MG4 trophy 12V battery

pecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Advice needed please.

Anyone clued up on 12V batteries? I’d like to replace the standard 12V battery with a better spec & larger capacity battery.

I keep reading about so many issues that seem to be down to the standard 12V battery and would like to avoid such issues

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Advice needed please.

Anyone clued up on 12v batteries? I’d like to replace the standard 12v battery with a better spec & larger capacity battery.

I keep reading about so many issues that seem to be down to the standard12v battery and would like to avoid such issues

Thanks
Their are two main problems that could occur with the OEM battery and both are fixable.

The first one, particularly with the fist batches of cars, was that the battery terminals weren't tightened during the PDI checks.

The second one is the 12v battery wasn't being charged by the main traction battery unless the car was either being charged or driven. This is fixed with a software update.

Just to put it into some kind of context. I have one of the early MG4s and haven't had either of these problems and regularly see the 12v battery voltage showing 14v+ on the app so I know it's getting charged even when it hasn't been used for a couple of days.

If you still want to change your battery for peace of mind of the two listed on Halfords website as suitable I'd go for the Yuasa.

Their are two main problems that could occur with the OEM battery and both are fixable.

The first one, particularly with the fist batches of cars, was that the battery terminals weren't tightened during the PDI checks.

The second one is the 12v battery wasn't being charged by the main traction battery unless the car was either being charged or driven. This is fixed with a software update.

Just to put it into some kind of context. I have one of the early MG4s and haven't had either of these problems and regularly see the 12v battery voltage showing 14v+ on the app so I know it's getting charged even when it hasn't been used for a couple of days.

If you still want to change your battery for peace of mind of the two listed on Halfords website as suitable I'd go for the Yuasa.

Thank you, that’s reassuring & helpful

Just for further reassurance I’ve had my trophy since nov 22, parked it for up to 24 days on occasions and have had no issues with the 12v battery at all. As Ian says, check the terminals, get those updates and enjoy the car .

FWIW, changing the battery for a different one won't prevent it going flat in the event of either of the problems mentioned by @Ian Key above.
You're better off spending the money on a 12V booster pack just in case and keep it in the glove box as it's easier to access than the boot if the 12V is flat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just feel the quality of the MG4 factory battery is poor and I'd like to replace it for a quality well made and larger capacity battery

Does anyone know the capacity of the factory fitted MG4 battery ?

I was hoping to find a Bosch battery but no luck, are the Yuasa ones any good ?

The only batteries I've found that are a match

Does anyone know the capacity for the factory battery ?

If anyone has any other options do let me know

Thank you

Last edited:
If you are going to change the battery, consider a leisure one. More expensive but possibly better suited. Check out the other threads.

If you are going to change the battery, consider a leisure one. More expensive but possibly better suited. Check out the other threads.

I've tried searching but I couldn't find anything with recommendations

I've found the following Leisure batteries that appear to fit, however I'm not sure on the different types of batteries, AGM, Wet, EFB

Nothing is straight forward lol

I just feel the quality of the MG4 factory battery is poor and I'd like to replace it for a quality well made and larger capacity battery

Does anyone know the capacity of the factory fitted MG4 battery ?

I was hoping to find a Bosch battery but no luck, are the Yuasa ones any good ?

The only batteries I've found that are a match

Does anyone know the capacity for the factory battery ?
I had a quick Look a while ago as although I’ve never had a problem in 65k for the sake of £40/ £50 or so & on other EV’s I’ve had the 12v is pretty much a consumable, I just haven’t got around to it yet.

It’s definitely a size 063 45ah SAIC branded battery (probably pretty budget and poor), can’t remember the CCA but obviously that’s not important, there is space to fit a larger battery but imo not worth the effort or extra weight, I’d just change it more often if your worried 👍.

My 12 volt battery shows about 12.5 volts when the car is switched off. This rises to 14 volts plus when the vehicle has been driven for a short while. I don't believe the battery is being charged whilst the car is switched off and can therefore slowly discharge because various sensors are active even when the car is off. I regularly go away for four weeks at a time and before I do I connect a trickle charger to the 12 volt battery this ensures that the battery remains in a good usable condition. The other option as somebody has already mentioned is to purchase a booster and keep it in the glove compartment where it is easily accessible.

Did our first longish term parking at Gatwick for 25 days in cold January into February, I had similar trepidation as many others, but all was fine on our return.
Got another airport trip coming up with no fears, stopping off to charge the traction battery ready for the return journey home.

My 12 volt battery shows about 12.5 volts when the car is switched off. This rises to 14 volts plus when the vehicle has been driven for a short while. I don't believe the battery is being charged whilst the car is switched off and can therefore slowly discharge because various sensors are active even when the car is off. I regularly go away for four weeks at a time and before I do I connect a trickle charger to the 12 volt battery this ensures that the battery remains in a good usable condition. The other option as somebody has already mentioned is to purchase a booster and keep it in the glove compartment where it is easily accessible.
Hi.

How do you charge the 12V battery directly? Using what and which point.

The main traction battery recharges the 12v battery when needed even if the car is switched off. See my post #8 in

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back