MG4 software recall upgrade not working

Driver16

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
My Surrey dealer had my car for over a week for software recall upgrade of admitted faulty MG software ?
Software upgrades was advertise by MG that it will be done over the air. Dealer said MG cannot do this?!

Since alleged upgrade my regenerative breaking on eco does not work???
Dealer said that other customers have reported this problem.
Nothing done by dealer nor MG to make MG4 Regen work properly or at all.
Just made it worse and not working.
Is this a problem with brakes and dangerous?

Also, suddenly since MG4 software faulty upgrade it has also changed the settings so that
each time you switch off car. Regen Eco reverts automatically to NORMAL every time.
According dealer.
Tesla recalled their cars for faulty software.

MG4 dealer just gives excuses, blames everyone else and refuses to make the MG4 under warranty fit for the purpose and as advertised.
MG UK and Saic Motors China fail and refuse to answer and to controll its dealer.
How can I get Regen software to work? Is this covered by 7 year warranty?

My Surrey dealer had my car for over a week for software recall upgrade of admitted faulty MG software ?
Software upgrades was advertise by MG that it will be done over the air. Dealer said MG cannot do this?!

Also, suddenly since MG4 software faulty upgrade it has also changed the settings so that
each time you switch off car. Regen Eco reverts automatically to NORMAL every time.
According dealer.

MG4 dealer just gives excuses, blames everyone else and refuses to make the MG4 under warranty fit for the purpose and as advertised.
MG UK and Saic Motors China fail and refuse to answer and to controll its dealer.
Regen should be design default to level 3, if it didn't previously that was faulty.

Tesla recalls are not recalls as such, they do their "recall" updates over the air

According dealer.

My understanding of the way it works is that MG Dealers connect the car to the MG network and it individually downloads all the updates directly from China.

If the Chinese servers are down (which is a frequent occurrence), the updates cannot be done. If there's a problem with the update they are dependent on MG China to figure out why and what to do. There's obviously a time difference so if they are doing it too late in the day here then they may not get an answer until the following day. This can lead to frustrating delays.

This is actually something many manufacturers struggle with but MG seem to be worse than most. Over-the-air updates are in principle possible but MG has never enabled them and it would be chaos if they caused these kinds of problems at customer's homes. So they may never be enabled.

The MG4 is not supposed to remember drive mode settings journey to journey (an NCAP requirement), earlier versions of the software had a bug where some were retained which has been corrected.

Regen not working on Eco could be a new bug introduced by a software update that will need to get fixed in a future update.

Note that while Tesla has the best update system, they have had a lot of bugs in the past, but because they are years ahead with their experience of EVs their software is much more mature.

According dealer.

I believe that the resetting of Regen is unfortunately a requirement of WLTP. There has been a lot of discussion about this on various threads on the forum and I think expectations were set through some miscommunication in the early days before the cars even arrived. I'm not certain of the technicalities and legal position but I think that the car on switch needs to return to the settings used by the car maker when tested for range estimates under WLTP. If it didn't it might be argued that MG was doing a Dieselgate-type deception in using different settings for test purposes that customers and owners wouldn't normally use. So I would imagine that MG submitted vehicles for testing with the most favourable, but also realistic settings for the best WLTP range. I say realistic, which is why they didn't make the default "ECO" as this would be perceived as a cheat.

I'd personally like to be able to set the car up to a user profile but that isn't a supported feature atm.

Note that while Tesla has the best update system, they have had a lot of bugs in the past, but because they are years ahead with their experience of EVs their software is much more mature.
Tesla has a completly different ground up approach to their car's ECU strategy and have so as I'm lead to believe a central ECU architecture where as most other "Legacy" manufactures have a distributed ECU architecture which has evolved from their heritage of building ICE vehicles for many years. Go ck a decade or two and these car makers were adding features starting I guess with electronic ignition then an antilock braking system (ABS) and then an engine management system to reduce emissions and so on. So if the ABS worked and you wanted to improve the Engine Management you would upgrade just that and its software without the risk of causing problems in the ABS. This approach ensured that each system could be run on very cheap chips which were fairly robust in all kinds of environments and could all run with simple power requirements.
MGs have this heritage and I think when MG talked about OTA Updates they were not as clear as they could/should have been and let people join dot that was not there. The OTA Updates is to the "Connected" infotainment system and all those legacy ECU subsystems are well old style islands of distributed tech. Talk to an ID3 owner and you'll find that they also have to return to the dealer for updates as only the top layer of the infotainment system has OTA Update capability.
By contrast, Tesla is a computer on wheels with a couple of networked and connected high-power computers. Its just a different strategy suited to its short history.

According dealer.

My MG4 Trophy was with the dealer technicians for 4 weeks to upgrad the software. They had so many issue’s and couldn’t release the car because after the upgrade it was unsafe to drive. They did lend me a MG5 so not too bad. Car all sorted now and no issues at all. I did have a call yesterday 2nd June 2023 for another software update recall. They have promised me it’s a simple upgrade….we will see.

It raises a fair point about the inconsistent approach to software upgrades though. I got my car around 2 months ago. I know it's not on the latest software version from checking and like others I'm getting a lot of the similar bugs. I feel that it won't be addressed unless I go to the nearest mg dealer directly. Would they even do the update or feel obliged to unless I was putting the car in for anything else? 🤔 I don't think they would!

Hope this is not a daft question!
I’ve only had the car a few days (red trophy) and still getting to grips with it, although my first impression is great.
How do I find what version the car software is on, I found the satnav version with some digging. Thanks in advance of any replies.

Hope this is not a daft question!
I’ve only had the car a few days (red trophy) and still getting to grips with it, although my first impression is great.
How do I find what version the car software is on, I found the satnav version with some digging. Thanks in advance of any replies.
You can only see the infotainment software version not the ones for the other modules in the car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 517 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back