MG4 Reviews from various online publications

My other car has a knob with a blue dot at one end of the scale and a red dot at the other. I turn it until I'm warm enough. I treat our MG the same way - if I'm cold I turn it up, if I'm hot I turn it down. I don't actually need to know the temperature to know if I'm comfy!

Yeah, that's one way of looking at it!

My previous car had a physical dial, but it worked much the same way as the MG's. The scale had LO at one end and HI at the other, with some numbers in between. The highest number before HI was 26, and I don't remember the lowest number because I never went there. On long journeys I found that 23 was usually the most comfortable setting, give or take. With the MG I find that 28 is usually the most comfortable setting. So what?

The difference I really notice between the two cars is that in the Golf I got in and turned the knob to HI, and had to leave it there for some time before I started to turn it down. And that was with heated seats, too. With the MG the cabin gets to a comfortable temperature quickly at the temperature I set it at. It doesn't need 20 minutes blasting at HI first. Maybe this is because I got the car in April and it's been warm all June, but it was chilly in April too. And I haven't used the pre-heat much, it's still a bit of a novelty. (Maybe the sluggish start to the heating in the Golf was due to having to wait for the engine to heat up first of course, whereas the MG just turns its heater on the minute you say so.)

Same with the cooling though. I've used the pre-cool a couple of times, and it's good, but even if I don't, the AC gets the car to a nice temperature quite quickly without needing to blast me with freezing air in the process.

My other car has a knob with a blue dot at one end of the scale and a red dot at the other.

As with the 2015 car I traded in. Didn't realise how much I'd miss that simplicity.
We're all going to have to get used to it though, stabbing at laggy touchscreens on our bouncy roads while lane keep tries to kill you is the new motoring norm apparently :oops:

Not if you don't want it to be. I don't touch the touchscreen when I'm driving as a rule. Lane Keep goes off before I start, I decide what drive mode or regen strength I want at the same time, and stick with it. I use the steering wheel joystick to control the heating/aircon, and the audio volume. (I also decide between radio and USB music before I start.) It works.

I had to pull over one day last week when the USB audio suddenly did a massive hiccup and instead of continuing with the next track, went back to the start of the stick. But this sort of thing happens very rarely. Usually the USB player is very good about keeping my place in the background, even while I do several journeys with the radio on.

Not if you don't want it to be. I don't touch the touchscreen when I'm driving as a rule. Lane Keep goes off before I start, I decide what drive mode or regen strength I want at the same time, and stick with it. I use the steering wheel joystick to control the heating/aircon, and the audio volume. (I also decide between radio and USB music before I start.) It works.

I had to pull over one day last week when the USB audio suddenly did a massive hiccup and instead of continuing with the next track, went back to the start of the stick. But this sort of thing happens very rarely. Usually the USB player is very good about keeping my place in the background, even while I do several journeys with the radio on.

Rationalize it by all means but the truth is manufacturers ( and nannying legislation) are making the car / driver interaction poorer every year IMO.
It's about saving money on build cost and aping this infernal minimalist interior trend started by Tesla.

I don't like it and I'm too stuck in my ways to change šŸ§

I agree with you. But with things we can't change - at least not right now - I prefer not to get bent out of shape about it. And I really do like the way the HVAC operates, aside from the silly temperature scale thing.

By the way, as regards stabbing at the infotainment screen while moving, if I have to do it I put the four fingers of my left hand on the top of the screen then use the thumb to touch the screen. Doing it that way, I don't miss.

Nice exercise in fence-sitting. I see I was wrong about the cargo space, but I do remember seeing someone trying to sit in the back seat of the Dolphin and getting a crick in his neck.

What's this about "compact SUV"? The MG4 doesn't seem like any sort of SUV to me.

Definitely a family hatchback the 4, id3, megane, born all in the same category, part of the attraction of these cars are that they are different from the bog standard SUV EVs, now joined by the Astra

I'm willing to bet that the byd dolphin is not as good, comfortable and fun to drive as the MG4. But it most likely beat it in other areas like infotainment, software and interior.

And MG 4 looks far better.

I see MG 4 losing on cargo space compared to competition, I do not fully agree on that as most other cars win by having deeper boot due to FWD, many times this doesn't really help. And the boot opening is quite large, and luxury/trophy can have flat floor, which is handy at times.

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet that the byd dolphin is not as good, comfortable and fun to drive as the MG4. But it most likely beat it in other areas like infotainment and software.

And MG 4 looks far better.

I see MG 4 losing on cargo space compared to competition, I do not fully agree on that as most other cars win by having deeper boot due to FWD, many times this doesn't really help. And the boot opening is quite large, and luxury/trophy can have flat floor, which is handy at times.
MG4 looks very modern. BYD Dolphin looks old. Not for me on looks alone

MG4 looks very modern. BYD Dolphin looks old. Not for me on looks alone
I agree the exterior is very generic but the interior is a step up in levels from the MG, most of the reviews comment on the quality and the two bigger battery models are pretty well specced up

Both the MG4 and Dolphin will be released in Australia (my country) within the next couple of months but you can order them here now.

The base MG4 is A$38990....125kw., 250nm., 51kwh battery, 350km. range, 0/100kph. 7.7 seconds.

The base BYD Dolphin is A$38,890...70kw.,180nm., 44kwh battery, 340km, range, 0/100kph. 12.2 secs.

What were BYD thinking at that price....no competitition and the only thing in the favour of the base Dolphin over the similarly priced MG4 is that it has all the features such as Sat Nav, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alert, front electric seats, front parking sensors etc. etc.

The similarly priced higher spec Dolphins compared to the higher spec MG4 are a different story and may sell well in Oz as they are quicker with many more features but time will tell I suppose.

Last edited:
I would like front parking sensors! But not at that speed. That 0-60 is the performance of a slug. Forget it. Just forget it. And you can't get anyone over about five feet six in the back seat.

Both the MG4 and Dolphin will be released in Australia (my country) within the next couple of months but you can order them here now.

The base MG4 is A$38990....125kw., 250nm., 51kwh battery, 350km. range, 0/100kph. 7.7 seconds.

The base BYD Dolphin is A$38,890...70kw.,180nm., 44kwh battery, 340km, range, 0/100kph. 12.2 secs.

What were BYD thinking at that price....no competitition and the only thing in the favour of the base Dolphin over the similarly priced MG4 is that it has all the features such as Sat Nav, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alert, front parking sensors etc. etc.

The similarly priced higher spec Dolphins compared to the higher spec MG4 are a different story and may sell well in Oz as they are quicker with many more features but time will tell I suppose.
No competition in the models you compare as you say thought the top spec car may compete with the mg4 201 bhp, 0-60 7.0 secs Ā£32k loads of kit and quality finish.
Again wouldn't suit me as @Rolfe says not enough room in the nack

No competition in the models you compare as you say thought the top spec car may compete with the mg4 201 bhp, 0-60 7.0 secs Ā£32k loads of kit and quality finish.
Again wouldn't suit me as @Rolfe says not enough room in the nack
The mid spec Dolphin has 150kw (same as MG4) and more torque at 310 nm than the mid spec MG4 at 250nm for virtually the same price here in Oz (A$45k) and is a bit quicker 0/62mph (100kph) in 7 secs as opposed to 7.9 secs for the MG4.
It also has many more bells and whistles, same as base Dolphin.
The top spec Dolphin Sport arriving next year has the same 150kw motor but tweaked to do 0/100kph in around 6.5 seconds and will obviously be more expensive.

None of the Dolphin reviews I have read and seen on videos complain about lack of back seat room and reviewers especially praise the leg room and I am referring to motoring journalists over 6 feet tall. It appears to me that the Dolphin has more room in the back than the MG4 comparing reviews of both and it also has more boot/trunk room.
No idea where the cramped back seat rumour came from....

Also, apparently the aussie version is a little longer than the Chinese version to cater for our collision laws.

I love the MG4 but will definately be comparing both mid spec models side by side when they arrive about the same time in Oz in September/October. :)

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel