MG4 Restricted speed - weird

I've been unable to test mine under full power for extended amount of time, there's simply been too much traffic or poor conditions for me to really rule out the restricted power issue. So far I've not experienced the 'pulling back' feeling when overtaking (WOT) or on long uphill drives. A track day or dyno session would be good to get somewhat repeatable result.

Even some Audi Etrons or whatever they are called are rating their car at 'peak' power, EG 650HP for a bit, then is ramps back to 500HP or so, so this isn't an MG4 exclusive issue. They do list this in the specs, but you do need to dig a bit to find this info.

This isn’t power being ramped back and then speed suffers accordingly.
It’s the other way around.
The car decides what speed I’m being allowed, then stops at that speed and the power is ramped back to a level that holds that speed.
For example, last night the car decided 71mph was all I was getting.
So up to 71mph I got full power, then once it stopped at 71mph it decided 38% power was all I needed to hold that speed and the power meter tumbled accordingly.
Stamping on the throttle or coming off gently and reapplying gently makes no difference.

You only need to look at Auto Trader to see how many are back up for sale with very low mileages.
Most folk don't come to a forum to vent, they just hand the car back to the dealer and move on.
Are you saying that the cars on Autotrader are as a result of owners rejecting them and then being resold by dealers? How do you know this? They are a popular car, of course there is going to be a lot up for sale.

I do get the impression that there’s a lot of ‘pootling around’ going on by way of how owners drive their cars and in doing so they may never have this issue…

Are you saying that the cars on Autotrader are as a result of owners rejecting them and then being resold by dealers? How do you know this? They are a popular car, of course there is going to be a lot up for sale.

I’ve not checked but if it’s true there’s a lot of low mileage examples for sale already it’s perfectly reasonable to suggest it’s cars that have been handed back.
They can’t all be ex-demo and it’s far too soon for them to be motability.
There’s no doubt in my mind plenty have been handed back for less than I’m experiencing, people will have rejected over oil leaks alone.

I’ve not checked but if it’s true there’s a lot of low mileage examples for sale already it’s perfectly reasonable to suggest it’s cars that have been handed back.
There’s no doubt in my mind plenty have been handed back for less than I’m experiencing, people will have rejected over oil leaks alone.
There are 36 used MG4s currently on autotrader nationally. That doesn't seem many given how many thousand are in the country.

Quite a number of these could easily be ex-demo, it is 6 months since dealers got their demo stock. No doubt some are rejections. But we really don't know.

36 used examples is not a lot given the popularity of the model.

36 used examples is not a lot given the popularity of the model.

It seems a lot to me for a new model.
You can’t really compare it against sales, as sales include cars that aren’t necessarily delivered.
So you’d have to compare it with cars actually delivered.
We’ll have to accept different opinions about whether this is Normal or unusual.

Put it this way, there will be 37 low mileage cars for sale soon :ROFLMAO:

It seems a lot to me for a new model.
You can’t really compare it against sales, as sales include cars that aren’t necessarily delivered.
So you’d have to compare it with cars actually delivered.
We’ll have to accept different opinions about whether this is Normal or unusual.

Put it this way, there will be 37 low mileage cars for sale soon :ROFLMAO:
And one low speed (at least one).

People have "rejected" car orders via cancellation based on forming opinions like Leni said based on others experiences. Experience is the best teacher but doesn't have to be your own experience you learn from.
It's all about tolerance, what one person will accept another will not.
I think bowfer you have been unbelievably patient and not to mention someone like Jester who eventually rejected after a 2nd car was given.
Some people have had great experiences as no issues, and I don't doubt them. They may never have one, they may in future have one but everyone has a threshold of what they will or can tolerate.
I for one, with closest dealer 30 miles away and knowing myself (like my ma would say, man know thyself) as one with a very short fuse will no doubt blow my top if I had a brand new car that spends more time at dealership than my house. What's that all about?
I also don't believe in letting companies enjoy the rewards of my patience as they don't reward me financially but actually it costs me to be patient after already incuring the cost of paying for their product or service which has failed to do what it said on the tin.
Call me complicated, intolerant, difficult, unreasonable but if I'm spending my money I expect a certain level of satisfaction to be met and won't feel grateful or thankful because a company that is making millions off people like me feels they can be half arsed about getting it right and have gotten away with it previously, so they just continue.
The car isn't being given for use free of charge or at half price, it is paid for, at said organisations listed price so if I pay what you have valued your car to be, you damn sure make sure it does what it says it should be doing.

I have tried to get into EV for near 2 years now and guess what I still haven't because of said low tolerance level. Whenever I've placed an order I make it clear to dealer that you have given me a lead time of 5 months or as the case may be which on a normal day is way out of my comfort zone. My commitment to you is a grace period of a 4 week delay after the estimated time of delivery and if I get any of their stupid email or phonecall notifications of delays beyond my grace period I have cancelled. Every Single Time.
People accept too much bullshit from organisations and I don't criticise them for it but not me.
They'll never bend over for you if the roles were reversed so why do it for them.

I have tried to get into EV for near 2 years now and guess what I still haven't because of said low tolerance level. Whenever I've placed an order I make it clear to dealer that you have given me a lead time of 5 months or as the case may be which on a normal day is way out of my comfort zone. My commitment to you is a grace period of a 4 week delay after the estimated time of delivery and if I get any of their stupid email or phonecall notifications of delays beyond my grace period I have cancelled. Every Single Time.
People accept too much bullsh*t from organisations and I don't criticise them for it but not me.
They'll never bend over for you if the roles were reversed so why do it for them.
I hope you find an EV suitable for you soon. Totally understand your reasons and I respect your commitment to your principles. Good luck.

People accept too much bullsh*t from organisations and I don't criticise them for it but not me.

I don’t wait for cars, I can’t remember the last time I did.
Last few cars I’ve bought (not necessarily in order)

MG4, first enquiry to collection 2 weeks
Nissan Leaf 40, in stock
Polo GTi, in stock
Nisssn leaf 24, in stock
Evoque, in stock
Polo tsi, in stock

It’s my long term experience thst there is always someone with the car you want, somewhere.
Might need some travelling, but that’s easy.

Waiting months for a car is alien to me and will continue to be so.

Nissan Leaf 40, in stock
Polo GTi, in stock
Nisssn leaf 24, in stock
Evoque, in stock
Polo tsi, in stock

It’s my long term experience thst there is always someone with the car you want, somewhere.

I know what you mean.
It's quite strange to me too.
I guess the shortages post pandemic as well as the choice being EV which most seem to have that issue (though easing up now) combined with it being "the way electric cars are now being bought" made me bear it grudgingly.

However I realise that it is such customer demand and tolerance that has allowed car manufactures to get away with the obscenely high prices they have artificially maintained, hence why the MG4 scored a lot of points for many people. If only they could have lived up to the expectations.

Nissan Leaf 40, in stock
Polo GTi, in stock
Nisssn leaf 24, in stock
Evoque, in stock
Polo tsi, in stock

Unless it’s in MG for repair 🙂

Nissan Leaf 40, in stock
Polo GTi, in stock
Nisssn leaf 24, in stock
Evoque, in stock
Polo tsi, in stock

I agree had an MG4 on order for 8 weeks, fatal or a godsend depending on your take. Joined this forum and saw this issues come rolling in, if the car has been in stock or close I would have had it, as it was I cancelled for exactly the reasons Retsiba mentioned.

Ordered my current car from incoming UK stock of the anticipated first delivery 5 weeks later had my car.

Again as Retsiba said just because a car is "cheap" it should still work as it's designed to work

Experienced my first power loss yesterday in my SE SR, similar to others.
Left on a short trip with 38% battery, but on the return leg it was down to 18% about 3 miles from home on a 70 mph dual carriageway.
Going up a long hill just before my exit doing about 70 mph, I started overtaking a slower truck. Pulled into the outside lane, got half way past the truck, put my foot down and..... nothing! Worse still, my speed started dropping and another car came up behind me in the outside lane! Fortunately, the truck slowed down more than I and I just managed to creep past him and cut in to make my exit in time.
I call that DANGEROUS!

Experienced my first power loss yesterday in my SE SR, similar to others.
Left on a short trip with 38% battery, but on the return leg it was down to 18% about 3 miles from home on a 70 mph dual carriageway.
Going up a long hill just before my exit doing about 70 mph, I started overtaking a slower truck. Pulled into the outside lane, got half way past the truck, put my foot down and..... nothing! Worse still, my speed started dropping and another car came up behind me in the outside lane! Fortunately, the truck slowed down more than I and I just managed to creep past him and cut in to make my exit in time.
I call that DANGEROUS!

At the point your foot was down but the speed wouldn’t rise, the power meter will have tumbled.
I don’t suppose you noticed what it went down to?

You are aware that the 150kw isnt a constant rating and continuous power is 68kw?

If the motor is overheating it might cause throttle back.

Picture from manual
9E276DF2-7CC4-4EF5-B0A8-56AC10A63019.jpeg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums