MG4 Should I get one? What’s the consensus from owners and those waiting?

Cocijo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I’m not that regular on these forums as I was, since selling my ZS. I still pop in now and then as it’s a great forum!

My Daughter likes the MG4 in orange colour and we are seriously thinking of ordering. We’ve been told about 16 weeks wait.

There’s loads of great posts about the MG4 and I’ve tried to read through most of them, but I thought that I would ask some direct questions to you learned folk!

1/Are there any purchase deals of any sort out there? Even service packs perhaps or some other sweeteners? I’ve been offered £340 off so far!

2/Lots of posts on here about issues, what are the top 3 that I should look for please before taking ownership? Anything really major? How are we finding getting them sorted? I didn‘t have a great MG experience when dealing with issues I’m afraid.

3/Any regrets about your MG4 purchase and if so why?

4/One of my biggest gripes with previous MG ownership was the dealers! Sorry, but I found them lacking. MG customer service also did not impress. Any strong recommendations on a dealer? I’m not too fussed where in the UK I purchase from, but would like to choose a dealership that has proven to look after customers well, and therefore deserves the business.

5/Is the build quality up to your expectations? I found my ZS to be adequate for the price and where the make sits in the market.

Finally, anything else by way of buying advice would be much appreciated !

Thank you all,
Stay warm!

My responses:

1/ I paid list price - MG4 is very popular so no deals as of yet. (Possible price increase in January)

2/ Oil leak is the only one I've experienced. SE SR range isn't great in winter, but you mention Orange so that means the Trophy LR version. Mine has a very small undertray bulge - much better than several others have observed

3/ None

4/ My dealer (so far) has been fine. Got my car booked in for tomorrow for the oil leak fix and available software updates

5/ Build quality is very good, especially for the price

My responses:

1/ I paid list price - MG4 is very popular so no deals as of yet. (Possible price increase in January)

2/ Oil leak is the only one I've experienced. SE SR range isn't great in winter, but you mention Orange so that means the Trophy LR version. Mine has a very small undertray bulge - much better than several others have observed

3/ None

4/ My dealer (so far) has been fine. Got my car booked in for tomorrow for the oil leak fix and available software updates

5/ Build quality is very good, especially for the price
Thanks!

Hi there,
I’m not that regular on these forums as I was, since selling my ZS. I still pop in now and then as it’s a great forum!

My Daughter likes the MG4 in orange colour and we are seriously thinking of ordering. We’ve been told about 16 weeks wait.

There’s loads of great posts about the MG4 and I’ve tried to read through most of them, but I thought that I would ask some direct questions to you learned folk!

1/Are there any purchase deals of any sort out there? Even service packs perhaps or some other sweeteners? I’ve been offered £340 off so far!

2/Lots of posts on here about issues, what are the top 3 that I should look for please before taking ownership? Anything really major? How are we finding getting them sorted? I didn‘t have a great MG experience when dealing with issues I’m afraid.

3/Any regrets about your MG4 purchase and if so why?

4/One of my biggest gripes with previous MG ownership was the dealers! Sorry, but I found them lacking. MG customer service also did not impress. Any strong recommendations on a dealer? I’m not too fussed where in the UK I purchase from, but would like to choose a dealership that has proven to look after customers well, and therefore deserves the business.

5/Is the build quality up to your expectations? I found my ZS to be adequate for the price and where the make sits in the market.

Finally, anything else by way of buying advice would be much appreciated !

Thank you all,
Stay warm!
Hi I've had mine about 6 weeks and love it.
Yes there are some niggles but generally and genuinely it's great.
I got a deal on free paint and mats but that was because I'd been given a bit of a run around on delivery.
1. I have the infamous undertray bulge but no oil leak.
2. I was having some tpms issues but my dealer sorted them pronto.
3. The software for the infotainment system is idiosyncratic to say the least and warning lights appear and disappear seemingly at random but I have faith that those will be sorted.
Build quality is pretty good ,actually better than that it's very very good. Look out for dodgy seats tho!
It's my first EV and I've found charging to be easy ,the range to be more than acceptable (SR) for my needs even in sub-zero temperatures, and the drive excellent. It's put a smile on my face on more than one occasion!

My advice? Go for it but don't be afraid to walk out of the showroom without committing. You can always walk back in. Do your research. Talk to more than one dealer even if it means you have to travel a bit.
And read the all the threads on here thoroughly before asking a question. It's probably been asked somewhere before
(And go easy on exclamation and question marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????)

Had mine (SE Long Range) for a similar time to @NickHeynes , absolutely love it. Second EV, first was a Zoe, build and ride quality IMO is far superior, feels like a quality car. No issues to speak of, but some idiosyncrasies as others have pointed out, such as patchy/ temperamental connections to the infotainment system. I hate the absence of a rear window wiper, and I really don't like that you can't schedule the auto AC (and won't work if not actively charging), plus the MG app is really poor in my experience, and usually 'fails' when I try to activate the auto AC or battery heating.

The car is about 30cm wider than a lot of competitors and I personally really notice it, esp on the single-lane windy roads in Warwickshire.

The auto cruise control with traffic jam assist is close to self-driving and feels like magic - gets very snotty with you tho if it thinks you don't have both hands on the wheel when activated, which is understandable.

Love the colour of the Trophy but personally prefer the SE long range really, not sure the 'extras' are worth it, manufacturer GPS is always spotty, don't care about heated seats, etc.

Had mine (SE Long Range) for a similar time to @NickHeynes , absolutely love it. Second EV, first was a Zoe, build and ride quality IMO is far superior, feels like a quality car. No issues to speak of, but some idiosyncrasies as others have pointed out, such as patchy/ temperamental connections to the infotainment system. I hate the absence of a rear window wiper, and I really don't like that you can't schedule the auto AC (and won't work if not actively charging), plus the MG app is really poor in my experience, and usually 'fails' when I try to activate the auto AC or battery heating.

The car is about 30cm wider than a lot of competitors and I personally really notice it, esp on the single-lane windy roads in Warwickshire.

The auto cruise control with traffic jam assist is close to self-driving and feels like magic - gets very snotty with you tho if it thinks you don't have both hands on the wheel when activated, which is understandable.

Love the colour of the Trophy but personally prefer the SE long range really, not sure the 'extras' are worth it, manufacturer GPS is always spotty, don't care about heated seats, etc.
Great info. Thanks.

Love my SE SR. My first EV, and I love the positives about electric cars. I've found the software to be great. Had the very odd issue with the autohold refusing to work for a drive or two. It's got a bulge in the undertray, but otherwise no issues.
The drive is great and there's loads of space for the size of car. There's a few little niggles (internal lighting for example) but any car that's priced £6k cheaper than it's rivals is going to have made compromises.
This cold snap has hit my range - not helped by pre-heating when not plugged in most mornings.

Love my SE SR. My first EV, and I love the positives about electric cars. I've found the software to be great. Had the very odd issue with the autohold refusing to work for a drive or two. It's got a bulge in the undertray, but otherwise no issues.
The drive is great and there's loads of space for the size of car. There's a few little niggles (internal lighting for example) but any car that's priced £6k cheaper than it's rivals is going to have made compromises.
This cold snap has hit my range - not helped by pre-heating when not plugged in most mornings.
Is the under tray bulge anything to worry about?

it depends if you want or need to know about delivery dates too perhaps? it may not matter that much to you, but if it does then asking if anyone has waited longer than 16 weeks might be useful? I'm still waiting for my car, the 16 weeks will be up on Boxing Day - I'm not holding out much hope of meeting that date but will be very happy to be wrong...

Take a look at the undertray threads.

it depends if you want or need to know about delivery dates too perhaps? it may not matter that much to you, but if it does then asking if anyone has waited longer than 16 weeks might be useful? I'm still waiting for my car, the 16 weeks will be up on Boxing Day - I'm not holding out much hope of meeting that date but will be very happy to be wrong...
Thanks. Delivery lead-times are quite important. I did press a couple of dealers on the subject and asked if historically the 16 weeks was achieved and if it had high expectancy.
They both said they were not prepared to comment…. I also asked if shipments were tracked and the customer kept updated. Both said no, they only find out about a month before arrival.
All probably not that accurate, but that’s what I’ve been told so far…

Take a look at the undertray threads.

Thanks. I should have done that really!

Thanks. Delivery lead-times are quite important. I did press a couple of dealers on the subject and asked if historically the 16 weeks was achieved and if it had high expectancy.
They both said they were not prepared to comment…. I also asked if shipments were tracked and the customer kept updated. Both said no, they only find out about a month before arrival.
that actually sounds refreshingly honest, and although doesn't help at all it does tie in with my experience, and the posts on this forum.

Really hope it is not 30Cm bigger than the Zoe :p or i won't be able to park in the garage :p
30mm sounds better :)

i popped into my dealer today asking for updates on my car, but none to have, but they had out of the blue just gotten a orange delivered, didn't ask if they had a customer for it, but if you are willing try spirit hyundai in corby.

There's a fairly consistent stream on dealers posting in the MG4 Facebook group of stock that will be available within the next couple of months. If you're fussy on spec and colour you might end up waiting, if you're flexible on colour and dealer, and watch the various groups you'll probably get one pretty quick.

To be fair to dealers, they have been bitten by MGs random allocation system and shipping delays so very hard to guarantee how long.

But, this is changing, by January MG will be on their build-to-order system and port strikes / drivers shortages abate, it should become a lot more predictable how long it will take for orders to arrive.

to complete the picture then both with without folding the mirrors

mg4
Width with mirrors2060 mm

zoe
GOverall width / including outside mirrors1,730/1,945

next time i get in doubt i can now find the info easier ;)

My advice to all my family is Buy MG4/5 or go for Tesla. Nothing in the middle makes sense. MG has best value for money (forget the issues they are trivial....we just like to complain between ourselves :) ). Tesla has the best overall package. If you have the money get Tesla model Y. Otherwise MG till you save.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back