MG4 Standard tyres are seriously dangerous!

Guru

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
When we first got our MG4 the tyres seemed OK however after 3000 miles it's become apparent all is not well. In anything other then perfect dry conditions it's like driving on ice all the time and not in a fun way! I'm going to speak to the dealer tomorrow however after just 3000 miles they are clearly not fit for purpose. It's a real shame because it's yet another niggle that's stopping us from enjoying the car.

I'll probably replace them with Michelin CrossClimate 2's as I've used them before on our ZS and they seemed really good, has anyone tried them on the MG4 yet?

When we first got our MG4 the tyres seemed OK however after 3000 miles it's become apparent all is not well. In anything other then perfect dry conditions it's like driving on ice all the time and not in a fun way! I'm going to speak to the dealer tomorrow however after just 3000 miles they are clearly not fit for purpose. It's a real shame because it's yet another niggle that's stopping us from enjoying the car.

I'll probably replace them with Michelin CrossClimate 2's as I've used them before on our ZS and they seemed really good, has anyone tried them on the MG4 yet?
... I do find the rear of the car similar, its not a major issue, nevertheless do only accelerate in a straight line. I'm sure more appropriate tyres will do the trick.

Our Ateca came with a good brand of European rubber (can’t remember but a big name) and they were crap in the wet. As were the standard michelins on the GT86.

Don’t forget you are now driving a rear wheel drive car. Most are used to FWD hatchbacks and are not used to the rear’s potentially breaking away.

I had Crossclimates on the RWD GT86 and they were measurably better

... completly agree, we've come from a VW 4X4, so accelerating it was perfect, but stopping it was crap, the MG4 is perfect stopping, but accelerating its crap! - no major issue, just need to adapt to the car!

Our Ateca came with a good brand of European rubber (can’t remember but a big name) and they were crap in the wet. As were the standard michelins on the GT86.

Don’t forget you are now driving a rear wheel drive car. Most are used to FWD hatchbacks and are not used to the rear’s potentially breaking away.

I had Crossclimates on the RWD GT86 and they were measurably better
To be fair it's not like an old school rwd because of the weight of the battery etc but I know what you mean, had a rwd nissan 200sx that just loved a play in the wet/damp

I know Bowfer put Goodyear vectors on his 4 and rates them, sure another member has done similar, I have them on my other car and I rate them, little bit more road noise but really good when we had snow

I've owned 1 or 2 RWD cars over the years, Lexus Soarer, BMW 540i, MGF/TF, MG RV8, MG B V8, Mercedes SLK 350, Mercedes C300h to name a few so quite use to how they should handle ;). I've also done quite a few track days over the years including Nurburgring so again have a feel for how cars should behave when pushed. The chassis on the MG4 seems well set up and when the tyres were new and in the dry it's handling inspired confidence however with just a little wear on those tyres its now scary.............even for someone who's driven an MG TF round a track!

If you search Vibration and Rumble you will see a lot of Owners have experienced poor tyre efficiency. Basically these Chinese rubber Continentals are not as European standard.
I changed mine for Cross Climate 2 and it transformed the drive and smoothness. You will also find the wiper blades are rubbish too. Changed them to Bosch and superb.

Interesting about the CrossClimate 2s – we had them on our (much beloved) Dacia Duster and they positively glued it to the road. I've already had a taste of incipient rear-end shenanigans after a some prolonged rain over the weekend.

I guess on the downside, CrossClimate 2s could reduce battery life (not being low-resistance tyres)?

I've owned 1 or 2 RWD cars over the years, Lexus Soarer, BMW 540i, MGF/TF, MG RV8, MG B V8, Mercedes SLK 350, Mercedes C300h to name a few so quite use to how they should handle ;). I've also done quite a few track days over the years including Nurburgring so again have a feel for how cars should behave when pushed. The chassis on the MG4 seems well set up and when the tyres were new and in the dry it's handling inspired confidence however with just a little wear on those tyres its now scary.............even for someone who's driven an MG TF round a track!
Now what tyre brand was factory fitted on your MG4?

I've done 13k in my trophy now, had CrossClimate 2's on since 6k as I thought the same and it's transformed the car, even with the warmer weather recently there much better than the OEM tyres & in the snow I was seriously impressed by their traction.

i haven't really noticed any negative effect on range however these new versions have a much better rolling resistance than the original Crossclimate's as I was slightly worried about that so did abit of research.

Imo all seasons should be sold on any new car in the uk now, it's not like the old days when winters were crap in summer etc. Tyre design & compounds are much more advanced.

I've done 13k in my trophy now, had CrossClimate 2's on since 6k as I thought the same and it's transformed the car, even with the warmer weather recently there much better than the OEM tyres & in the snow I was seriously impressed by their traction.

i haven't really noticed any negative effect on range however these new versions have a much better rolling resistance than the original Crossclimate's as I was slightly worried about that so did abit of research.

Imo all seasons should be sold on any new car in the uk now, it's not like the old days when winters were crap in summer etc. Tyre design & compounds are much more advanced.
Ah, that's very good news. Thanks for the update.

They are instantly lethal @Buster72, you must have passed into the afterlife. 🤣
Which gives you the massive benefit of reducing your level of complaints about the car too! Whats not to like!

To be fair it's not like an old school rwd because of the weight of the battery etc but I know what you mean, had a rwd nissan 200sx that just loved a play in the wet/damp

I literally watched a 200sx spin off the road and fly backwards up the embankment on an A14 slip road once. Tried to out accelerate me away from a roundabout and totally lost the back end.

People have forgotten how to handle a rwd in the wet or even dry and blame it on the tyres rather than their driving out competing physics

You will also find the wiper blades are rubbish too. Changed them to Bosch and superb.
Most definitely!
I always had an area directly in my eyeline that always seemed to be greasy, as the standard wipers just wouldn't clear it. Stuck a set of Bosch blades on and one sweep later - clear screen.

I literally watched a 200sx spin off the road and fly backwards up the embankment on an A14 slip road once. Tried to out accelerate me away from a roundabout and totally lost the back end.

People have forgotten how to handle a rwd in the wet or even dry and blame it on the tyres rather than their driving out competing physics
Agreed but once you knew there was great fun to be had

Got to disagree with you. In my opinion the tyres are perfectly fine.
I am sure they are fine and I am also sure that replacing them gives a big improvement.

Part of the cost cutting on the MG4 is the choice of tyres.

Because it is cheaper than alternatives, I have the option to change the tyres if I want to and I am still ahead on the deal compared to competitors.

And I can change the wiper blades, get some aftermarket mats, upgrade the interior lighting and still be ahead.

The key thing is that it will be my choice, all of the costs are not already in the car and if it is good enough as is, I won't spend on them.

I like this aspect of the MG4, I know some will think the cost cutting goes too far but that's what the more expensive competitors are for.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back