road (which I joined at 30 mph) and I booted it ... I was at almost 3 figures by the time I joined the motorway (at whch point I backed off). I can't remember the SoC but it wasn't particularly high.

tl;dr ... mine isn't one of the affected ones. :)

I was coming up the M74 from the south and not really meaning to boot it particularly but the traffic was all going quite fast - it was on the uphill stretch to Beattock I think. I looked down and saw 92 and guiltily took my foot off the accelerator.

I was out for a "bimble" a few months ago and joined the M74 at J11 (I think - the Route 74 truck stop junction). That has a longish uphill slip road (which I joined at 30 mph) and I booted it ... I was at almost 3 figures by the time I joined the motorway (at whch point I backed off). I can't remember the SoC but it wasn't particularly high.

tl;dr ... mine isn't one of the affected ones. :)

Mine wasn’t one of the affected ones, until it was….

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back