MG4 Software updates

The thing I do not understand is that OTA gives MG complete control over the versions and the order they are applied. Much more than giving vague instructions to a dealer and letting some semi-skilled mechanic apply them.

Agree though that the software does appear quite brittle and maybe they don't want 1000's of bricked cars sat on peoples drives!

But Telsa, BMW, VW et al sow it can be done, and probably saves you money in the long run.
Systems that a mission critical such as in the environment I work in power distribution, have two flash chips which hold identical software except when setting changes or updates are done.

In which case when a corruption happens or a setting borks the system the module will load the duplicate software of the last working version / settings and run from that and restore the borked one to the last known working system.

You'd hope car modules are the same but who knows.

The OBD port has permanent 12V live on it. USB port shuts down with the car. This has always been the case. So the car hasn't changed - how you use it has.

When I first got my SE SR there was the ability (via the app) to set a charge level ... after a few weeks this disappeared. (I don't know about in the car because I've never tried to set it there). My belief is that the default profile on MG's servers is for the LR car ... once an SR has been registered the profile gets tweaked (a while later) and so the charge limit control disappears.

Neither scenario above is evidence of OTA updates to the car.
I know that OBD has permanent 12V, but as you said, USB port shuts down with the car. The carlink is powered by the USB as it works as Apple Car Play.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may shut down with the car, but I have yet to figure out how to get a USB stick out of it without corrupting it.
Usb ports are active for 2-3mins after turning car off.

I have a wireless android auto dongle that stays connected to my phone for around 2-3mins after I've locked it and got into the house

Last edited:
Can you suggest some way to get the sticks out when the port is inactive? If I unlock the door then dive in and grab the stick as soon as I can, it still corrupts.

Can you suggest some way to get the sticks out when the port is inactive? If I unlock the door then dive in and grab the stick as soon as I can, it still corrupts.
Turn the car off on dash wait 3-4mins to be safe and remove stick if there isn't an eject option

There isn't an eject option. The handbook says not to remove the stick if it is being accessed, but there never seems to be a time when it isn't. So if I turn the car off on the infotainment screen while I'm still sitting in it, that should work?

It's no big deal, the stick is merely a copy of a file on my computer and it can be repaired/reformatted, but it's a pest.

There isn't an eject option. The handbook says not to remove the stick if it is being accessed, but there never seems to be a time when it isn't. So if I turn the car off on the infotainment screen while I'm still sitting in it, that should work?

It's no big deal, the stick is merely a copy of a file on my computer and it can be repaired/reformatted, but it's a pest.
My android auto adapter turns off after a few minutes and disconnects from my phone when I turn off the car while still inside.

I'm guessing it's a case of the system is shutting down and take a while to do whatever it is doing to turn off

Have you tried changing the source of your music to the radio before removing the stick?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back