MG4 Trophy - Condensation

Ian MG4 Trophy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Had mine just over a week and the rear lights are starting to mist-up! Anyone else had this issue?
Waiting for the dealer to ring me back

Attachments

• 20221018_140832.jpg
    20221018_140832.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 438
  • 20221018_143100.jpg
    20221018_143100.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 288
  • 20221018_143108.jpg
    20221018_143108.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 20221018_143138.jpg
    20221018_143138.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 291
  • 20221018_143149.jpg
    20221018_143149.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 20221018_143203.jpg
    20221018_143203.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 310
I don't know the MG position on this but I have come across this situation on a Ford and this is their policy:

Exterior lamps are vented to accommodate normal changes in pressure. Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur if the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a thin mist forms on the interior of the lens. The thin mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation. The amount of time it takes to clear the lens of acceptable mist varies with ambient humidity and lamp types. Normal condensation clears from any lamp in 48 hours under dry conditions.

Do not replace a lamp assembly with acceptable levels of condensation such as:

• presence of thin mist (no streaks, drip marks or droplets are present)
  • fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens

Examples of unacceptable moisture (usually caused by a lamp housing leak):

• water puddling inside the lamp
  • large water droplets, drip marks or streaks present on the interior of the lens

My model 3 was OK for this but my model X was awful. The one with the hole in it cleares quickly but the one without stayed steamed up for weeks.
Not noticed it yet on my MG4 but will keep an eye out. Do they have little holes in them to vent?

Had mine just over a week and the rear lights are starting to mist-up! Anyone else had this issue?
Waiting for the dealer to ring me back
Yes, this has been a bit of a bug bear of mine too. I noticed that they are some small holes at periodic points on the rear spoiler, mabye to lessen this, however, it is clear (or not quite as the case may be) that these holes are not quite fit for purpose.

I have to say, this perspex-esque Cover for the rear tailgate light cluster pretty much lets the design down a little, IMO

Just seen this on FB and wow...I hope my order NEVER looks like this

1669051259103.png

Is this at all common ?

Seal looks to be broken here, surly it isn't just condensation at this point? Looks like heavy deposits (including dirt) have made their way inside the light bar?

View attachment 12933

Is this at all common ?

Seal looks to be broken here, surly it isn't just condensation at this point? Looks like heavy deposits (including dirt) have made their way inside the light bar?
I saw that post too and I think they said they had just washed it. If that was the case and they used warm water it would have expanded the air in the lighting bar but as the plastic cooled the air would have contracted sucking the suds in.

I saw that post too and I think they said they had just washed it. If that was the case and they used warm water it would have expanded the air in the lighting bar but as the plastic cooled the air would have contracted sucking the suds in.
So your not supposed to wash in warm water ?

WTF is this?

I do honestly hope this is the only car affected to this degree as I could not live with that and would be honestly looking at a replacement part or some sort of corrective action. Some light / clear condensation I can understand (like the pics at the start of this thread) but this image here....well...for me this would tip me over the edge .

Common on my ev lights. Holes are to let moisture escape...but winter temps means it hangs about longer in my case

So your not supposed to wash in warm water ?

WTF is this?

I do honestly hope this is the only car affected to this degree as I could not live with that and would be honestly looking at a replacement part or some sort of corrective action. Some light / clear condensation I can understand (like the pics at the start of this thread) but this image here....well...for me this would tip me over the edge .
I was only giving a possible explanation for the amount of suds in the lights

I was only giving a possible explanation for the amount of suds in the lights
Ah, so perhaps he has jet washed it and the pressure has forced in suds too ?

Apologies, I didn't mean to "shout" I am just super surprised at the degree of "condensation" in these lights in particular....and made me wonder about the White Trophy I have on order and I just don't think I could accept this is how is it on this.

View attachment 12933

Is this at all common ?

To be fair, it's was all clear the following day and not been back since and I use a power washer - nothing! That day was quite cold and just the one side of the lights where in the sun, so I'm thinking condensation. My tesla did that every time I washed it the mg seems okay.. So far 🤣

To be fair, it's was all clear the following day and not been back since and I use a power washer - nothing! That day was quite cold and just the one side of the lights where in the sun, so I'm thinking condensation. My tesla did that every time I washed it the mg seems okay.. So far 🤣
thank god ! :p

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel