MG4 SE Charging Cable

arbhatti77

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I received my MG4 SE version yesterday and today i charged it at work with the cable that came with the car. The charging speed was max 3.4 KW while other cars were charging at 7-10 KW. is it possible to charge MG4 SE version at a higher speed by changing the cable i have or the MG4 SE cannot do more than 3.4 KW ? I checked online there are many different type 2 cables available (3.4, 7, 11 22 KW, single/three phase and 16/32 Amps) and i am not sure which one i should buy if it would help

Thanks for your help in advance

#1 click on the Battery tile on the car's Infotainment and ensure the Charging Current is set to Maximum

#2 What type of charge point were you connected to? If it was a 3-phase 11kW one then 3.4kW is probably about right

#3 I'm assuming the cable that came with the car was a Type 2 32A cable (it'll be marked on it) ... if it's a 16A cable then again 3.4kW is about right

Even with a 7.4kW single phase charger you will only see 6.5 kW at most due to losses.
If other cars are charging at 7kW or above, it seems it’s a 3phase 11kW charger.

#1 click on the Battery tile on the car's Infotainment and ensure the Charging Current is set to Maximum

#2 What type of charge point were you connected to? If it was a 3-phase 11kW one then 3.4kW is probably about right

#3 I'm assuming the cable that came with the car was a Type 2 32A cable (it'll be marked on it) ... if it's a 16A cable then again 3.4kW is about right
#1 The infotainment is set to Maximum power
# 2 I am not sure, cannot tell from the look of it, there is no information on the charging point. Can you explain why a three phase charging point would charge at 3.4 KW, all public chargers are 3 phase so that would mean it will always be limiting ?
# 3 The sticker on the cable reads 2080-2090-32-XC3, so i think its 32 A

#2 there should be information somewhere as to what charging rate that specific charge point offers. Maybe on the charge point app, or Zap Map or similar. If it's an 11kW point then that's 3-phase, but only 16A maximum per phase hence a single phase cable will only receive 16A maximum (or about 3.4kW). If it's a 22kW point then that's 3-phase 32A per phase, so maximum of 7kW (or about 6.6kW for the MG4).

Looking online at that part number
2080-2090-32-XC3
Comes up with this website
http://www.uchen.com.cn/en/productsd.php?tid=63&pid=145

Which suggests if I'm reading it correctly that you have a 3 phase 32A cable. Webite states "Charging mode 3 connection" which I'm taking to mean 3 phase. You should be able to get a higher charge rate than you have, but it may be the charger at work is limited in some way (maybe sharing power with other chargers.

I would suggest testing with another cable (ask to borrow one from a colleague to test) or try another charger.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back