MG4 sell now or later ?

Dan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Good evening All,

I’ve pre-ordered a Volvo EX30 and as long as it test drives nice I feel it’s worth the upgrade over my MG4 SE.

Now I do like my MG4, but don’t love it. Having a look at autotrader and the used prices of MG’s is worrying me. I don’t know if to sell now and potentially get £21k for my MG4 ( from motorway.co.uk ) or risk keeping it until the Volvo arrives in 8-10months time when it could be worth as little as £16k if the used MG ZS’s are anything to go by.

Thoughts ? ( it would be good if I could test drive the EX30 to confirm my choice, but that’s not doing to happen for months )

Definitely a step up in quality but a smaller car, as has been said

My thoughts in no particular order.

If you sell the MG4 now can you manage without a replacement for possibly 18+ months?

You've already taken the biggest hit in the devaluation of your car and if fuel prices go up or the tanker drivers go on strike EV's will be in demand again.

Until you've gone for a test drive and as it's a smaller car are you sure it's comfortable and meets your needs?

If Volvo are using the same systems as Polestar they aren't without problems.

Test drives….how 90s….. 😜
You know the Volvo is going to drive fine, it just will. 🤷‍♂️
You know it will be comfy, they make the best seats in the business.
So no worries there.
I’d get rid now if you can.

If you sell the MG4 now can you manage without a replacement for possibly 18+ months?

You've already taken the biggest hit in the devaluation of your car and if fuel prices go up or the tanker drivers go on strike EV's will be in demand again.

Until you've gone for a test drive and as it's a smaller car are you sure it's comfortable and meets your needs?

Wise stuff there, I think I’m just flapping slightly as I’ve never outright owned a new car before and had to worry about depreciation ( I’ve always had cheap leases - remember when they were a thing ! Or secondhand cars that are worth a a few grand so didn’t really deprecate much )

The situation with electric cars is similar that with computers some years ago. As soon as you buy one something better comes along. I think we have to take the plunge and reconcile ourselves to hanging our nose over the fence
Yep I feel that’s a good example, we have solid state batteries around the corner and I’m sure heat pumps will be standard on all EV’s for greater efficiency ( they should be anyhow )

I’ll have to see how Volvo is in person ( Demo aiming to be available in December/ Jan is what I’ve just heard off Volvo support ) and go with my gut instinct, I think her indoors will absolutely be made up with the volvo.

The situation with electric cars is similar that with computers some years ago. As soon as you buy one something better comes along. I think we have to take the plunge and reconcile ourselves to hanging our nose over the fence
I agree. I'm sure there will be lots of tempting cars coming along in the next few years. I decided that the MG would do everything I needed. Our other car is a 12 year old Peugeot bought simply because we needed 6 seats. It doesn't have many (any?) bells or whistles but I never think about that as it does what I want even though more modern 7 seaters are probably much better. I'm treating the MG in the same way - it does what I need.

I have to agree with Ian the second hand market seen to have a big drop on new EV but is it a steady market price.

Always a bad idea to drive the newly launched model on the road(except you had exclusivity for being rare), you paid top dollar and get bottom trade in for the privilege!
I would say you wait for the EX30 been on sale for a few months after it’s first delivery to customers, chances are the Volvo would also be discounting them, so in theory you wouldn’t be losing as much on your MG.
And hopefully after you seen the car a few more times on the road and you lose the novelty of wanting one , you decided to save the money and keep the MG instead🤣

Last edited:
There is a video review in the ex30 thread in the general chat forum, the reviewer is 6ft 1 and the rear space is cramped.
As has been said the boot is a fair bit smaller

Who are these people who care about the comfort of a 6’1” person in the back of their car….?
Aside from taxi drivers.

I'm one....
...and before you say anything I mean I care about the comfort of 6'1"
I'm 6'2", my brother is 6'1" and a couple of my friends are both 6'+. it also give an indication of how deep the boot is with the rear seats folded down.

Who are these people who care about the comfort of a 6’1” person in the back of their car….?
Aside from taxi drivers.
I regularly have people in the back of my car who are over six foot tall (both my sons are)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back