MG4 Trophy - a Guide

Grriff

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
This is a Guide to an MG4 Trophy (2023 version with R40 infotainment software) which is intended to help drivers quickly understand the features available. I am attaching the pdf version of the Guide to this post. A Word version is also available from a Microsoft OneDrive together with an ‘organisation’ chart of the screens.

I would advise downloading the documents to view them, as opposed to using the online Word and Excel apps, in order to preserve formatting.

The documents available for download are:

A pdf file of the Guide, this is the one to download if you just want the Guide to read.​
A Microsoft ‘Word’ file. Download this only if you wish to amend the document. You will need to have ‘Word’ experience.​
A Microsoft ‘Excel’ file with worksheets showing charts of the ‘Infotainment’ screens.​

Click on the left of the document(s) you want to download, to highlight the document details, and then click on Download on the menu bar at the top. The documents will download to your default directory.

Clicking on the document name will open it in the online MS app (Word and Excel). However, the formatting may not be correct.

Clicking on the three dots to the right of the document name, or right clicking on the name, gives a menu of options.

The Excel file was used to compile the appendices used in the Guide. These were then copied and pasted as a ‘picture’ into the guide. If you wish to modify them, this should be done in Excel. You may need to ‘Ungroup’ the components.

It should be possible to print out the pdf or Word files double sided but the appendices might be better printed single sided, due to ‘bleed through’.

Under the terms of my copyright, you may change and reissue the document, provided you acknowledge my original authorship and do not sell the guide.

I have acknowledged the help given to me by posts on this Forum.

Please let me have comments, especially about errors or omissions, either as a post on this thread or as a private message. If your comments are extensive, please use Revision Marking in 'Word'.

Thanks
David Griffiths
EDIT The document has been removed and replaced with the second edition on 16th January 2024. See the post on this date.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a Guide to an MG4 Trophy (2023 version with R40 infotainment software) which is intended to help drivers quickly understand the features available. I am attaching the pdf version of the Guide to this post. A Word version is also available from a Microsoft OneDrive together with an ‘organisation’ chart of the screens.

I would advise downloading the documents to view them, as opposed to using the online Word and Excel apps, in order to preserve formatting.

The documents available for download are:

A pdf file of the Guide, this is the one to download if you just want the Guide to read.​
A Microsoft ‘Word’ file. Download this only if you wish to amend the document. You will need to have ‘Word’ experience.​
A Microsoft ‘Excel’ file with worksheets showing charts of the ‘Infotainment’ screens.​

Click on the left of the document(s) you want to download, to highlight the document details, and then click on Download on the menu bar at the top. The documents will download to your default directory.

Clicking on the document name will open it in the online MS app (Word and Excel). However, the formatting may not be correct.

Clicking on the three dots to the right of the document name, or right clicking on the name, gives a menu of options.

The Excel file was used to compile the appendices used in the Guide. These were then copied and pasted as a ‘picture’ into the guide. If you wish to modify them, this should be done in Excel. You may need to ‘Ungroup’ the components.

It should be possible to print out the pdf or Word files double sided but the appendices might be better printed single sided, due to ‘bleed through’.

Under the terms of my copyright, you may change and reissue the document, provided you acknowledge my original authorship and do not sell the guide.

I have acknowledged the help given to me by posts on this Forum.

Please let me have comments, especially about errors or omissions, either as a post on this thread or as a private message. If your comments are extensive, please use Revision Marking in 'Word'.

Thanks
David Griffiths
Many thanks for the Guide. I can, though, only see the PDF. Am I missing something?

Brilliant work, David, thanks very much for this! As an owner of 3 weeks, this will be very useful (I have the printed manual from here on the Forum, but yours has personal observations, which are so much more helpful). I created a similar Manual for our shared Narrowboat, and last week at our AGM, many owners were saying how useful it was.

I've only looked at a few pages so far (there's a lot to digest!), but 11.4 states (correctly): 'Home2 screen (U98 & E13)Obtained by swiping left on the Home screen and tapping the appropriate button', while in the Appendices, you have 'Swipe Right'.

I have an iPhone, and it took me several days to figure out the best way to get Apple CarPlay to work - I'm happy to insert a paragraph or two

Thanks @tonybridge I'll make the correction in the second edition which I'm preparing at the moment.
Additions for CarPlay would be most welcome, if you can private message them to me.
Thanks
David

@Grriff . Appendix D. ESC is described as "Emergency Braking", should that not be "Electronic Stability Control" which is a different and more dangerous animal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240113-193623.png
    Screenshot_20240113-193623.png
    732.4 KB · Views: 49
@MarcS . I've done some more research. As you are probably aware the manual states:

Stability Control System ( SCS ) and Traction Control System ( TCS )
SCS is designed to assist the driver in control of driving direction. When SCS detects that the vehicle is not moving in the intended direction, it will intervene by applying brake force to selected wheels or through the power system management system to prevent sliding and assist in bringing
the vehicle back to the right direction.
TCS contributes to maintain the control to the vehicle by improving the vehicle's traction trafficability and driving stability. TCS monitors the driving speed of each wheel
individually. If spin is detected on one wheel, the system automatically brakes that wheel, transferring torque to the opposite, non-spinning wheel. If both wheels are spinning,
the power system output torque will be reduced until
traction is regained.
SCS and TCS are automatically switched on when the vehicle is powered on. And they can be switched off by using the switch located within the Infotainment display.
Note: Disabling SCS and TCS will not affect the operation of ABS . Always disable SCS and TCS when
driving with snow chains fitted.

The main purpose of the button on the shortcut screen therefore appears to be to turn off these control systems if snow chains are fitted. I've amended my guide accordingly.

Thanks again for your help.

I've now written the second edition of the Guide.
It's updated to include iSmart 2, more information on charging, how to open the bonnet and other changes.
Although it's specifically aimed at 2023 Trophy owners, parts will be relevant to other MG4 models. The chapters on Charging (9) and connecting a Smartphone (12) may be useful to all MG EV users.
Corrections, comments etc would be most welcome. Private message me if they are lengthy.
Thanks to all contributors to the Forum who have made the Guide possible.

Attachments

• MG4 Trophy Guide V2-0.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 764
It's updated to include iSmart 2, more information on charging, how to open the bonnet and other changes.
Although it's specifically aimed at 2023 Trophy owners, parts will be relevant to other MG4 models. The chapters on Charging (9) and connecting a Smartphone (12) may be useful to all MG EV users.
Corrections, comments etc would be most welcome. Private message me if they are lengthy.
Brilliant. THANK YOU!

I love the guide, learnt so many things about my new MG4 in a short time, it will be my bedtime reading for days to come, thank you so much

This is an excellent guide, which I am now starting to dip into, having taken delivery of my XPower today. It's already taught me lessons that my dealer could not (like pairing the car to the app) - thank you!
One, possibly dumb question though... what do the U and E references with numbers, usually contained in brackets refer to?

Thanks for your compliments.
The U and E numbers refer to the pages of the User and Infotainment manuals (I couldn't use 'I' because of the confusion with '1'). They probably won't be the same for the XPower.
One would expect that the manuals loaded into the car's infotainment system bore some resemblance to the operation of the car. Experience suggests that this doesn't always happen. Has the Infotainment/Navigation manual been updated for iSmart version 2?

Thank you. I just came back to answer my own question having started to read the guide sequentially and finding this explanation in the early pages. I've not looked at the onboard manuals yet as I found yours easier to read and wanted to get up to speed with the car first. I'll check which versions are installed when I continue my practical experience tomorrow....

Thanks for your compliments.
The U and E numbers refer to the pages of the User and Infotainment manuals (I couldn't use 'I' because of the confusion with '1'). They probably won't be the same for the XPower.
One would expect that the manuals loaded into the car's infotainment system bore some resemblance to the operation of the car. Experience suggests that this doesn't always happen. Has the Infotainment/Navigation manual been updated for iSmart version 2?
I'm confused. The Trophy only has two modes in the lane assist system ? Or is there a difference between LR and ER?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back