MG4 Sat nav getting lost & freezing

nelliekins

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Ok, so the satnav appears to be completely useless... Sometimes it is spot on with my location, but on occasion it has been as far as 40 MILES away from where I actually am. An example - a week ago it insisted I was at home in Chorley, when I was actually in Leeds. Wrong COUNTY let alone city 🤦

Even when it is working, the satnav often freezes for several miles at a time. Making it worse than useless, because you miss the junction you need half the time!

Can't even use Android Auto because the USB ports don't work.

Have told the dealer I expect the issues fixed in the next week or two, or I am going to reject the vehicle and have my money back.

Anyone else got problems with satnav or usb ports?

Ok, so the satnav appears to be completely useless... Sometimes it is spot on with my location, but on occasion it has been as far as 40 MILES away from where I actually am. An example - a week ago it insisted I was at home in Chorley, when I was actually in Leeds. Wrong COUNTY let alone city 🤦

Even when it is working, the satnav often freezes for several miles at a time. Making it worse than useless, because you miss the junction you need half the time!

Can't even use Android Auto because the USB ports don't work.

Have told the dealer I expect the issues fixed in the next week or two, or I am going to reject the vehicle and have my money back.

Anyone else got problems with satnav or usb ports?
Are you on the integrated MG4 system, or using apple car play / android?

.... if its the later, then i noticed something similar, but it wasnt to do with the car, it was to do with the phone settings (and enabling location settings)

..... let us know what car you have?

Are you on the integrated MG4 system, or using apple car play / android?

.... if its the later, then i noticed something similar, but it wasnt to do with the car, it was to do with the phone settings (and enabling location settings)

..... let us know what car you have?
Already stated that Android auto not working so is the integrated sat nav.

Already stated that Android auto not working so is the integrated sat nav.
... in that case I'll leave it to others, as I have the cheap version (non integrated sat nav.) - but did have loads of issues in getting the car to connect to an iphone (cable issue in the end)

... in that case I'll leave it to others, as I have the cheap version (non integrated sat nav.) - but did have loads of issues in getting the car to connect to an iphone (cable issue in the end)
... or what I should more correctly state, not available to myself, as the car clearly does have an integrated satnav (as it tells me where it is via the app) - I have the 25,995 version + the extra for paint (Ive forgotten what SE means)

Hi. It's the Trophy, picked up on 16/11/22.

It's had other issues along the way, like:

• charging stops if you use the app
  • charging stops if you unlock the car
  • charging stops if you open the boot
  • centre infotainment screen has failed twice (once was for an hour, once was for 2 days)
  • app doesn't work most of the time and once thought the car had made a sojourn to Poland while I slept.

Not a bad collection for the first month of ownership eh!!

Have tried a total of 7 known good cables in the 3 USB ports. None charge. None provide Android Auto.

• centre infotainment screen has failed twice (once was for an hour, once was for 2 days)
  • app doesn't work most of the time and once thought the car had made a sojourn to Poland while I slept.

Charging stopping if you unlock the car is normal and will recommence after a period of time as how else are you going to unplug the car?

Charging stopping if you unlock the car is normal and will recommence after a period of time as how else are you going to unplug the car?
It doesn't restart on mine. Have tried leaving it unlocked, and locking it. The only way to recommence is to press "start" on the charging panel again. Which requires you to sit in the driver's seat to wake the car up.

It doesn't restart on mine. Have tried leaving it unlocked, and locking it. The only way to recommence is to press "start" on the charging panel again. Which requires you to sit in the driver's seat to wake the car up.
Hmm that's odd we have a ZS EV MK1 and the MG4 both restart the charge even when open after about 20-30seconds.

What charger are you using

Have tried a total of 7 known good cables in the 3 USB ports. None charge. None provide Android Auto.
The USB C is power only. Only the USB A port is a data port and you need a data cable not a charging only cable. Also make sure the phone's USB port is clean and you have enabled data transfer in the phone settings.

The USB C is power only. Only the USB A port is a data port and you need a data cable not a charging only cable. Also make sure the phone's USB port is clean and you have enabled data transfer in the phone settings.
The USB ports are all no connection and no power on anything plugged into them.

'Nothing's perfect' will soon be the catchcry of all MG dealerships.

I successfully played media from a USB thumb drive in the USB-C socket

I've had 1 instance where the satnav decided I was around 500 m away from where we actually were, been ok other than that one case.
Android Auto has to use the front usb a port if that does help though sounds like you've tried them all, the usb c can play media, in addition to a very low power output (not enough to charge some phones including my pixel).
I can happily monitor charging from the app.
Unlocking does pause charging as said above it restarts soon after.

Same here, Android Auto not working well, MG satnav freezing (only video, audio is fine), and have to go out and back in. Also it's not able to properly switch between light and dark mode (both AA and satnav).
So many wrong things with this car

Vague SatNav, oil leaks, software and media issues, drive settings not retained, phone charging issues, weird USB ports, charging problems etc. Has anyone received their new car without these issues or had them all sorted by dealers and are now happy with everything?
All of this technology has been around for many years and I have never heard of so many complaints with a new EV or ICE vehicle in this regard.
I know every new model has teething problems but surely not to this extent.

Vague SatNav, oil leaks, software and media issues, drive settings not retained, phone charging issues, weird USB ports, charging problems etc. Has anyone received their new car without these issues or had them all sorted by dealers and are now happy with everything?
I know every new model has teething problems but surely not to this extent.
Only the leak was sorted on mine, all the other long list of issues are still there with no ETA on the resolution (well, the ETA for me will probably be the time to get a different car :ROFLMAO:)

Well after a lot of back and forth, I ended up rejecting the MG4. The dealer made it awkward for a few days and then capitulated, even giving me back my part exchange (an AMG A35). They'd had the cheek to put finance on it too!

After getting that sorted (more palaver) I finally traded the AMG in again, this time for a Model 3 Performance AWD. Managed to get a 2nd hand car still in Tesla warranty as a straight swap!

Having driven the Tesla for 4 days, I can't see why I would ever consider an MG again. The car was shoddy, the dealers untrained and uninterested in helping, and the alternatives are simply better in every respect.

Good luck, all of you. Hopefully your cars aren't as ropey as mine was!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back