Picking up MG4 tomorrow - then straight on 500+ mile holiday trip

Hi everyone,

Soon to be new MG4 LR owner here (Camden Grey for anyone interested). Due to pick up my car tomorrow morning, then we're off to Cornwall for a week (in the car!)

Obviously I won't have a tonne of time to familiarise myself with all of the ins and outs of the cars functionality before we set off, but I covered a lot of the general stuff on the test drive, and I've been researching a fair bit about what it can do.

Just wondering if anyone has any general tips for a newbie to EV ownership that might be useful for us? So far:

• downloaded zap map, and will be looking at this today to see what it suggests charging wise. (Travelling from the Midlands)
  • checked local chargers around the area we are staying (looks to be a few dotted around - we're staying just outside of Padstow)
  • realistically I'll need to stop at least twice on the journey down (knees - hopefully cruise control will help this though!)

Does anyone have any general pointers for longer distance in terms of car setup? I've read regen braking set to 1 when on motorways is better when using cruise control? Do those of you who do longer distance often find there's a particular set of chargers that are more prevalent at service stations? (Just thinking to pre download apps etc.)

Thanks for any advice!
Pagz
Hi Pagz,

I'll be doing that journey soon in my mg4 se (camden grey too). I live in Shropshire, so around the same distance.

Zap map certainly looks like a must. One thing to note with that, is you have to subscribe to enable use of it on android auto . Which have have decided to do and it works very well, simply select your charger from the list and it puts it into Google maps for you.

Look for the chargers that can do 120kw+ there are a few on the way down and we will certainly be making the most of them.

I haven't tried lowering the regen on the motorway (I do 40 miles a day to work) but unless you hit traffic, I can't see how it would help.

I'll give it a go though and see if it does.

I hope you enjoy your car and have a great holiday!

I drove Birmingham to St Ives day after picking up car. Mine only sr. Other answers all helpful but to add if you chose to stop earlier Bristol way the MFG near cribbs causeway is excellent. Shop toilets good chargers etc. Not far off M5. Enjoy
Perfect, thank you! I had actually scheduled a stop for Lysander Rd, which looks like a McDonald's. But that MFG is right next to it so I'll probably go there instead! (Either/or can be a backup option)

Important advice. Make sure the car pairs to the app at the dealership.

Then: take the plane from Land's End to the Scilly Isles. Have a cup of tea at the Karma St. Martin's. :)
Got it downloaded and registered, so all ready to pair tomorrow!

Hi Pagz,

I'll be doing that journey soon in my mg4 se (camden grey too). I live in Shropshire, so around the same distance.

Zap map certainly looks like a must. One thing to note with that, is you have to subscribe to enable use of it on android auto . Which have have decided to do and it works very well, simply select your charger from the list and it puts it into Google maps for you.

Look for the chargers that can do 120kw+ there are a few on the way down and we will certainly be making the most of them.

I haven't tried lowering the regen on the motorway (I do 40 miles a day to work) but unless you hit traffic, I can't see how it would help.

I'll give it a go though and see if it does.

I hope you enjoy your car and have a great holiday!
Hey Oliver. I'd noticed that about zap map, but I've used ABRP to plan the route, as it lets you set a % that you want to arrive at your destination with (which I didn't spot on standard zap map). I've then just exported into Google maps with my two stops ☺️

Hopefully all goes according to plan! I'll let you know if I come across anything that I think will help your trip!

Download electroverse app (octopus app) I reckon its better than ABRP and zap map. It will work out your journey stopping at chargers that use their card as an option. It is very good and takes the worry out of planning. You can export by one step to google or apple maps.

Just though I'd let you all know we've arrived without issue down in Cornwall!

Ended up doing a stop at a McDonald's just by Bristol to use Instavolts 59%-95% (25 mins-ish). Then another stop at the M5 Exeter services and used Gridserve from 59%-98% (35 mins-ish). Wasn't waiting at all for a charger, and didn't stop there any longer than we would have done anyway (toilet, drink, food etc.)

All in all great drive apart from the 30 min delay on the motorway. Ended up with a total time of about 6hours, 3.8mls/kWh, AVG speed of 40 mph. Car was rammed with stuff.

Pickup from the dealership was smooth this morning, app paired after some fiddling, and spotted a little blemish which they sorted out pronto. Pretty good turnaround to say I only told them I wanted it on Wednesday afternoon!

Thanks all for your comments and advice! Now to crack a cold one and chill out!

I drove Birmingham to St Ives day after picking up car. Mine only sr. Other answers all helpful but to add if you chose to stop earlier Bristol way the MFG near cribbs causeway is excellent. Shop toilets good chargers etc. Not far off M5. Enjoy
Hi, what is MFG? A few people have mentioned it but I don't know the brand.

Hi, what is MFG? A few people have mentioned it but I don't know the brand.
From their website:
Motor Fuel Group (MFG) is the UK’s largest independent forecourt operator.
With over 900 sites offering customers a growing dual-fuel strategy, a versatile valeting offer and a convenient retail and ‘food to go’ portfolio.

In my view, the car is very easy to drive and adjust to.
I would say that I would turn off as many Driver Aids as you don't feel you need. For example Adaptive Cruise Control and set Lane Keep Assist to Low Intensity.
And just enjoy your new car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel