Considering the MG4's seats, I am...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PristDean

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
This is very subjective I know, everyone is different, however, after 4.5k miles in my car I have found the seats not particularly comfortable. The thigh support is short and the fabric used coupled with the foam within the seats can make for a less than supportive experience. A YouTube video of a test drive brings this up too at 8:45.

So, I ordered some covers from Ali Express. After installing these, In my experience I have noticed a good improvement in, general overall comfort, support (the seats now seem to hold me in place better), general ride quality as the fabric and foam no longer have the direct effects they did.

As a note, I am of standard build, height and weight, if anything fairly well toned and I don't drive like a boy racer.

So, I think a quick poll on seating quality for the MG4 may be interesting.

PXL_20231026_114123110.jpg
PXL_20231026_114339119.jpg

Please tell me how you managed to get the rear seat bench back in place after fitting your cover. I couldn't do it and my local garage couldn't do it and my dealer managed to break something when they tried. They finally got it done yesterday, but I'm now trying to forget what they charged me for it.

Iffy poll because there are models with different seats. I'm happy with the XPower seats but any other model I probably wouldn't have ordered the car based on the materials.

Please tell me how you managed to get the rear seat bench back in place after fitting your cover. I couldn't do it and my local garage couldn't do it and my dealer managed to break something when they tried. They finally got it done yesterday, but I'm now trying to forget what they charged me for it.
There are two support bars which stick out from the bodywork, these are intended to provide seat support and positional alignment. However the covers do not take that into consideration and foul them, which causes the seat to not move back far enough when re-installed and hence the securing clips at the front of the bench do not align with the securing holes. The solution is to cut the covers (hang down behind the seat) just enough to allow the support bars to slide under the seat. No detrimental effect on the end result.
Also ensuring alignment of the covers to ensure no padded seating is overhanging below (towards the floor, foot well) which distances, by raising, the securing clips in the seats from the securing holes. Once done, the clips should align (check by hand) and with some downward force, attach.

There are two support bars which stick out from the bodywork, these are intended to provide seat support and positional alignment. However the covers do not take that into consideration and foul them, which causes the seat to not move back far enough when re-installed and hence the securing clips at the front of the bench do not align with the securing holes. The solution is to cut the covers (hang down behind the seat) just enough to allow the support bars to slide under the seat. No detrimental effect on the end result.
Also ensuring alignment of the covers to ensure no padded seating is overhanging below (towards the floor, foot well) which distances, by raising, the securing clips in the seats from the securing holes. Once done, the clips should align (check by hand) and with some downward force, attach.

Excellent advice, which I wish someone had given me rather earlier!

However, now that I have that advice, I'll be less scared if I want to change the covers for any reason. Very grateful.

Iffy poll because there are models with different seats. I'm happy with the XPower seats but any other model I probably wouldn't have ordered the car based on the materials.

I don't have any problem with the seats. I only put the covers on to protect them, and also to lighten up the interior of the car. (I have beige covers.)

I find the seats in my SE (cloth) to be fine. If they had some lumbar support adjustment they'd be better, but as it is I find them comfortable enough even for longer journeys. (I'm also just over the 4.5k miles mark).

Black Alcantara with 'leather' bolsters. Holds you in much better from my experience. It's also a much more expensive material - of course not as hard wearing.

Also not all models get electrically adjustable seats.
Ah yes, Alcantara is much better than the standard fabric used in most MG4s and as you say will hold you better I found the standard fabric not very supportive at all.

That's interesting. I had Alcantara in my Peugeot, and liked it, but went for the cloth seats in my Golf in preference to leather (that would have been actual leather that once went moo). I actually liked the way the cloth seats in the SE let me slide in and out of the car and I was concerned that the leatherette of the covers might be too tacky. But I don't mind it. I'm particularly keen not to have the right-hand shoulder side of the driver's seat wear away, as it did on both the Peugeot and the Golf. The Golf fabric was just worn, but the leather of the Peugeot (it was leather at that point, the Alcantara was an inset) went right through in the time between me registering the car for the scrappage scheme and my Golf being delivered.

I'm just over 9,500 miles in on my Trophy and can't fault the comfort of the seats, have done several long journeys (5+ hour driving time) without feeling any discomfort. The drivers seat does "creak" a little, it would be good to resolve that but not a problem if not.

I find the seats soft but surprisingly comfortable.

I had to let go of my expectations - previously I have had a lot of VAG cars and their seats were always rock hard - because I initially interpreted soft as "not enough support".

Could they be better? Yes, adjustable lumbar support would be even better. But I don't have a problem on long drives.

I do wish though that manufacturers just copied old Saabs, because theirs were amazing.

As a lanky owner my slight problem is with the seat pad height relative to the floor height which because the battery raises the floor height compared to many of my previous cars changes the muscle memory that I,ve built up over many years. This with an aging body shell means aches and pains are more prevalent . Also with the seat full back , which also lowers the seat, getting out means crashing ungracefully into the door pillar whilst trying to step out over the extended cills. I,m going to appeal for help and ask if anyone can recommend a concoction of pills or potions , start with the legal ones, to alleviate these symptoms.

That's interesting. I had Alcantara in my Peugeot, and liked it, but went for the cloth seats in my Golf in preference to leather (that would have been actual leather that once went moo). I actually liked the way the cloth seats in the SE let me slide in and out of the car and I was concerned that the leatherette of the covers might be too tacky. But I don't mind it. I'm particularly keen not to have the right-hand shoulder side of the driver's seat wear away, as it did on both the Peugeot and the Golf. The Golf fabric was just worn, but the leather of the Peugeot (it was leather at that point, the Alcantara was an inset) went right through in the time between me registering the car for the scrappage scheme and my Golf being delivered.
I've had it in a 206 GTi, a Clio 172, and in a MINI with the JCW seats. Never managed to wear any out.

It's 100% the way to go for cars where you might have some lateral G-forces. I've had a few cars with full leather and they're just a nightmare - I don't think it's a luxury feature any way. Look at carriages back in the day, the driver sat on leather outside, the people riding inside had high quality fabrics.

And again, that's why in both of my convertibles have leather, it's not totally ruined if weather gets to it a little bit.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel