MG4 Restricted speed - weird

Small update: I received the "SC47" update that improves something with the brake energy recovery. Since that update I have a very good and realistic energy consumption (before: 1.5 km per percent, after: 3 km per percent) and no more power reduction. I tested it with 13 % SoC @ 2 °C and got up to 96 % power in the display. Hooray!
Is this a BMS update?

EDIT: I found this on another thread " SC47 EH32 CCU Software Update", though not sure what CCU is

Does anybody know what all the possible updates are?
  • Infotainment?
  • Main Engine Control Unit (ECU)
  • Battery Management (BMS)
  • MPU Software Version (what's MPU?)
  • MCU Software Version (what's MCU?)
  • Telecom Version (Trophy Only)

Is this a BMS update?

EDIT: I found this on another thread " SC47 EH32 CCU Software Update", though not sure what CCU is

Does anybody know what all the possible updates are?
  • Infotainment?
  • Main Engine Control Unit (ECU)
  • Battery Management (BMS)
  • MPU Software Version (what's MPU?)
  • MCU Software Version (what's MCU?)
  • Telecom Version (Trophy Only)
CCU is charge control unit, I've had an update applied for that but was advise it was to prevent issues with using rapids that have caused some people issues

@Swampy any progress with your rejection?
I went to town on Santander today, it’s exactly a month since the car was delivered back to the dealer and their letter confirming rejection.
Still no refund of the direct debits, still no word on when I’m getting the deposit refunded to my card.
And what really set me off was a text from Santander today saying I’d missed a payment on a car I don’t bloody have any more…
The woman was very apologetic and confirmed this should have been sorted weeks ago.

I went to town on Santander today, it’s exactly a month since the car was delivered back to the dealer and their letter confirming rejection.
Still no refund of the direct debits, still no word on when I’m getting the deposit refunded to my card.
And what really set me off was a text from Santander today saying I’d missed a payment on a car I don’t bloody have any more…
The woman was very apologetic and confirmed this should have been sorted weeks ago.
Hope they sort it asap, sounds like left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, but either way you have waited long enough.

Maybe ask for interest on the money the owe you. Unreal.

the tech was taking the car out today to experience the power issue and at the same time have a live feed plugged into the car to get certain parameters for MG Motors to evaluate from what I gather.
the dealership said they would phone me back EOB today with an update.

edit.
these are the updates they did the other day. One of them was suppose to have sorted the power issue but obviously didn’t.
“As requested by yourself in regards to what has been updated on your MG-4, we have carried out multiple updates to the vehicles BCM, EMCU, SCU and IPK also configured the vehicles FDR.”

Oh come on.

Yeah, and they wanted a £35 late payment fee!

1681755245034.png

Hi all, first post here so please excuse the basic question. I recently purchased an MG4 EV, ex demo car 4 months old. I've started to have this problem - today at 36% charge it was holding me around 40 on a national speed limit A road.

I reported the issue and the garage suggested removing the speed cap in the settings (it was set at 100mph) but it hasn't fixed it.

I've got a few days left when I can just return it within the 30 days. Or I can book it in for a service.

Would you advise returning it or trying to get it fixed? It seems as though software updates can fix it but I'm not sure from this thread what my chances are and whether I'll end up with the car in the shop for weeks or months.

Hi all, first post here so please excuse the basic question. I recently purchased an MG4 EV, ex demo car 4 months old. I've started to have this problem - today at 36% charge it was holding me around 40 on a national speed limit A road.

I reported the issue and the garage suggested removing the speed cap in the settings (it was set at 100mph) but it hasn't fixed it.

I've got a few days left when I can just return it within the 30 days. Or I can book it in for a service.

Would you advise returning it or trying to get it fixed? It seems as though software updates can fix it but I'm not sure from this thread what my chances are and whether I'll end up with the car in the shop for weeks or months.
The short answer is we don't know if there's an update that will fix this. There are some updates and they clearly fix some things for some people but it isn't clear that there's a definitive fix for this. It seems there are multiple bugs at play.

I would suggest that you tell your dealer that this is a known issue which has resulted in cars being rejected as they were unable to fix. It's all in this thread. Then suggest that they have one chance to fix your car or you too will have to consider rejection and that you need a courtesy car while they attempt to fix . You need to play hard ball with this.

I would suggest that you tell your dealer that this is a known issue which has resulted in cars being rejected as they were unable to fix. It's all in this thread. Then suggest that they have one chance to fix your car or you too will have to consider rejection and that you need a courtesy car while they attempt to fix . You need to play hard ball with this.
Best advice. Not many seem to have this issue. But those who do don't seem to get it fixed. So give them a chance to fix it within 30 days, otherwise reject.

Just adding a bit more data to this thread. I'm experiencing this pretty frequently now (it's booked in for mid-May to be looked at). Though I had a slightly different experience last time. The power was being restricted, though not to maintain a certain speed, it was being limited to 40%, though was continuing to accelerate, as far as 40% would go. It was repeatable over and over.

I stopped and powered off the car a couple of times, which reset the behaviour back to normal, though withing a few hard accelerations the symptoms returned. Battery SoC was around 50%.

I guess this would suggest that it's a software issue, some kind of condition that's triggering something?

Just adding a bit more data to this thread. I'm experiencing this pretty frequently now (it's booked in for mid-May to be looked at). Though I had a slightly different experience last time. The power was being restricted, though not to maintain a certain speed, it was being limited to 40%, though was continuing to accelerate, as far as 40% would go. It was repeatable over and over.

I stopped and powered off the car a couple of times, which reset the behaviour back to normal, though withing a few hard accelerations the symptoms returned. Battery SoC was around 50%.

I guess this would suggest that it's a software issue, some kind of condition that's triggering something?
Do you have a SR or LR MG4? If SR, regular 100% weekly charging is recommended to keep the battery healthy and balance it. That may reduce the occurrence but doesn't explain it, this is still a fault.

Best advice. Not many seem to have this issue. But those who do don't seem to get it fixed. So give them a chance to fix it within 30 days, otherwise reject.
Thanks. I think as I'm approaching the 30 day mark I'm just going to return it and find another. Hopefully I won't be unlucky twice!

Maybe ask for interest on the money the owe you. Unreal.

the tech was taking the car out today to experience the power issue and at the same time have a live feed plugged into the car to get certain parameters for MG Motors to evaluate from what I gather.
the dealership said they would phone me back EOB today with an update.

edit.
these are the updates they did the other day. One of them was suppose to have sorted the power issue but obviously didn’t.
“As requested by yourself in regards to what has been updated on your MG-4, we have carried out multiple updates to the vehicles BCM, EMCU, SCU and IPK also configured the vehicles FDR.”
Wow. Bombard the customer with acronyms. Ridiculous.

Do you have a SR or LR MG4? If SR, regular 100% weekly charging is recommended to keep the battery healthy and balance it. That may reduce the occurrence but doesn't explain it, this is still a fault.
Thanks, it's an SR. I'm charging to 100% each week at work on 7kW charger, it hasn't seemed to help my situation (although it does seem to occur less frequently with higher SoC)

ncing this pretty frequently now (it's booked in for mid-May to be looked at). Though I had a slightly different experience last time. The power was being restricted, though not to maintain a certain speed, it was being limited to 40%, though was continuing to accelerate, as far as 40% would go. It was repeatable over and over.
We had this after 2 software updates (after a 12v battery drain problem). 3rd time lucky, the dealer has fixed it. Car accelerates as briskly as normal all the way up. It should now be a recognised issue with fix at your dealer.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back