MG4 SE LR Fast Charging - Percentage error

GaftheHorse

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hi,
I have two kids at Uni, one in Coventry and one in Sheffield. As we live in the New Forest I therefore spend a lot of time driving up and down the A34/M40/M1. I use the Banbury Instavolt a fair bit, and generally I get around 80kW max speed from them. More recently I've tried the new Gridserve fast chargers at Cherwell valley. Here I was getting a max of around 130kW. However the EV charger, the car and my app all seemed to stop at around 60%. I left the car plugged in for a while longer, then disconnected and drove off. It seems that the car was misreporting the percentage as I drove for about 30 miles without any change in percentage or mileage then it suddenly started counting down as normal again. I have also tried the Gridserve fast chargers at the M6 Rugby services and had the same experience, albeit it stopped at 85% this time.
Has anyone else had this issue with fast chargers? My car was one of the first batch in October 2022, and it has a few "features"/"teething problems" that might have been ironed out by now.

Yes, I've had this happen once after using a fast charger. Battery percentage was not changing despite driving for many miles. I then plugged into a slow charger to test, and it reset the percentage to correct level. Been fine since. Have used both fast and slow chargers since, and not seen it occur again.

LIke you, I had used a different brand of fast charger to who I usually use. I also use Instavolt usually, and find them reliable.

I assume you had the charging level set to 100% to delay any dropoff in charging rate as it approached the set level.
Yep, generally leave it at 100% and charge to around 85% on fast chargers.

Yes, I've had this happen once after using a fast charger. Battery percentage was not changing despite driving for many miles. I then plugged into a slow charger to test, and it reset the percentage to correct level. Been fine since. Have used both fast and slow chargers since, and not seen it occur again.

LIke you, I had used a different brand of fast charger to who I usually use. I also use Instavolt usually, and find them reliable.
Thanks, glad to see it isn't just me. I'll mention it to the dealer next time it goes in, see what they say.

The charger display should tell you what charge has been supplied. You could estimate a percentage increase to see if the %'age increase was correct. Or you could try starting a new charge and see what happens.

Know your route well. I've used the new Gridserve chargers at Watford Gap. Excellent, my new stopping place.

Can I use the Tesla chargers? Aren't they locked out to all but Teslas?
Currently, around 30 of Tesla sites are open to all EVs. More are being built all the time.
You'll need the Tesla app (and an account/payment card on it) to start the charge.

(Pic from Zap-Map - Filter for "Telsa Public Superchargers")

Tesla public superchargers.png

I used that Tesla site just east of Glasgow about ten days ago and it was great. I had the app already set up on my phone, and the car connected and started charging within a few seconds.

I think the charger I used at Eurocentral was one of the old ones. No screen and no card reader. But it worked fine for me with the app.
Yep. Eurocentral is on the map I posted above.
The app is needed for "open" superchargers with the hole in the middle.
The new V4 ones have swapped the hole for a card reader & touchscreen.

I was really questioning @WonkoTheSaneUK's assertion that only Teslas can use the old-style ones. I think anyone can, if they're open, and they've downloaded and registered a card on the app. We don't need to wait for V4 units to be able to use the chargers, if they'll let us!

I was really questioning @WonkoTheSaneUK's assertion that only Teslas can use the old-style ones. I think anyone can, if they're open, and they've downloaded and registered a card on the app. We don't need to wait for V4 units to be able to use the chargers, if they'll let us!
I never said that all old-style chargers were Tesla-only.
I said that only some of those (30-ish of over 100 sites) were open to all, with the app required to use them.
I was pointing out that all sites with the newer chargers are open to any EV from day one.

To clarify:-
If the Superchargers look like this, you'll need the app, and for Tesla to have opened the site to all users. (see map above)
Tesla-Supercharger-Strategy-Puts-Automakers-In-Bind-Business-1383560058.jpg

Sites with these ones will be open to all from day one. The chargers have built-in card readers, touchscreens, and slightly longer cables (but also accept input from the app).
tesla-supercharger-v4-niederlande-netherlands-min-1400x700.png

Last edited:
Tebay southbound only has Tesla chargers, it's a pain in the backside frankly. It was the scene of the famous "queueing Teslas" incident last Christmas Eve, which Tesla attributed to the chargers there being old and slow. They were upgraded this summer, and Tesla do not anticipate a re-run of the queues this year. But they still won't let the hoi polloi near Tebay.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back