MG4 Software Update Thread

Thanks for the confirmation. Do you use the lane assist? How is it compared to VW or Skoda's lane assist, if you happen to have used them?

Thanks for the confirmation. Do you use the lane assist? How is it compared to VW or Skoda's lane assist, if you happen to have used them?
MG lane assist isn't really a good implementation. It does not lane follow like other cars I have been in, it just jerks the steering once it thinks you can are crossing the lane boundary.

MG lane assist isn't really a good implementation. It does not lane follow like other cars I have been in, it just jerks the steering once it thinks you can are crossing the lane boundary.
I think it jerks because the default setting is "alert and emergency assist". It might be better if it was set on just alert and assist (the one below).

The way I see it is you either have a car that drives itself or you have a car that is driven by a person. I have never used lane assistance on any car I've owned. ABS yes that's useful, Traction control can be useful, even AEB if it works well. But if the car has to steer for you then maybe you should ask yourself whether driving is for you. You are told to turn it off on unsuitable roads in the manual so turning off is required. Just make it easy and quick to turn off . That is the solution.

holy crap, the r16 is out since january and still no update after that for the SE - it takes a long time especially if you see youtube videos of updated infotainment in mg4 in china out already

The way I see it is you either have a car that drives itself or you have a car that is driven by a person. I have never used lane assistance on any car I've owned. ABS yes that's useful, Traction control can be useful, even AEB if it works well. But if the car has to steer for you then maybe you should ask yourself whether driving is for you. You are told to turn it off on unsuitable roads in the manual so turning off is required. Just make it easy and quick to turn off . That is the solution.

This. If you need that thing, you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

I sure hope they can add music folder playback from usb.

Right now it plays from start sorted after name on song, not even after artist. (n):poop:

That is by far my biggest complaint.

Here.

I know it's a bit of a pain to do, but think of it like this. Once you have renamed your tracks and put them in order in a folder for your car, it's done. You can add to it if you want, but what you have done will not undo itself. Not like all the careful car detailing, that will be all to do again next week.

The described procedure is the Full Monty. You can get away with simply adding a simple alphanumeric code to the beginning of every track name so that they play in the right order.

I'm actually a happy bunny now. My USB stick remembers where I stopped it, even if I've spent some time listening to the radio in between. I have well over 30 hours of music on the stick, and counting. Including a single work in 191 tracks that lasts for fourteen and a half hours.

I don't know how long it will take them to fix this bug, so my advice is to spend a little while sorting out your tracks and you can relax until they do.

And anyway, even with the folders, Trophy owners say they still have to do this (at least for some albums) to some extent to get the tracks in the folders in order. Although with folders you'd maybe only need to add numbers.

Although my old Golf could read iPod playlists, in the time it took me to find the playlist I wanted it would find the track with the highest alphabetic name and start playing it. Some random track from some German opera which happened to begin with the word "aber", that's "but". So there is a general tendency of car players to do this.

Can anyone please confirm if 1100R13 is the latest MPU on SE?

Btw, I am also curious if software updates will improve their lane assistance. Having been using Skoda's lane assistance, I found MG4's lane assistance in 1100R13 is awful.

R16 is the latest on the SE but this loses the outside temperature display. I guess there will be another one along soon...
The software version shown on the infotainment screen only applies to the infotainment system/module not to the other systems/modules that are in the car so just updating it won't improve the lane assistance.

Regarding the new "R40" version that has been seen on the 23 model, I really hope it'll be applicable to the existing models.

I can't see it happening but can you imagine MG maintaining two different software versions that (may or may not) look completely different just because the 23 model has a few extra features?

I hope if and when the update does come out, it's something MG aim to get installed on all models whether that's at a service or if someone asked for their car to go into the garage for the update - having two different versions in the wild screams inconsistency.

I say all this, and I have had almost zero problems with the software on mine (y)

Regarding the new "R40" version that has been seen on the 23 model, I really hope it'll be applicable to the existing models.

I emailed them to ask whether existing owners would be getting any of the new software features of the new model:

"Thank you for your email, however any new features released for newer models, will not be added retrospectively to existing models. The reason for this is that there will be different operation systems."

If this is true then I can't see them spending much, if any, time trying to fix bugs for our versions.

I emailed them to ask whether existing owners would be getting any of the new software features of the new model:

"Thank you for your email, however any new features released for newer models, will not be added retrospectively to existing models. The reason for this is that there will be different operation systems."

If this is true then I can't see them spending much, if any, time trying to fix bugs for our versions.
If this ends up being true then I will be very disappointed.
I agree they wouldn't fancy maintaining two versions and any work on the existing version will just fade away.

I don't know exactly how your initial email to them was worded, but their reply makes it sound like the car itself will run on different systems due to the new features, maybe due to one-pedal, etc?
But with them calling the newer version R40, instead of a new ID for a new OS, it makes me think they're still building on top of the existing infotainment software - who knows?

If this ends up being true then I will be very disappointed.
I agree they wouldn't fancy maintaining two versions and any work on the existing version will just fade away.

I don't know exactly how your initial email to them was worded, but their reply makes it sound like the car itself will run on different systems due to the new features, maybe due to one-pedal, etc?
But with them calling the newer version R40, instead of a new ID for a new OS, it makes me think they're still building on top of the existing infotainment software - who knows?
The car in Bjorn's video has a black roof and 17" wheels running R40 software so was not one of the facelift cars, according to my dealer everything built after march 2023 has 18" wheels and no black roof.
So it looks like R40 will come to existing cars.

To be clear the R13 software is for the infotainment system only and will not impact LKA, that will have a separate module with it’s own software or form part of an update to the cars main control unit.
Any update to R13 will only apply to the infotainment system.

The car in Bjorn's video has a black roof and 17" wheels running R40 software so was not one of the facelift cars, according to my dealer everything built after march 2023 has 18" wheels and no black roof.
So it looks like R40 will come to existing cars.
Agree, running different OS's on cars is a statement I find very hard to believe. The OS will remain the same with updates and as such different versions accompanying updates to the cars other systems. Anything else would be unmanageable for MG.

All I can say about that is, you clearly haven't been paying attention!
Haha I know what you’re saying.

Okay I’ll rephrase, I haven’t had issues that make me want to switch LKA back on and let it have its way with me…

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back