MG4 steaming up problem

No Griff it does not steam up with AC on just when no heating is on not all the time though, makes me think damp is getting in somewhere.

I admit to being an AC-off person in the summer when it is not too hot but, even then, I have it on when it is raining or the air is damp. I also turn it on at least once a month, to ‘keep it happy’.
In the winter, definitely on all the time.

There is something particular to MG4.
Other cars do steam up but this car steams up a LOT. Yes Fan helps , yes opening the window helps etc etc but I still want to know from any expert out there why this car steams up so much.

The answer could be actually something good. I think this car has low noise inside the car ie it is pretty air tight. If that is the reason then I'm ok with it.

Has anyone had the steaming up issue at various times & why have spoken to another owner who has the same issue.

I especially notice it first thing in the morning when I take wife & daughter to work.

If temperature allows I open at least 1 window sometimes combined with heater/AC which does the trick

What I’ve done also over the years is once a week I give the windows especially inside a good clean ( I use Autoglym Fast Glass ) it doesn’t stop it but it’s not as bad & having dust/smear free windows helps it clear easier.

There's another thread about using AC or not. (Hint: just use it). :)

There is another thread specifically about this problem, people talking about water running down the inside of their windows, but I can't find it. If someone else can, I'll merge this in.

I don't use the aircon and I don't have this problem. I think there is either some other setting that needs to be changed, or some cars have an actual fault.

Yes we had this issue on a 60 mile drive home at 10pm. Aircon on, auto mode. Car mists up at rear then front mists up. Turn on windscreen clear button which helps. Then turned off it happens 5 mins later. Rinse and repeat. On one occasion when turning on the screen blower it became worse and i almost had to stop as i couldnt see out. Opening the window to let air in didnt seem to help brake the cycle of misting up neither did switching to manual external air.

I know the external air works as we had a car overtake the other day spewing diesel smoke and you could smell it straight away

We have done hour long or more before without misting but on that particular drive it was out of control.

I have other cars and they dont do this under this scenario

The car absorbs a lot of moisture during manufacture, sitting at the docks and during the sea voyage and can take some time to evaporate especially at this time of the year.

Page 90 of the owner's manual says:
Note: Leaving the system in internal recirculation mode can cause the windscreen to mist. If this
happens, turn on the defrost/demist mode.

Strange one this, with both ZS and MG4 if setting is on air from outside (and set to windscreen fan at 3) then no steaming. Any other setting on the air source (including auto) then they can steam in wet / humid conditions. So keep mine on outside air to windscreen and very rarely had any problem (other than remote heating via app can reset to auto). Others seem to steam up even with air to outside and air at windscreen.

For those who experience windows steaming up, do you run the a/c regularly or do you switch it off at times? Is the condenser draining properly? I’m wondering if the condenser isn’t draining properly and condensation returns back to the cabin somehow

I havent run the AC during winter this year, I put my fan at 5 with air directed at the windscreen and footwells, air intake from exterior with temperature set to 22 and it doesnt steam up.

There are lots of variables here though - how many people are in your car? was it raining when you got into the car? Did you use pre-heat function before you got in?

I do use the pre-heat function when I am out at a restaurant or the cinema and its really good, though one person did ask in the car park if it was my car cos he thought I'd left my lights on :giggle:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back