MG4 Should I get one? What’s the consensus from owners and those waiting?

I have a trophy in orange. Zero issues for me so far, except getting Android auto working which is more likely down to my cable, and I had a tyre pressure warning which seemed to resolve itself in a short journey home (probably cold weather related).

Deal wise, I paid the list price, but got a decent trade in price, free mats, both type 2 and granny cable and servicing at £8 per month. I thought that was pretty good considering the lack of deals at the moment.

Really happy with how it drives, just be a bit careful with the acceleration when turning on slippery roads thanks to some good torque and rear wheel drive... Some might say that adds to the experience ;) oh and all software updates to be done are important and breather pipe upgrade to prevent oil leak was done prior to collection.

Last edited:
They both said they were not prepared to comment…. I also asked if shipments were tracked and the customer kept updated. Both said no, they only find out about a month before arrival.
My dealer was hopeless - made zero effort to provide any kind of information on the progress of my delivery. Took my deposit then radio silence, ignored my emails, etc. Worst car buying experience I've ever had (Cars2 MG).

to complete the picture then both with without folding the mirrors

mg4
Width with mirrors2060 mm

zoe
GOverall width / including outside mirrors1,730/1,945

next time i get in doubt i can now find the info easier ;)
yeah sorry, misinterpretation. Still mystifies me why we all still seem to quote dimensions in mm, so much harder to envisage unless you're a tradesman!

My advice to all my family is Buy MG4/5 or go for Tesla. Nothing in the middle makes sense. MG has best value for money (forget the issues they are trivial....we just like to complain between ourselves :) ). Tesla has the best overall package. If you have the money get Tesla model Y. Otherwise MG till you save.
I’ve had both Teslas and other makes - I take your point, but I’m not a great Tesla fan these days I’m afraid. Thanks for posting.

I have a trophy in orange. Zero issues for me so far, except getting Android auto working which is more likely down to my cable, and I had a tyre pressure warning which seemed to resolve itself in a short journey home (probably cold weather related).

Deal wise, I paid the list price, but got a decent trade in price, free mats, both type 2 and granny cable and servicing at £8 per month. I thought that was pretty good considering the lack of deals at the moment.

Really happy with how it drives, just be a bit careful with the acceleration when turning on slippery roads thanks to some good torque and rear wheel drive... Some might say that adds to the experience ;) oh and all software updates to be done are important and breather pipe upgrade to prevent oil leak was done prior to collection.
Thanks for the info. Are the type 2 and granny extras?

My advice to all my family is Buy MG4/5 or go for Tesla. Nothing in the middle makes sense. MG has best value for money (forget the issues they are trivial....we just like to complain between ourselves :) ). Tesla has the best overall package. If you have the money get Tesla model Y. Otherwise MG till you save.

Hmmm…wish I’d suffered a “trivial” issue.
Complete TPMS system failure isn’t “trivial”
Passengers having to get a bus home because my folded seat won’t go back up isn’t “trivial”
My drive being covered in oil isn’t “trivial”
And my car deciding to restrict my speed to anything between 50-70mph when it hits 40% charge is FAR from “trivial”

The wheel/steering vibration could possibly be described as trivial, but didn’t seem so at the time when MG didn’t seem to know what was causing it.
The undertray bulge maybe trivial.

TBH I’d tell anyone interested in the 4 ti wait at least 6 months.
Make sure any stocks of existing cars are exhausted and make sure any software and hardware changes are done.

I’ve been a ‘Guinea pig’ for new cars before, including Alfa Romeo’s, which have a ‘sketchy’ reputation.
They had nothing on this thing.
Shame, as it’s got the potential to be decent.

Hmmm…wish I’d suffered a “trivial” issue.
Complete TPMS system failure isn’t “trivial”
Passengers having to get a bus home because my folded seat won’t go back up isn’t “trivial”
My drive being covered in oil isn’t “trivial”
And my car deciding to restrict my speed to anything between 50-70mph when it hits 40% charge is FAR from “trivial”

The wheel/steering vibration could possibly be described as trivial, but didn’t seem so at the time when MG didn’t seem to know what was causing it.
The undertray bulge maybe trivial.

TBH I’d tell anyone interested in the 4 ti wait at least 6 months.
Make sure any stocks of existing cars are exhausted and make sure any software and hardware changes are done.

I’ve been a ‘Guinea pig’ for new cars before, including Alfa Romeo’s, which have a ‘sketchy’ reputation.
They had nothing on this thing.
Shame, as it’s got the potential to be decent.
I do agree. Being an early adopter can come with quite a few challenges. I’ve experienced this in the past with Tesla, whose build quality left much to desired.
It sounds like you have had a bad run of issues.
In the IT world it’s always advisable with software, to wait until a future version for the bugs to be ironed out, some modern cars are no different. Microsoft for example, has always been known as a company that uses it’s customers as testers for it‘s software…

Is the under tray bulge anything to worry about?
A number of people are well and truly wound up by the subject, but honestly, should it sway your decision? In isolation - NO. I've been under mine and with practical knowledge it is nothing that I'll fret about. If MG come up with a modified one would I like it for free, yes please, otherwise as you move to the rear of the car the area is totally open to the elements and the leading edge bulge is unfortunate but no big deal.
We have a SE SR in White - the cheap one! love it, foibles just like every new bit of tech your not used to but that's not the car, that's human nature.
Take mine as a positive vote, we sold a five year old very nice Mini Cooper to buy the MG4 - no regrets. Nearly 2,000 miles, had it since October, 300 & 400 mile journeys no problem - there's generally a rapid every 15 miles on the Motorway network.
Oh and yes, I've had the oil leak, it's fixed, no problem, nothing to see, move along! (y)

Thanks. Delivery lead-times are quite important. I did press a couple of dealers on the subject and asked if historically the 16 weeks was achieved and if it had high expectancy.
They both said they were not prepared to comment…. I also asked if shipments were tracked and the customer kept updated. Both said no, they only find out about a month before arrival.
All probably not that accurate, but that’s what I’ve been told so far…
Delivery time of 16 weeks is about standard for the MG4 anywhere, but check online, you could find some for immediate delivery or within a few weeks because dealers seem to allocate batches of MG4s of various specs and then need to match them with the orders/interest they have on their book. So if a dealer has an Orange Trophy allocated to them, but no one asking for one then they would seem to pop up on certain well-known car sale sites.

You’re giving your family really bad advice.

There are plenty of good EV options other than MG or Tesla.

My dealer wanted to charge me 220 quid for the Type 2 charging cable and 100 for car mats. Got the granny charger with the car. Bought great car mats on Ebay for a quarter of the price from here

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My dealer wanted to charge me 220 quid for the Type 2 charging cable and 100 for car mats. Got the granny charger with the car. Bought great car mats on Ebay for a quarter of the price from here
Thanks. I’m really expecting mats and a type 2 as part of the deal. Plus some sort of servicing package. I know there’s not many deals out there. I think CarWow will be out of business at this rate!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks. I’m really expecting mats and a type 2 as part of the deal. Plus some sort of servicing package. I know there’s not many deals out there. I think CarWow will be out of business at this rate!
Early deliveries of MG4s came with a single-phase type 2 cable (7kW max), but it is supposed to come with a granny charger and more recent deliveries have come with a granny.

The car now comes with a granny (charger, not kind old lady!), The type 2 cable and the mats were not included, but I negotiated those in. The service plan also started at £11, but got that for £8 in the end. I did take GardX at £330 (down from £800 by the way!) though, so I'm sure there's plenty of margin in that. They did say, they wouldn't normally give the extra type 2 cable, but I did need it for charging at work as I have a tethered charger at home.

Sorry. I don’t go for any of the add-ones I’m afraid. I consider them a rip-off. I’ve just gone through the dealership sales pitch.
Paint protection - it’s a modern paint finish, just keep it clean it will last forever! I would have fallen over at £800! I could employ someone each week to clean it for life for that!
Seriously,If you really want paint detailing, go to a proper detailer after you get the car. Dealerships typically just employ the cheapest labour they can and throw it on the car. At least you got it reduced.
Gap insurance - another waste of money - good insurers have new for old in 1st year of life - after that market value is fine.
Servicing - well, it’s cheap anyway (and unnecessary - but that’s another story) and if I can’t get it thrown in I pay when it’s time. I don’t see the point in paying up front unless you get discounted rates (which you used to) - you don’t now - so you save nothing! Just save an amount in your own account each month if you really want to!
‘Sorry again, but I hate these rip-off money spinner exploiting the customer types of ‘offers’.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back