MG4 Reviews from various online publications

Part two.

šŸ¤£ True that.

I really enjoyed that, thanks for posting it. (I did like it when he said "just turn off all that shit and drive it!")

I wanted to see how he got on camping in the car. My inner ten-year-old really wants to give it a try. Now I've seen it I think he was a bit of an idiot on that one. He was seen slightly uncomfortably wedged against the back of the passenger seat, saying he had to lie a bit diagonally because there wasn't room to stretch out. Then he mentioned that the passenger seat was in its normal position. He hadn't pushed it forwards!

Yesterday I was poking around in the boot with the back seats folded down, and I measured it. If you push the passenger seat as far forward as it will go, and put the seat back in the upright position, the distance from the back of the seat to the tailgate is 180 cm. Exactly six feet. I don't know how tall Bjorn is but he doesn't strike me as being over six feet. I'm five feet seven (170 cm) and I could stretch out in that space easily, without having to lie diagonally.

When it stops raining I think I'll fish out my airbed and see how it fits.

Last edited:
Yes it rides and handles really good, the main highlight of the car. Beside being practical inside and efficient. And it looks great!

I think so too.

Yesterday evening I drove home very low on charge, because a charger I had intended to use wasn't working. I could have stopped at a motorway service station for a quick five minutes of rapid charge just to be safe, but when I looked at the mileage I could see I was OK to get home. So I just went for it.

The car was brilliant. At 10% charge it asked me if I wanted to go into energy-saving mode, and when I said no, it just went on driving as before. Shortly after that I was on a straight section of empty road and accelerated up beyond 70 mph no problem. When I was only about 2 miles from home and on no more than 5% charge I was on another long straight stretch with a slowcoach in front of me. I pulled out and overtook, and the car reached 80 mph without any hesitation at all - and would have been prepared to keep it up if I hadn't throttled back.

When it got to 4% charge the dashboard got quite lively with warning signs and exhortations to charge, but the car went right on behaving. I can't say whether it would have shot up to 80 at that point as I was in a 20 mph zone and only half a mile from the charger, but it didn't feel unresponsive.

Not many criticisms but the stereo and lka were definitely singled out
The sound system in the Trophy is a step up from the SE. I have sat in both models and the sound system in the Trophy was about the same in the Audi i swapped from. So not bad in my opinion for a budget electric vehicle!

I don't listen to much heavy metal, where it probably doesn't perform as well!

I wanted to see how he got on camping in the car. My inner ten-year-old really wants to give it a try.
My inner ten year old wants to do a lot of things my 60+ year old body now protests vigorously against and I can guarantee my joints would be protesting in the most persuasive manor not to do it again if I did sleep in the back of the car šŸ¤£

Last edited:
I listen to rock/metal ( not the heaviest tho! Like sonata arctica, sabaton, avantasia, three days grace being some examples). That might be why I feel the system is lacking.

Another video from BjĆørn. You can call it "all complaints + range test" in one video. You can see all his complaints about ACC (slows down in the corners like a freaking toyota driver!), TJA - autosteer being useless and poor sound system. Pretty much spot on in my experience.

My inner ten year old wants to do a lot of things my 60+ year old body now protests vigorously against and I can guarantee my joints would be protesting in the most persuasive manor not to do it again if I did sleep in the back of the car šŸ¤£

Well, my point is that it seems to me you can get a proper air mattress in there. If that's correct, the aching joints thing should not be an issue. Bjorn looked quite uncomfortable, although he did say later that the MG4 was "made for camping". But he only had a sleeping mat, and why he didn't push that front seat forward I'll never know. He even said, of course it would work better with the passenger seat pushed forward!

It's always possible to take the car to a car audio shop and have speakers - and maybe even the amp - upgraded. But to be honest I'm not really tempted. My music tracks sound so much better without having to compete with ICE noise that I'm quite satisfied.

My Trophy has various controls to 'colour' the sound. I found the 'Classic FM' (on DAB) very 'dull' and 'muffled' but that was corrected when I selected '3D Sound'. (I believe this is only available on the Trophy.)

He said the duel motor version cost extra 20000rmb on top of his Trophy, thatā€™s like Ā£2200, that would have made Ā£35k for the UK performance model, woohoošŸ˜Ž
Unfortunately I doubt it would sell at Ā£35k though.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back