Tomorrow

SimonS

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
My MG4 journey comes to an end. My Red SE LR is sold and will be collected tomorrow.

It was purchased as a cheap experiment into EV ownership and it has excelled at showing me that EV’s and the charging structure are now at a level where an EV makes sense especially for those that can charge cheaply at home.

It has been 7 months with a car that is nice to drive. A car that is good value for money but a car that you never know what error message or tantrum it will throw up next. Note that I said ‘what’ not ‘when’ because you can virtually guarantee that something will show up on every drive. I can live with most of that but it is the unpredictability that haas got to me. My wife refuses to drive it for that same reason and also because it is too different to a ‘normal’ ICE car. Too much is driven through the screen.

As I posted here at the time, a couple of weeks ago we decided to sell our BMW 320i and test drove some other EV’s and the i4 won through. For my wife it is virtually identical to operate as the 320i the we have traded in against it and she likes that familiarity. I love the fact that it has a Start/Stop button (no pressure pads in the seat) and as soon as I press that button a box appears on the screen for me to untick to disable LKA. That’s it. No diving into menus. No ‘what’s it doing now?’ or god forbid ‘oh look, it’s doing it again!’. We haven’t had a single bing, bong or pop up message since we bought the i4. It just works. It’s also more efficient than the MG4 despite the extra weight and the higher charge speed means we haven’t spent more than 22 minuets at a rapid charger enroute.

The i4 is what all EV’s should be (except maybe the price). It is comfortable. It rides well. It has physical buttons/stalks/levels etc for all the important stuff and voice control that works for anything else. It’s definitely a keeper.

I wish you all well on your MG journeys and I hope MG sort out the software for you sooner rather than later. I’ll still pop in here now and then and if there’s ever a Scottish meet up arranged I’ll come along and hide the i4 in the corner ;)

No contest pal.
BMW has been making cars circa 108 years, SAIC about 27 years.

Also no contest with the price paid between the two.

I have owned many BMWs over the years (since 1986) and will definitely have another at some point.

Still relatively early on in my EV journey and simply could not have got more BHP for the money hence the X Power.

I've no doubt SAIC will get on top of the issues afflicting some of their customers and in particular the X Power vibe problem, because if they don't, they will never have the longevity of a great car maker such as BMW.

I can only talk for some of the X Power owners, but this is our first foray into an MG product, and it will be the bloody last if MG don't sort it out.

They won't go very far if repeat custom is not part of their strategy.

All the best with the i4, it is a fine automobile.

(I'm not even American!🤣)

If your in a position to grab one I honestly don’t think you can beat a BMW

My daughter only very recently has ordered a iX1 ( her first EV ) she will have it by mid June but they have said now things are speeding up it could possibly be before

My brother in law has a 2023 340d. Absolutely stunning car & the drive is incredible. Bearing in mind it’s a diesel I can only imagine how smooth basically the equivalent EV is.

Now I’ve only had my MG coming up to 3 months & thankfully I’ve had no major issues, a few odd quirks but I’m so far enjoying the experience.

Like others have posted on this forum, some interior parts do mark/scratch easily but considering its price compared to other manufacturers & similar spec models it’s still IMO great value & would people rather better quality materials but an extra £4000-5000 on the price? I personally wouldn’t being I wasn’t sure how I was going to get on with an EV

So yes, I’m happy now & hopefully still happy in the future by time will tell.

But all the best with the BMW, I’m pretty sure you will have no regrets

& @Bricktop X PWR … “Automobile” ? I have visions of you driving your X Power, dressed up in your cowboy hat & boots to a bloody rodeo 🤣

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back