smartn

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I'm thinking of taking my MG4 up to Scotland as I've had it over a year and only done 7.5K. I notice we seem to have a lot of Scottish members so was after some advice on where to go for nice driving and great scenery and also where to stay. I was thinking the NC500 but everyone seems to do that and I'm sure Scotland has much more to offer. Aiming to go in May and stay for around a week so any ideas (including tips on charging) would be much appreciated.

Chargeplace Scotland are the big operator there and recommendation is to get one of their RFID cards before going as 4G coverage for the app is poor.

Also look at Tesla open to all superchargers - Fort William and a few other locations. There do appear to be a few more commercial operators opening up now so things hopefully improving.

Whilst I might tend to agree with you - if it means getting a charge or not getting charged it's worth it!
With a username like yours, I see why you'd agree. Granted, I'd rather not be stranded out in the sticks with no phone signal. Will have to contemplate if I end up doing a Scotland trip. As I'm based on South coast, it's a very long way but on the list to do at some point.

Anywhere up the west coast, from the Borders, through Argyle and Bute, up through Oban and Fort William and beyond is all beautiful. Plus there are the western isles as well. And if you get decent weather (which is often the case in May) then it makes it all seem more magical. :)

Last time we were in Argyle and Bute (last year) we stayed at the Kames Hotel (not far from Tighnabruaich), which is on the shores of the Kyles of Bute and overlooks the island of Bute. They had an outdoor socket which they let me plug my granny lead in to (and didn't even charge me for the leccy), and they said they were looking at getting a 7kW charge point installed as they're now getting more and more visitors with EVs.

We've just done something similar, nearly 2000 miles in a week :oops:- used Tesla's as the main goto (plenty of capacity and cheapest - I took out a month subscription for ~£10 for 25% off) and infilled with CPS (with RFID card). No issues at all.

IMG_5452.PNG
IMG_5453.PNG
IMG_5345 (1).jpeg

If you’re around Oban and looking for fabulous B&B accommodation try the “Aspen Lodge” on Glen Cruitten Road. 👌

Oh, on the subject of free chargers ... we were on Arran a few months ago and I used the charger at Brodick Harbour; turns out it was free. :) (The one further along the road in Brodick itself costs money).

Scotland is quite well served with chargers and apart from some moonscape areas in the central belt the scenery is pretty good anywhere you go. A lot of people just scorch up the M74 without looking left or right, bypassing the Borders completely, but that is a mistake in my opinion.

Member @QLeo lives on the North Coast 500 and charges exclusively on public chargers, so he would be a good person to ask about that.

I’m currently sitting in my five looking out in the sunshine over loch Earn from St Fillans. The sky is glorious blue, a breeze is rippling the water and I’m surrounded by approximately fifty brilliantly coloured MG fours intent on stealing my easy peel orange.
Oh hang on, correction, they’re actually 🦆 but from the rear view. It’s an easy mistake 🤣🤣

I’m currently sitting in my five looking out in the sunshine over loch Earn from St Fillans. The sky is glorious blue, a breeze is rippling the water and I’m surrounded by approximately fifty brilliantly coloured MG fours intent on stealing my easy peel orange.
Oh hang on, correction, they’re actually 🦆 but from the rear view. It’s an easy mistake 🤣🤣
See what I’m confronted with.

Attachments

• IMG_0369.jpeg
    IMG_0369.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0367.jpeg
    IMG_0367.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 22

Where are you finding sunshine? I'm currently sitting in my living room looking out at sleet falling at a 45º angle.

The better weather is heading in from the west. It's just starting to brighten up a bit here. :)

Where are you finding sunshine? I'm currently sitting in my living room looking out at sleet falling at a 45º angle.
My first thought was to head to the “Wishing Tree by the Sea” cafe in Dunbar but my steering accuracy was a bit flawed - luckily then 🤪
I had some fine veg soup and a date and banana scone with a coffee - delish 👌

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 514 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel