MG4 Should I get one? What’s the consensus from owners and those waiting?

Sorry. I don’t go for any of the add-ones I’m afraid. I consider them a rip-off. I’ve just gone through the dealership sales pitch.
Paint protection - it’s a modern paint finish, just keep it clean it will last forever! I would have fallen over at £800! I could employ someone each week to clean it for life for that!
Seriously,If you really want paint detailing, go to a proper detailer after you get the car. Dealerships typically just employ the cheapest labour they can and throw it on the car. At least you got it reduced.
Gap insurance - another waste of money - good insurers have new for old in 1st year of life - after that market value is fine.
Servicing - well, it’s cheap anyway (and unnecessary - but that’s another story) and if I can’t get it thrown in I pay when it’s time. I don’t see the point in paying up front unless you get discounted rates (which you used to) - you don’t now - so you save nothing! Just save an amount in your own account each month if you really want to!
‘Sorry again, but I hate these rip-off money spinner exploiting the customer types of ‘offers’.
I know what you're saying and would normally whole heartedly agree, but a friend of mine was a detailer up until recently and said GardX was one of the few he'd rate (if applied correctly), so I stressed that to the dealer and as it was slightly more expensive locally to me (hence the discount on that). If you had my children, you'd appreciate the lifetime guarantee on the fabrics, forget the water beading money spinner!

Gap insurance agreed, never worth getting as even if not in your policy it's always cheaper elsewhere.

Servicing (Inc courtesy car and breakdown) covering 3 years of the warranty period for £192 spread over 2yrs cost...I'd suggest that's hard to beat and even if it was, it wouldn't be by much.

In my opinion, it really does depend if you're happy to negotiate down to a reasonable price.

It is, but that's obviously built into the cost of the plan. Of course if you didn't get it serviced by your dealer, you'd have to pay for this in addition if you were to opt for breakdown cover.

GardX has plenty of other ceramic and glass coatings competition all which need to be applied properly. My boss wife has an Aston Martin that has been finely detailed with 2 coats of ceramic added I am going to use the person that did the work on this car . I have checked out his website and prices and to get very close to the Aston bling, is going to cost £400 - 500, he will have the car 3 days. Having seen a ZS in the dealers with their coating the paint swirls stood out like a paint pattern. I disagree that modern paint will last forever, there are less coats applied to reduce weight, pollution,dirt, stones and other drivers conspire to shorten its life the protection can hold back pollution and dirt and some smaller stones but not other drivers crashing, or door denting.

Can anyone recommend an MG dealer in the Kent area? I think that we are going to place an order and I’m deciding on the best dealer to use (doesn’t have to be Kent), and advice is appreciated as always.

Can anyone recommend an MG dealer in the Kent area? I think that we are going to place an order and I’m deciding on the best dealer to use (doesn’t have to be Kent), and advice is appreciated as always.
Sorry, I can’t personally recommend an MG dealer down in Kent, but what I usually do is a search on Google maps, narrowing it down to those which get an average of 4.5 stars out of 5 and then carefully looking at those reviews. It’s also useful to see how the they deal with negative reviews. Are they still polite and constructive or rude and defensive?

I see there are two dealers in the area with a perfect five star rating. This one which has 81 reviews:
New & Used Car Dealer | Sussex & Kent | Caffyns Group

and this one which has garnered 50 reviews:
MG Dealer | Tunbridge Wells | Stoner Motor Company MG

This dealer has a 4.9 rating from 295 reviews:
MG Dealers Essex, Basildon | Toomey Motor Group

This dealer has a 4.9 rating from 150 reviews: Contact Us in St Albans | Glyn Hopkin MG

Sorry, I can’t personally recommend an MG dealer down in Kent, but what I usually do is a search on Google maps, narrowing it down to those which get an average of 4.5 stars out of 5 and then carefully looking at those reviews. It’s also useful to see how the they deal with negative reviews. Are they still polite and constructive or rude and defensive?

I see there are two dealers in the area with a perfect five star rating. This one which has 81 reviews:
New & Used Car Dealer | Sussex & Kent | Caffyns Group

and this one which has garnered 50 reviews:
MG Dealer | Tunbridge Wells | Stoner Motor Company MG

This dealer has a 4.9 rating from 295 reviews:
MG Dealers Essex, Basildon | Toomey Motor Group

This dealer has a 4.9 rating from 150 reviews: Contact Us in St Albans | Glyn Hopkin MG
Thank you. Very helpful.

Sorry. I don’t go for any of the add-ones I’m afraid. I consider them a rip-off. I’ve just gone through the dealership sales pitch.
Paint protection - it’s a modern paint finish, just keep it clean it will last forever! I would have fallen over at £800! I could employ someone each week to clean it for life for that!
Seriously,If you really want paint detailing, go to a proper detailer after you get the car. Dealerships typically just employ the cheapest labour they can and throw it on the car. At least you got it reduced.
Gap insurance - another waste of money - good insurers have new for old in 1st year of life - after that market value is fine.
Servicing - well, it’s cheap anyway (and unnecessary - but that’s another story) and if I can’t get it thrown in I pay when it’s time. I don’t see the point in paying up front unless you get discounted rates (which you used to) - you don’t now - so you save nothing! Just save an amount in your own account each month if you really want to!
‘Sorry again, but I hate these rip-off money spinner exploiting the customer types of ‘offers’.
Definitely do not agree on the Gap insurance, I didn't have it on my previous Zoe and when written off I was about 5k out of pocket, couldn't even afford a new Zoe! I got 3yrs for 175 quid for my MG4 and think it's dumb not to get it, tbh, at that price. Market is far too unpredictable right now to take the chance and if you had a year ago, you'd be hugely out of pocket now.

Definitely do not agree on the Gap insurance, I didn't have it on my previous Zoe and when written off I was about 5k out of pocket, couldn't even afford a new Zoe! I got 3yrs for 175 quid for my MG4 and think it's dumb not to get it, tbh, at that price. Market is far too unpredictable right now to take the chance and if you had a year ago, you'd be hugely out of pocket now.
Ok. I’m not trying to dictate to anyone or be ‘dumb’. I worked in the insurance industry for 20 years so that is my background and my personal view, everyone is free to choose what suits them best, based on their approach to risk, price and reward. I would suggest if you do go for it - get some quotes as the dealer figure might not be the best…

Virtually no "add-on" offered by a dealer is good value, whether by price or by quality. That doesn't mean though that the nature of an add-on should be disregarded.

GAP insurance is one of those which has value for many people - but only if you get it via a 3rd party (e.g. ALA Gap Insurance and similar).

As I mentioned, many quality insurers have new for old as part of their standard cover (check out your policy or ask the question) for the cars first 12 months from registration - so if you’re buying new and take out Gap cover you might be paying for something that you already have.

I don’t think that the MG4 has a rear wiper. Has anyone found this an issue?

Attachments

• rear wiper.jpg
    rear wiper.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 166
So, I’m seeing the back of the car gets filthy, but the rear window looks relatively clear?

I think you're misunderstanding not having gap insurance with taking it from the dealer...It's built into many policies (in the first year of ownership normally) and can always be had cheaper elsewhere. Not saying not to have cover.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back