MG4 Trophy and Tesla charging at channel tunnel

JimmyTwotimes

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hello all

Pretty specific question so bit of a long shot.

Only had my MG4 trophy a few months so still learning. I may soon be travelling to France by channel tunnel and was hoping to charge the car at Folkestone whilst I waited to board.

Having checked the website the channel tunnel terminal only has Tesla chargers available as all other chargers are down for maintenance.

So simple question, can I use the Tesla chargers for charging my mg 4.

Secondly would I need to bring a cable, I only have the type 2 charge cable which I gather is not compatible with Tesla .

Any info appreciated as I would need to charge before boarding the tunnel.

Thanks in advance.

I used the Tesla chargers at Manchester Trafford centre in Oct. What I found was the leads there where pretty short so beware when parking up if they’re the same at Folkstone.
Also, make sure you download the Tesla app, set up an account and add a payment method in the wallet tab under your account folder.

Yep … looks good on Tesla website :

“Charging
8 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 150kW
CCS Compatibility
This Supercharger is open to Tesla vehicles and Non-Tesla vehicles with CCS compatibility

Charging Fees for Non-Tesla Owner
8:00pm - 12:00am£0.51/kWh
4:00pm - 8:00pm£0.63/kWh
12:00am - 4:00pm£0.51/kWh
Idle fees (up to)£1/min

Amenities
restaurants
wifi
shopping
beverage
restrooms

I used the Tesla chargers at Manchester Trafford centre in Oct. What I found was the leads there where pretty short so beware when parking up if they’re the same at Folkstone.
Also, make sure you download the Tesla app, set up an account and add a payment method in the wallet tab under your account folder.
Done 😊

Yes, apart from the advice above about getting the app and payment set up before your travel, the procedure is:

(NB this is for older Tesla chargers, if you get a V4 it will have a screen and contactless payment).

1. Park as close to the charger as you can (older Tesla chargers have very short cables).

2. Connect charger to your car's charging port.

3. Go into the Tesla app, select "Charge My Non Tesla".

4. Select your location.

5. Look at the base of the charger for the charger number - eg '3A'.

6. Select the right charger number in the app.

7. Press "Begin/Start Charging".

All being well after about 30 seconds or so your car will start charging and the Tesla app will show you live data on the charging.

If it doesn't connect, try:
  • Disconnect, lock and unlock the car and retry.
  • Disconnect and shutdown the car first via the menus.
  • Try a second stall, occasionally one of them is not working.
If you have any trouble unlocking the charger from your charging point (unlikely):
  • Check the charge has finished (app thinks you are done).
  • Lock and unlock the car (usually works).
  • Try unlocking via the car's charging menu.
  • If all else fails, use manual release.

I include this last part because the older Tesla chargers have no UI or buttons.

The only addendum I'd suggest is ... when first plugging in and trying to enable the charge (after you've selected the stall in the app), hold the plug in the car's charge port applying upward pressure. This is to ensure that the control pins make proper contact during the "handshake" process. Once charging has started you can let go.

Note: the above applies really for any CCS charger, as the weight of the plug and cable can cause the plug to tilt down and perhaps not make proper contact with the control pins in the car's charge port. (Said pins being in the Type 2 section of the port). :)

Yes, apart from the advice above about getting the app and payment set up before your travel, the procedure is:

(NB this is for older Tesla chargers, if you get a V4 it will have a screen and contactless payment).

1. Park as close to the charger as you can (older Tesla chargers have very short cables).

2. Connect charger to your car's charging port.

3. Go into the Tesla app, select "Charge My Non Tesla".

4. Select your location.

5. Look at the base of the charger for the charger number - eg '3A'.

6. Select the right charger number in the app.

7. Press "Begin/Start Charging".

All being well after about 30 seconds or so your car will start charging and the Tesla app will show you live data on the charging.

If it doesn't connect, try:
  • Disconnect, lock and unlock the car and retry.
  • Disconnect and shutdown the car first via the menus.
  • Try a second stall, occasionally one of them is not working.
If you have any trouble unlocking the charger from your charging point (unlikely):
  • Check the charge has finished (app thinks you are done).
  • Lock and unlock the car (usually works).
  • Try unlocking via the car's charging menu.
  • If all else fails, use manual release.

I include this last part because the older Tesla chargers have no UI or buttons.
That's excellent, I'll have this on hand in case. Thank you so much 🙏🙏

The only addendum I'd suggest is ... when first plugging in and trying to enable the charge (after you've selected the stall in the app), hold the plug in the car's charge port applying upward pressure. This is to ensure that the control pins make proper contact during the "handshake" process. Once charging has started you can let go.

Note: the above applies really for any CCS charger, as the weight of the plug and cable can cause the plug to tilt down and perhaps not make proper contact with the control pins in the car's charge port. (Said pins being in the Type 2 section of the port). :)
Now this is handy to know too. Thank you.

That's actually incorrect.
There is one button, on the charging plug itself.
Teslas use it to open the charge flap on the car, but for the rest of us it also stops the charge so the car will let go of the plug.

That's actually incorrect.
There is one button, on the charging plug itself.
Teslas use it to open the charge flap on the car, but for the rest of us it also stops the charge so the car will let go of the plug.
I never noticed that, thanks for pointing it out - I have always been ending the charge in the car or the app. Thanks.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back