MG4 software update one pedal driving

Unless you have a phase 2 (with rear wiper etc.) that somehow came without OPD then UK cars are not getting this. It seems that some got delivered in Australia without OPD that should have had it.

I suspect that the early phase 1 cars could be updated but it seems MG policy not to provide it.

My dealership has confirmed to me the update will be available to 2022 models at some point but it is not released yet. Tbh, I don't know if I can trust that to be correct

My dealership has confirmed to me the update will be available to 2022 models at some point but it is not released yet. Tbh, I don't know if I can trust that to be correct
On one of the Podcasts they said it was not possible to update the phase1 for OPD

And the above 2 posts demonstrates perfectly the problem. No-one, including the dealers and probably also MG UK, really knows the true position as SAIC won't be telling them.

I had heard that someone with a phase 1 car had had the update. No idea how reliable that is, mind.

I don't see what's in it for MG to refuse to apply the upgrade if it's technically possible. Delay it a bit or even charge for it, sure. But saying to the customers who had faith in car and supported it early in its release, no you can't have this even if you offer us money, no, never, even though we could do it for you, is terrible customer relations with no apparent upside.

My understanding of car retail economics is that the higher the value of the second hand stock, the more demand you can generate for new cars. This may sound counter-intuitive but as most new cars are PCP and leases, higher residual values make for more attractive new contract deals. So surely SAIC would be incentived to add software value where possible. This is what Tesla does, and it certainly works for them! :)

I don't actually want OPD, I'd settle for the things the car is supposed to have working properly. But I keep coming across the attitude on the forum that MG will deliberately deny customers simple, cost-free facilities they could easily supply (such as the assertions that SE drivers weren't supposed to have an external temperature display so of course when it was discovered this had been enabled by mistake, R16 was rushed out to remove it) for reasons that basically sound like spite.

I feel this attitude is likely to be mistaken and is potentially poisonous. MG makes mistakes and seems to have a habit of trying to cover its arse by declaring that these aren't mistakes at all, but that's a very different thing from deliberately doing things to piss off its existing customers for no apparent reason than to punish them for buying early and not waiting for the new version.

Even @PristDean got his aircon regassed and his undertray replaced despite all the proclamations that they'd never do it because the loud noise and the warp were normal.

Last edited:
I don't actually want OPD, I'd settle for the things the car is supposed to have working properly. But I keep coming across the attitude on the forum that MG will deliberately deny customers simple, cost-free facilities they could easily supply (such as the assertions that SE drivers weren't supposed to have an external temperature display so of course when it was discovered this had been enabled by mistake, R16 was rushed out to remove it) for reasons that basically sound like spite.

I feel this attitude is likely to be mistaken and is potentially poisonous. MG makes mistakes and seems to have a habit of trying to cover its arse by declaring that these aren't mistakes at all, but that's a very different thing from deliberately doing things to piss off its existing customers for no apparent reason than to punish them for buying early and not waiting for the new version.

Even @PristDean got his aircon regassed and his undertray replaced despite all the proclamations that they'd never do it because the loud noise and the were normal.
Aircon re-gassed and entire Aircon pump replaced with a new one

Do you have a link and is that an official statement?
I am still kind of hoping it's coming...
It is possible in this podcast or the one mainly about the MG4

It is possible in this podcast or the one mainly about the MG4
on the MG4 software update thread someone who has a phase 1 reported receiving the update. so far the only case I saw where it happened though

I had heard that someone with a phase 1 car had had the update. No idea how reliable that is, mind.

I don't see what's in it for MG to refuse to apply the upgrade if it's technically possible. Delay it a bit or even charge for it, sure. But saying to the customers who had faith in car and supported it early in its release, no you can't have this even if you offer us money, no, never, even though we could do it for you, is terrible customer relations with no apparent upside.
I absolutely agree 👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel