MG4 steaming up problem

I think this is what I've done in the past with some success :-

1. Checked all footwells / boot well for damp (i.e leaks)
2. If they were all OK, I leave the car on in dry weather with all windows a half inch down and the HVAC set to the highest temp setting and AC on (set to external air). I got the the car as hot as possible to dry out the seats and carpets etc. and let the moisture escape through the windows and AC.
3. I thoroughy cleaned the inside of all the glass with a good glass cleaner. I used two clean dry glass cloths to start with and kept one as dry as possible for final buff over.
4. From then on I kept AC on all the time over Winter (set to external air)

Modern cars are so well insulated that moisture can't get out so easily so you need to occasionally do a routine similar to the above. I doubt it's an MG issue (unless its a leak) as I've read countless similar threads on other car forums at this time of the year.

Some people have added two more steps as follows :-

5. Buy some car dehumidifier bags that sit on your dash under the windscreen.
6. Applied an Anti-fogging coating to the inside of the windcreen once fully cleaned.

Get a hotel room to shag in rather than your car. That should solve it;)😁
oohmatron.jpg

Interesting that other people are also seeing this. I had noticed it was steaming up a lot but I'd always just assumed it was just due to my pup being excited to take a car trip and panting all over everywhere...

The car absorbs a lot of moisture during manufacture, sitting at the docks and during the sea voyage and can take some time to evaporate especially at this time of the year.

Page 90 of the owner's manual says:
Note: Leaving the system in internal recirculation mode can cause the windscreen to mist. If this
happens, turn on the defrost/demist mode.
My car is 11 months old - its not “damp” from manufacture - if thats ever a thing. Recirc was on. Still misted like crazy

Recirc was on. Still misted like crazy
Turn recirc off so you get fresh air from the outside which will go through the air dryer. Recirc just keeps recirculating the moist air already inside the car without going through the air dryer and the moisture level will increase every time you breath out.

Turn recirc off so you get fresh air from the outside which will go through the air dryer. Recirc just keeps recirculating the moist air already inside the car without going through the air dryer and the moisture level will increase every time you breath out.
Also recirc passes the damp air through the paper pollen filter which will hold moisture for future misting up.

Yeah "Air Recirculation" should be renamed "Mist Up", I rarely use it unless I'm behind a lorry or diesel car pushing out black smoke. When I used it on my previous car it made people in the back sick, had to stop the car to let them out and throw up :confused: so after that I never used it.

This is the first car I've seen with auto air circulation, I'm wondering if it has a sensor in the air filter that switches on recirculation if it detects particles from outside? Otherwise how does it operate?

I don't know, but I can say that leaving it on auto is not causing my car to mist up. Also, I had a CO2 meter in the back of the car the other day and I noticed it was reading under 500ppm even with two of us in the car. In my previous car, with recirculation on, I was seeing numbers above 1,500ppm even with only me in the car, and that is high enough to make people feel slightly unwell.

Typing error.

The car was set to auto and external air.

Recirc was never on. That would have been stupid 😂

I do get this more than most cars I've had, but I have found that my car seems to hold the damp from passengers more. So for example 2 people and a wet dog get in the car, the car instantly mists up more than any car I've had.

Also I can't get my recirc button to stay in the external air setting when the fans are off altogether.

When on auto the car does change the recirc to external air, but this always changes back when you turn off auto heating/cooling.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all very strange. My car barely mists at all, with the recirculation set to auto. It never changes the recirculation setting on its own. Some sort of bug or fault?

For those who experience windows steaming up, do you run the a/c regularly or do you switch it off at times? Is the condenser draining properly? I’m wondering if the condenser isn’t draining properly and condensation returns back to the cabin somehow
Just an update

As I posted, mine did mist up quite badly especially when wife & daughter were in the car as well but I never had the AC/heater running continuously

The last 2 days

When we first get in the car I turn on back & front window demister to clear it, turn them off & just left the AC/heater on ( set to 22° ) while in the car, no more misting up

We have had this at times. A few days ago we realised there is an auto setting as well as recirculate or fresh air and getting rid of that resolved the issue. I guess it had gone to record to warm us up but it couldn't see the misting - and yes we had aircon off - you can see the miles drop off the range and come back on as you change these settings!

Last edited:
Has anyone had the steaming up issue at various times & why have spoken to another owner who has the same issue.
Here is how to solve the steaming issue: Make sure little vent icon is selected to fresh air (don't use the A auto or recirculate symbol. Switch heating to manual with a pleasant fan speed and select the vents you want (I use screen and feet). Select a comfortable temp. Use AC as needed in hot weather or very wet weather as needed. Make sure to turn off AC about 5mins before stopping car so AC unit dries out. I also find heating in the eco mode rather ineffective, so I have eco off in winter

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back