MG4 Should I get one? What’s the consensus from owners and those waiting?

Hello FiferMG4 thanks for the welcome, no doubt your counting down the days until yours arrives, Im sure it will be worth it.
Yes, indeed! By the way, I’d never heard of the town of Mold in North Wales, but I looked it up and quaint little town it is. It reminds me of the similar sized town of Cupar near where I live.

You have likely read my post about the airbag so I’m totally on the fence about recommending the car at this moment in time. The car has been in a week and neither MG or the dealer seem to know what to do with it as yet. Every time the dealer has touched the car whilst it has been with them I’ve been getting abnormal power steering or abnormal brakes updates on the app so I know when they are looking at it. That said, the dealer’s response has been brilliant and the car once I’d turned off a few things ran brilliantly. I have the tray bulge but have been advised that there will be a recall repair/replace on this so early next year not high up on my list of issues. Are my issues the IT on my car or related to the updates added to car by the dealer ‘coincidentally’ the day before - I wait to find out. Either way this would mean that these issues are just my unlucky car or an update which can be amended.

Hi there,
I’m not that regular on these forums as I was, since selling my ZS. I still pop in now and then as it’s a great forum!

My Daughter likes the MG4 in orange colour and we are seriously thinking of ordering. We’ve been told about 16 weeks wait.

There’s loads of great posts about the MG4 and I’ve tried to read through most of them, but I thought that I would ask some direct questions to you learned folk!

1/Are there any purchase deals of any sort out there? Even service packs perhaps or some other sweeteners? I’ve been offered £340 off so far!

2/Lots of posts on here about issues, what are the top 3 that I should look for please before taking ownership? Anything really major? How are we finding getting them sorted? I didn‘t have a great MG experience when dealing with issues I’m afraid.

3/Any regrets about your MG4 purchase and if so why?

4/One of my biggest gripes with previous MG ownership was the dealers! Sorry, but I found them lacking. MG customer service also did not impress. Any strong recommendations on a dealer? I’m not too fussed where in the UK I purchase from, but would like to choose a dealership that has proven to look after customers well, and therefore deserves the business.

5/Is the build quality up to your expectations? I found my ZS to be adequate for the price and where the make sits in the market.

Finally, anything else by way of buying advice would be much appreciated !

Thank you all,
Stay warm!
Following a test drive today of the MG4 SE, we have decided to order one. It will be a white SE and we managed to order it at the current price, i e. before the price increase which is good.
Having just driven one, it is clear why people are so enthusiastic about it. Such a nice car and so easy to drive. And even the SE is remarkably we equipped for an entry level car. Protected delivery is 16 weeks so we are going to have to wait for a few months.

My understanding is that the price increase has already been applied. Just looked at my local dealer and it is showing the SE as £26,995, was £25,000 earlier.
I was not correct about the price increase. And I know that was not right because I have just ordered one at the existing price.

What is a granny?
A derogatory term used to describe a slow charging cable. Seemingly common language, but with discriminatory undertones. It wouldn't be used in a similar way if it were mocking an 'established' minority group in society, but it's apparently fair game when the person it references isn't seen as one.

A derogatory term used to describe a slow charging cable. Seemingly common language, but with discriminatory undertones. It wouldn't be used in a similar way if it were mocking an 'established' minority group in society, but it's apparently fair game when the person it references isn't seen as one.
Thank you.
Can I ask you what is the length of the cable supplied with the car.

I always thought it was called that because it’s the charge cable that you use when visiting your dear gran. (Or similarly away from home)

I always thought it was called that because it’s the charge cable that you use when visiting your dear gran. (Or similarly away from home)
Why isn't it called a family cable or the like, for when one is visiting their dear family or dear friends? Would it be called a 'granny cable' it is wasn't slow.

Why isn't it called a family cable or the like, for when one is visiting their dear family or dear friends? Would it be called a 'granny cable' it is wasn't slow.
No idea. I don’t think that grannies are an unestablished group in society though.

Technically it’s a standard charger - not a slow charger.

No idea. I don’t think that grannies are an unestablished group in society though.
Agreed, they are unfortunately not seen as a sub section of society in which mocking (them) is no longer socially acceptable. Quite easy for the cable to be (colloquially) called a family cable, or a visiting cable, then doing away with the negative connotations of the 'slow' nature of the cable.

Technically it’s a standard charger - not a slow charger.
A terminology of 'standard charger' used in all circumstances would be an ideal description, even more so if that's what it actually is.

I agree that it should just be referred to as a standard charger and personally I will try to do this in future when describing it. Thank you for calling this out.
However, your argument ‘It wouldn't be used in a similar way if it were mocking an 'established' minority group in society’ is flawed (which I think that you accepted, grannies are an established group).
Also being called a granny charger because it’s slow is similarly incorrect, if you use the technical term which is a standard charger.
The underlying meaning and motive is sound though..

I agree that it should just be referred to as a standard charger and personally I will try to do this in future when describing it. Thank you for calling this out.
However, your argument ‘It wouldn't be used in a similar way if it were mocking an 'established' minority group in society’ is flawed (which I think that you accepted, grannies are an established group).
Also being called a granny charger because it’s slow is similarly incorrect, if you use the technical term which is a standard charger.
Correct name is a "Mode 2 EV Charger" as it is the term for any portable charge lead with built in EVSE controller, these can go upto 22kW three phase.

And your wallbox chargers at AC are Mode 3 EV Chargers.

They are an established group, but they aren't seen as a minority group.
Calling it a so-called granny charger because it is slow fits the 'slow' stereo type of the group, as it is the slowest form of charging What is a granny cable?
Again, it could quite easily be called a family charger, colloquially. It shouldn't be used in a manner which could be interpreted as discriminatory.

They are an established group, but they aren't seen as a minority group.
Calling it a so-called granny charger because it is slow fits the 'slow' stereo type of the group, as it is the slowest form of charging What is a granny cable?
Again, it could quite easily be called a family charger, colloquially. It shouldn't be used in a manner which could be interpreted as discriminatory.
Would calling it a ‘family charger’ taking your argument infer that the family is ‘slow’

Welcome back😂

This is the sort of conversation which honestly makes me despair with the world right now...
1672233112995.gif

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel