MG4 Should I get one? What’s the consensus from owners and those waiting?

Shall I, Shan't I , debate is down to personal choice, some of the reason I have seen for not buying are puzzling beyond belief, but it is their money and if / when they change their mind the car price will have gone up, and if they have a trade in price will have gone down. The issues are well known, and unlike some of the overpriced badges who would deny all these issues and bury their head in the sand, all credit to MG people are reporting that software updates are coming in, OK they are at different levels in different parts of the country, the key is they are doing something about it. So we will take ours when it hopefully arrives next month, work around the remaining issues till the fixes arrive and pester the dealer weekly :)

Hi there,
I’m not that regular on these forums as I was, since selling my ZS. I still pop in now and then as it’s a great forum!

My Daughter likes the MG4 in orange colour and we are seriously thinking of ordering. We’ve been told about 16 weeks wait.

There’s loads of great posts about the MG4 and I’ve tried to read through most of them, but I thought that I would ask some direct questions to you learned folk!

1/Are there any purchase deals of any sort out there? Even service packs perhaps or some other sweeteners? I’ve been offered £340 off so far!

2/Lots of posts on here about issues, what are the top 3 that I should look for please before taking ownership? Anything really major? How are we finding getting them sorted? I didn‘t have a great MG experience when dealing with issues I’m afraid.

3/Any regrets about your MG4 purchase and if so why?

4/One of my biggest gripes with previous MG ownership was the dealers! Sorry, but I found them lacking. MG customer service also did not impress. Any strong recommendations on a dealer? I’m not too fussed where in the UK I purchase from, but would like to choose a dealership that has proven to look after customers well, and therefore deserves the business.

5/Is the build quality up to your expectations? I found my ZS to be adequate for the price and where the make sits in the market.

Finally, anything else by way of buying advice would be much appreciated !

Thank you all,
Stay warm!
Had mine a week, in red. Initially wanted an orange one but saw one in the flesh and its luminous!! Not for me....
Prices seem the same everywhere.
My dealer in Cardiff, Nathaniel cars has been great.
Build? Hmmm, I part exchanged a Lexus UX takumi so I notice a firmer ride and potholes judder.
However pleased with mine.

I'm afraid with the problems so far reported, taken with the dealers rectifying the same has led me to decide to postpone the move from my 6year old diesel Tucson (which has been trouble free, ) to an EV ,while the ride in the MG4 is excellent, there's not much point having it in the dealers workshop for much of the time.

There’s no need to postpone your move to an EV, just not the 4 if it’s making you nervous.
If you went for a Leaf, for example, you’d probably be trouble free and love EVs.

Last edited:
Had mine a week, in red. Initially wanted an orange one but saw one in the flesh and its luminous!! Not for me....
Build? Hmmm, I part exchanged a Lexus UX takumi so I notice a firmer ride and potholes judder.
I got my ZS EV from Nathaniel’s Cardiff and they’ve always been great with me.

The advert and pictures do look nicer than the in person for the orange. I'd probably have gone red if I'd seen one in person. That being said, I do like the orange and I think orange with black is very complimentary

Brighter colours seem to be gaining popularity. Probably people trying to cheer themselves up!

I’ve had my trophy for 3 weeks now and we are wishing we had bought the leaf. The trophy is a lovely car but ruined by a couple of tech features for us which just don’t work. If you are using it to nip to the shops and town driving, it’s a great car. But we are not enjoying it for motorway driving. There is a really annoying feature on the trophy- driving monitoring. It is way too sensitive and just doesn’t work correctly. If you check your blind spot or check what speed you are going it audibly beeps and tells you to focus on driving. You can turn off the beep but not the alert notice. They say you can turn it off before each journey but if your speed drops below 37mph and then increases it goes back on. God it is so annoying. I contacted the dealership and they say it is a known problem but mg aren’t planning on fixing it. The garage said they try to turn it off before test drives- a bit disingenuous.

The lane keep assist is so dangerous. It does not work correctly. It sometimes can’t detect the lane lines in dark or wet conditions and on several conditions it has forceably steered me almost into a ditch. So dangerous.

The trophy headlights are not very bright and don’t project very far- but this might be a fault on our car.

In summary, the driving monitoring system completely ruins the car for us.

I do wonder how many 4 owners are newbies and how many, like me, are experienced.
There’s no denying many newbies suffering 4 issues could tar all EVs with the 4 brush and it could set the EV revolution back and that’s a bad thing.
I know the problems I’m having aren’t EV specific, they’re 4 specific.

My thoughts after 1,000 miles driving my MG4 Trophy, including some longer trips. We also own a ZS Trophy Long Range and have owned a Gen 1 ZS EV and an MG5, so we have some experience with MG EV's. Have also owned a Hyundai Ioniq EV, a BMW i3 and had use of a Tesla Model 3 Performance for about 3 months:

• There are a few software glitches that need ironing out, which I was expecting for a brand new car on a new platform. No showstoppers though, just annoyances until they are fixed with software updates e.g. drowsiness monitor, satnav, lane keeping, traffic jam assist, integration of Android Auto and inbuilt car features.
  • Build quality pretty good, exceeds my expectations for the price paid. A few minor trim items not 100% but good enough e.g. seat trim fit and finish
  • No evidence of oil leak and a slightly ill-fitting undertray but nothing to worry about
  • Car drives very well, better than any other EV I have owned or driven
  • Economy is average so far, meeting my expectations but not exceeding them. I'd say it currently consumes electric at a similar rate to our ZS in this cold spell
  • I find the car feels spacious despite some of the reviews that say it feel small
  • Seat comfort and driving experience is good. I did a round trip of about 9 hours recently, largely on the motorway, and I didn't feel any more fatigued than I would have done in other EV's we've owned.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and I am sure it will improve as the glitches get sorted by MG.

I’ve had my trophy for 3 weeks now and we are wishing we had bought the leaf. The trophy is a lovely car but ruined by a couple of tech features for us which just don’t work. If you are using it to nip to the shops and town driving, it’s a great car. But we are not enjoying it for motorway driving. There is a really annoying feature on the trophy- driving monitoring. It is way too sensitive and just doesn’t work correctly. If you check your blind spot or check what speed you are going it audibly beeps and tells you to focus on driving. You can turn off the beep but not the alert notice. They say you can turn it off before each journey but if your speed drops below 37mph and then increases it goes back on. God it is so annoying. I contacted the dealership and they say it is a known problem but mg aren’t planning on fixing it. The garage said they try to turn it off before test drives- a bit disingenuous.

The lane keep assist is so dangerous. It does not work correctly. It sometimes can’t detect the lane lines in dark or wet conditions and on several conditions it has forceably steered me almost into a ditch. So dangerous.

The trophy headlights are not very bright and don’t project very far- but this might be a fault on our car.

Sounds like your dealer hasn't done all the software updates and is fobbing you off.
As far as I know MG have fixed the driver's alert sensor problem with a software update and there is another update that reduces the sensitivity of the LKA.
Others have reported the headlights just need adjusting.

On a positive note. We did our first long drive- 3 hours and had plenty of charge when we got there. So the range on the trophy is excellent. I just really wish they would fix some of the tech glitches

Sounds like you don't have the very early update for driver monitoring that stopped it being this intrusive. I would be looking to get that corrected by your dealership.
On LKA have you tried setting it to alert only with low sensitivity, that seems to stick and removes the most discerning elements of it.

Sounds like you don't have the very early update for driver monitoring that stopped it being this intrusive. I would be looking to get that corrected by your dealership.
On LKA have you tried setting it to alert only with low sensitivity, that seems to stick and removes the most discerning elements of it.
So I asked the dealership about the update and they are just useless. Don’t know anything. Lane keep assist is on the lowest setting possible. I’ve had to turn it off as it is super dangerous when taking an exit road on motorway as it gets confused when the exit goes to two lanes. Tried to steer you into the middle of the two lanes!

So I asked the dealership about the update and they are just useless. Don’t know anything. Lane keep assist is on the lowest setting possible. I’ve had to turn it off as it is super dangerous when taking an exit road on motorway as it gets confused when the exit goes to two lanes. Tried to steer you into the middle of the two lanes!

If they don’t know, it’s up to you to be forceful and tell them there’s an update.
Someone on here will undoubtedly know the bulletin/software number to give them too.

If they don’t know, it’s up to you to be forceful and tell them there’s an update.
Someone on here will undoubtedly know the bulletin/software number to give them too.
Of anyone does know the details of the update that would be helpful. As I’ve told them there is an update and even emailed mg support for info about it and they just tell me there isn’t one at the moment

I think your view is very similar to that of not only many on the forum looking for insights but my own.

#Before anyone thinks, to type the forum immortal phrases of
"oh here we go, another moan about niggles",
"its a new platform, things should not be expected to be perfect"
or
"why do people post on a forum for a vehicle they don't own"
or
"well my car has been perfect"

Each forum member is empowered to share their experience's and thoughts, that is what makes these places so powerful, and a resource car manufacturers and dealerships ignore at their peril. So, please feel free to read, or not to read the following, but before you type, engage brain and be:
Mindful
Respectful
Open minded enough to counter any confirmation bias you may be experiencing

@Leni16 I too test drove the MG4 (it was a LR SE) on the 01st October, I loved the drive, didn't like that it had no rear view camera or heated seats, and lane assist was dangerous and turned itself back on each restart, but I ordered and placed my £250 deposit on a White Trophy.
I was told it would be around 12 weeks, e.g. by Christmas Eve, (however it is still TBA on the MG Dealer info page. so likely delivery perhaps Jan Feb 2023? Who knows) but waiting times and delays are to be expected for any car order (EV or ICE)

I then joined this forum to expand my knowledge of the vehicle, and to fully understand what owners of the early deliveries were finding out, any niggles, and tips I should look out for come my own delivery day.

To be fair, we have owned a VW ID.3 since Dec 2021, so I know EV's are not perfect and glitches and recalls abound, but I think the MG4 is now entering a level where I am no longer confident in it.

I know, we all suffer from confirmation bias, and people are way more likely to post a negative rather than sing a positive, I fully understand that, but some of the issues of late have been very significant.
In no particular order, I have read each thread and thought about what I would do if I had a car which exhibited these faults, imagined the stress and inconvenience and its when you "walk a mile in their shoes" that you start to think, why should we accept this at all.

Oil leak -
New ground has ben broken here, even for an ICE car, where many more moving parts and more opportunities for leaks may indeed exist, for a new EV to have it I was surprised.
I was even more surprised with MG's reaction, initial denials, then will only rectify & retro fit the fix if you experience the problem. Well, sorry, no, it should be a redesign not a botched job and ALL vehicles sold to date should be inspected and rectified. Furthermore, all deliveries post November 2022 should not have a car which has not had this corrected. Perhaps if a recall for this issue had manifest then as a consumer and user base / community, we would have had more confidence in the brand and the vehicle. The face it has been handled so shabbily erodes confidence in the brand, the vehicle and the competence of each and every dealership

Locked in (key issues) -
This one I find almost incomprehensible, that a brand new to market car has not been tested to the extent that this issue was not picked up. The fact it has escalated to a RECALL is one positive to be thankful of.
I wonder if the Oil leak should have been escalated to the same degree (I know this is more user impactful and potentially dangerous, hence its escalation,) but so could mechanical failure of the motor be impactful?

Restricted speed (Loss of Power) -
May be model specific, e.g. related only to SR-SE models, who knows, but a vehicle which fails to accelerate when merging onto fast moving traffic flow, for no apparent reason, whilst the SOC is more than 40%, and all other potential options are not engaged (ECO plus modes) it can put your life in danger and thus far I don't think it has been investigated or evaluated enough by MG.

Under Tray Dip/Bulge-
Ok, it may look cosmetic, but it serves a purpose, and the instance of a forum member hitting standing water and ripping part of it off, is exactly what was feared may happen. It is "not a design feature" is it a fault and one which may hinder efficiency and increase noise at speed, and lets not forget, its there to protect the lower most components, if open to the elements, it is not doing its function.

Partial deployment of Driver Airbag -
This one, is a poor reflection of build quality and if more of these instances come to light (as more and more units are in the field -With higher frequency, we should expect to observe more opportunities to fail) on a super critical item such as the driver's steering wheel airbag, then the rest of the issues just simply fade into the "also ran" category.

The Quality Also-Ran category:

Software glitches - these happen on all modern vehicles, and will continue to, as long as the MG dealer network learns how to install them correctly and regular updates are created and cascaded it should be an iterative loop of continuous improvement

Wheel balancing (or lack of it) -
A simple one but rumbles and vibrations on a new vehicle would not be expected. Simple wheel balancing I mean, come on guys, its simple.

Dead car - 12V Battery -
Perhaps the incorrect specification of a 12V battery could be to blame, perhaps the low temps (not anticipated) could be to blame, who knows.

Heater / Air conditioning - Incorrectly calibrated controls (no heat until 28 Deg C?) We also have instances of the wrong privacy glass for model spec being used, what is to say in some units they have the incorrect or worse, none fitted PTC heater elements. If the heater controls do not generate heat perhaps this is not down to software alone, perhaps they are missing components (I jest, partly, but would you put it past them to miss stuff out ? :D)

So, not an exhaustive list, as I am not trying to paint the ultimate negative picture, I'm really not, but all excuses aside, it isn't good enough, no matter how much of a value proposition the car may be, if it spends most of its life at the dealership or dripping oil on your drive, it fails to operate as expected on any aspect of user expectations, if bits break of fall off, is it really a bargain or a false economy which continually plays on the mind.

I know there is a lot to unpack here, mostly because it has been playing on my mind of late, and as we know we don't have concrete number of cars on the road Vs number of issues and it must be stressed, I have yet to reach a final decision about my order, I will wait for a delivery date and visually inspect the car before making any decision, but week by week as the issues encountered rise, the confidence in the vehicle drops.
Goodness me.
Having read this, I am starting to have second thoughts about acquiring an MG4.
My current car is a Ford Fiesta Vignale and I both love the car and love driving it. And although it has been largely trouble free, it is approaching 5 years old. It is currently worth over £11,000 and I am thinking it best to sell it and use the money to fund the leasing.
The MG4 is not likely to be available for at least 3 months and so I would hope that all of these issues would be sorted out??

What is a granny?
A granny or “granny cable” is a three pin electric vehicle charging cable that can be plugged into a socket in your garage or house. It’s not recommended to use it for lengthy periods due to overheating and is also a lot slower at charging your car, but can be useful if you don’t have a 7kwh home charger installed such as a Zappi or Podpoint.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back